The Astell & Kern AK120
Dec 21, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #6,826 of 7,071

Thanks, audionewbi and Eric510 (you a Datsun fan?), I was afraid of that. Well, so much for me ever buying another A&K product...

I'm done with Astell and Kern as well. I reported the random eject issue to two people at the SoCal CanJam and they just stared at me blankly. The Sony ZX2 sounds at least as good with IEMS and the company is a lot more responsive. I also love that it streams Tidal over WiFi. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #6,827 of 7,071

I'm done with Astell and Kern as well. I reported the random eject issue to two people at the SoCal CanJam and they just stared at me blankly. The Sony ZX2 sounds at least as good with IEMS and the company is a lot more responsive. I also love that it streams Tidal over WiFi. 

I was lucky enough to source a battery from Vinnie. They don't even make it feasible to find a working replacement battery for their products.....

An amazing piece of audio equipment (with the mod) but horrendous customer service. Folks with the AK240 and up (AK 1 MILLION eventually) can look forward to this I'm sure.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #6,830 of 7,071
I was able to find a battery that came close to fitting but the case still would not sit flush. You'd most likely have to modify the case to allow for the extra room of a larger battery (ghetto). Vinnie had a battery left from a broken test unit.

Just a warning folks be sure not to remove the battery from the board or you'll need to solder it to the board thereafter. I made that mistake on mine. Better to splice the replacement wires from the new battery I guess? Maybe if someone can salvage a serial # from the original battery they can be sourced? :p

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,831 of 7,071

Yeah, the issue of batteries is going to become important to a lot of A&K customers, sooner or later. Who wants to toss such an expensive toy just because the battery dies? Hopefully A&K will step up, but given their track record let's hope there's an aftermarket source.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #6,832 of 7,071
A tip for anyone wishing to stream using there AK120,the chromecast audio has optical out,connect up to your optical in on your 100/120,download the app on your phone,which you use as the remote and stream(spotify,Tidal,Deezer and so on)
http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/audio/explore/?gclid=CISKmtGLi8oCFdVAGwodykIFmA

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #6,833 of 7,071
Just got an AK120 for a Christmas gift, really loving it so far!
... And then I read the various concerns on this thread and am now somewhat worried for the future. Heh.
Guess I'll just enjoy my new toy for now and baby it.

On a side note, sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is there a way to set the menu so that it goes (top down) A-Z in English, then A-Z in Japanese/other language, instead of the other way around?

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #6,835 of 7,071
  Re battery replacement, just wondering if there's any mention about battery replacement in any of the other AK threads on Head-Fi, like in the AK100 thread. A search is in order. If I see anything I'll mention it.

If you could find a viable option it would be nice.....

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #6,836 of 7,071
FYI, for those in the US looking for a deal on the AK120 Mark I. Buydig.com has few open boxes for $1050 - 20% coupon (CLOSEOUT20) at check out for the final price of $840. That's cheap than most Ebay prices. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product/IRAK120OB/Astell-Kern-AK120-Dual-DAC-Mastering-Quality-Sound-MQS-Portable-System-OPEN-BOX

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #6,837 of 7,071
Yeah, the issue of batteries is going to become important to a lot of A&K customers, sooner or later. Who wants to toss such an expensive toy just because the battery dies? Hopefully A&K will step up, but given their track record let's hope there's an aftermarket source.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this. How long are people getting before the battery goes crap? That's really concerning. I don't want to get another player for at least 4-5 years.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #6,839 of 7,071
I bought a 120 last June from Amazon (Beach Camera) for $800. I wound up returning it as I won a free AK Jr at the AK380 launch event at Stereo Exchange the same day I ordered the AK120. Though sound quality is comparable (the 120 is better, though) the ergonomics of the 120 are far superior.  I wish I had been more aggressive trying to sell the Jr.  If I had been able to sell the Jr before the return period for the 120 ended, I would have kept the 120.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #6,840 of 7,071
  I bought a 120 last June from Amazon (Beach Camera) for $800. I wound up returning it as I won a free AK Jr at the AK380 launch event at Stereo Exchange the same day I ordered the AK120. Though sound quality is comparable (the 120 is better, though) the ergonomics of the 120 are far superior.  I wish I had been more aggressive trying to sell the Jr.  If I had been able to sell the Jr before the return period for the 120 ended, I would have kept the 120.

Honestly, for people liking simple UIs and not needing playlists, the AK120 UI has by far one of the best I've used.
It is straight to the point and intuitive. Only Sony non-tactile DAPs had given me the same satisfaction before.
I hope mine lasts at least another 3 years. So far so good: no glitch, no bug, and the battery is holding on nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back