The Astell & Kern AK120
Dec 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #4,742 of 7,071
I want to use my Ak120 with headphones challenging as K701 or HD650. Of course it's need an amp but it doesn't ruin the quality of the player. Has anyone tried the AK120 with Vurzüge Vorzamp duo (or the new Pure II)?
With a good amp would also improve the quality of IEM as ER-4S?

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,748 of 7,071
AK140 (or whatever is its name) : It's getting closer ....

Indeed, in the mook headphone festival report I can read:

" Iriver was secretly showing off a new prototype with full touch screen faceplate (instead of half a faceplate like AK100 / AK120) to only a few people"

Any one has also seen it or has news about it ? 

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,749 of 7,071
anyone know if AK120 not support Thai font? cos my AK120 is unable to show so vs name in Thai

anyone can help?

It does support thai fonts. All you need to do is to change the language to thai. I know you probably want to have menu language in english and also be able to read thai fonts but that can't be done as far as I know.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4,751 of 7,071
I want to use my Ak120 with headphones challenging as K701 or HD650. Of course it's need an amp but it doesn't ruin the quality of the player. Has anyone tried the AK120 with Vurzüge Vorzamp duo (or the new Pure II)?
With a good amp would also improve the quality of IEM as ER-4S?

Pairing dap with an amp is fine to drive cans. Especially like hd650. Personally i am not fan of pairing dap with an amp. Thou some/many people like it, but for me the double amping effect is still there and i dont like it (always noticeable with iems).

For the PURE II it self, it is a very clean sounding amp with a good impact of bass. Not overly impact, but i feel like the impact is big and deep. The highs is leaning to a fun but also neutral. The energy is there without never loosing it. The mids is very clean, just a tad too laidback for my taste but i would not call this a laidback amp. Detail is nice. Sound stage is everage. (less than eg. hpp1 and conti v3). Overall sq, to me is somehow too digital for my taste. I would expect a bit more warmer. Also the sound is a bit in the cold side compared to my other amp. Pairing this amp with ak120 i am not too like it. Especially the bass is getting bigger and is overly impactful for my taste. However, with hd650 sound is fine but then i would prefer to use my conti v3 + ak120 to drive it, the sound is better for me, more balance and better imaging overall. Good thing about PURE II is that this amp has a low noise floor. I can use my tg334 without hissing spotted. Very quite. And using PURE II with ipod/clasdb resulted very good for driving hd650 or tg334. And for hd650, i prefer conti v3 than pure2.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #4,752 of 7,071
Thank you so much for your answers precise and competent.
I agree with you that, with a wrong pairing, it is very easy to ruin the quality of the DAP. But certainly the AK120 can't to drive properly a HD650 or other binding headphones.
In addition to Vorzüge, I had also thought about Alo Audio The International. You've got to listen to him?

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4,753 of 7,071
Thank you so much for your answers precise and competent.
I agree with you that, with a wrong pairing, it is very easy to ruin the quality of the DAP. But certainly the AK120 can't to drive properly a HD650 or other binding headphones.
In addition to Vorzüge, I had also thought about Alo Audio The International. You've got to listen to him?

I had one before. Actually I have had owned all alo portable series before. But now end up to keep only two of them, which are conti v3 and mk3plus. Between pure2 and international, to be paired with ak120, i would choose pure2. The pure2 has a better clarity between the two, thou, both, to my ears, they have the same impactful bass foundation. The pure2 more crispier, inter is more mellower, warmer, and thicker in sound and also international has more gain than pure2. But pairing inter with ak120 or ak100, they are nice in size wise, but for the sound, the bass is becoming too much, and mids is somewhat less clarity as well (overly warm). However though, if i use ipod (+clas) as source, i would prefer international for driving the hd650, because it has more authority, and the sound is nicely warm and smoother compared to pure2 on the same setup. I am a mids lover. Everytime i listen to the music, mid range is the most part i really concern about. This is why i am not really like pairing dap with an amp because most of external amp will influence the mids quality. In this case, i found from all alo's amp, conti v3 to be the best when paired with my ak120 of presenting the mids, it remain clean and clear for my taste although to be honest, i much prefer using ipod+clasdb+conti v3 than ak120/conti v3, when driving my full size cans (incl. Hd650)

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,754 of 7,071
Thank you very much again for your valuable advice. I understand that, as well as headphones, you can not have the perfect amp for everything.
Given your extensive knowledge of the AK120, I wanted to ask your advice on headphones to use with this player without amplifier.
I'm interested in a universal IEMs (which isolates and that I can use on public transport). But also a portable headphones (quite small so you can easily carry in my bag), also open, to use, for example, in the hotel. On AK120 almost exclusively listening to HD music and lossless files from a CD. I listen to mostly jazz and classical music (symphonic).
I have seen that you have in your equipment the Earsonic S-EM6. How to work with AK120? And the Beyerdynamic DT1350?
Thank you in advance for your kindness and patience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back