The Astell & Kern AK120
Dec 2, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,811 of 7,071
Did you try turning off the AK120, connect your optical cable, then turn it back on? That is how I get the optical out to work with my AK100.

Actually, this worked! (Shock, awe, amazement.) Thanks!
Although I'd swear that hadn't previously been the case - that it was possible to unplug the phones, plug in the optical and get data/sound - but maybe I'm hallucinating.

I figured it was a long shot, but a shot, nonetheless. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

The best part of Head-Fi - the helpful people. Again, thanks to everyone!

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6,812 of 7,071
Never having had an AK player before, I am exploring the possibility of an AK100 (Mk1 or 2) or an AK120 as a transport for a Mojo. The current AK website doesn't compare them side by side as they are now old models so I hope to get some help from the ever helpfulexpert owners here:
1. Do both work comfortably with ExFat cards that are formatted outside the players?
2. Do both accept two 128GB cards as I have heard some people claim that one card should be limited to 64GB?
3. Does the lower model also read DSD now?
4. Does the lower model also have balanced out?
Thanks in advance.

Trying ti answer as much as I can, I have an AK100 and an AK100Mk2. The first one lives in a GloveaudioA1 and the second one I use solo if I travel light (or now in a stack with the RSA Predator).

1) & 2) can't help, sorry, don't know.
3) yes, DSD 64 only
4) the AK100 (both versions) don't have any balanced output for headphones. But since you are using them as transport, this wouldn't matter.

Specs are nicely listed here: http://www.aloaudio.com/ak100-mk2

Cheers,
K

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #6,813 of 7,071
AK120 definitely work with 64/128/200Gb microsd cards with stock ex-fat formatting, I never had to format using the DAP itself.
The only thing is that I usually load the files on the cards using the DAP, it's much faster (8-9 Mb/s) than using a microsd car reader connected to my PC (4-5 Mb/s).

I have to try my AK120 with 128+200Gb cards, I'm currently using 64+200Gb cards. I don't have time to try this week, but I'll do it next week.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #6,814 of 7,071
  AK120 definitely work with 64/128/200Gb microsd cards with stock ex-fat formatting, I never had to format using the DAP itself.
The only thing is that I usually load the files on the cards using the DAP, it's much faster (8-9 Mb/s) than using a microsd car reader connected to my PC (4-5 Mb/s).

I have to try my AK120 with 128+200Gb cards, I'm currently using 64+200Gb cards. I don't have time to try this week, but I'll do it next week.

I have two 128gb SanDisk cards in my AK120.  They work great.  No problems at all.  No (additional) formatting required.  Pulled them out the package, popped in the DAP, started transferring files.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #6,815 of 7,071

You're not alone to hear a difference in sound quality from one card to another. I do, and like you say it sucks.The 128 GB cards I have are Sandisk. Also, I received the 200GB ones and I must say that I am very disappointed. They sound even duller than 128 ones. So I put back the 32GB ones...

The Samsung EVO 128GB cards seem pretty good. I have to do more comparing but not as turned off as I was on the larger sandisk cards previously (lol). They were going for $44.99 earlier today on Amazon. They probably jacked them back up again.

EDIT: Ok with a little more time comparing seems like the sound staging is just slightly more spread out. Not noticing the smearing of details like previously. I still think the music sounds a bit more focused and fuller sounding on the lower capacity cards. But at this point I don't think these differences will be a deal breaker :).

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #6,816 of 7,071

Trying ti answer as much as I can, I have an AK100 and an AK100Mk2. The first one lives in a GloveaudioA1 and the second one I use solo if I travel light (or now in a stack with the RSA Predator).

1) & 2) can't help, sorry, don't know.
3) yes, DSD 64 only
4) the AK100 (both versions) don't have any balanced output for headphones. But since you are using them as transport, this wouldn't matter.

Specs are nicely listed here: http://www.aloaudio.com/ak100-mk2

Cheers,
K

Thanks

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #6,818 of 7,071
  The Samsung EVO 128GB cards seem pretty good. I have to do more comparing but not as turned off as I was on the larger sandisk cards previously (lol). They were going for $44.99 earlier today on Amazon. They probably jacked them back up again.

EDIT: Ok with a little more time comparing seems like the sound staging is just slightly more spread out. Not noticing the smearing of details like previously. I still think the music sounds a bit more focused and fuller sounding on the lower capacity cards. But at this point I don't think these differences will be a deal breaker :).

Good. I will order 2.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #6,819 of 7,071
Good. I will order 2.

Let me know your thoughts when you get them in. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

On a positive note I got amazon to compare to the $44.99 sale they had for a short period of time (probably like an hour lol). They refunded me the difference in pricing. Gotta love Amazon and their excellent customer service.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #6,820 of 7,071
Let me know your thoughts when you get them in. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

On a positive note I got amazon to compare to the $44.99 sale they had for a short period of time (probably like an hour lol). They refunded me the difference in pricing. Gotta love Amazon and their excellent customer service.

I sure will. Do you leave them in the exFAT format or do you format them in FAT32? Have you ever did any tests between the two formats to see if there is a difference in sound quality? I don't know if it's me, but I find that FAT32 sounds a little bit better. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,821 of 7,071
I sure will. Do you leave them in the exFAT format or do you format them in FAT32? Have you ever did any tests between the two formats to see if there is a difference in sound quality? I don't know if it's me, but I find that FAT32 sounds a little bit better. 

I havent tried testing between formats on these evos. I did however do so on the 64 GB sandisk cards. I also found it did sound slightly better that way compared to exFAT. But I still was not happy with the sound vs the the lower capacity cards. I have some key tracks that portray the flaws easily.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #6,822 of 7,071
Firmware update question -- This has probably been answered many times in this thread but I seem to have a problem connecting the device to iRiver plus4 to get updated firmware. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The AK120 that I bought is brand new and I use it with the Chord Mojo (and the sound is Amazing!) The existing firmware in the Ak120 is Version 1.40 and I understand there's a 1.42 version.

But I can't seem to connect my device to iRiver plus4, which I've installed on my pc. I've connected the AK120 to the pc using the mini usb to usb cable but it does not show on the iRiver plus4 menu that a device is connected. When I click "device" on the top menu the drop down menu is faint and says "no device connected". So of course the "update firmware" selection in the menu can't be selected.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #6,823 of 7,071
Firmware update question -- This has probably been answered many times in this thread but I seem to have a problem connecting the device to iRiver plus4 to get updated firmware. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The AK120 that I bought is brand new and I use it with the Chord Mojo (and the sound is Amazing!) The existing firmware in the Ak120 is Version 1.40 and I understand there's a 1.42 version.

But I can't seem to connect my device to iRiver plus4, which I've installed on my pc. I've connected the AK120 to the pc using the mini usb to usb cable but it does not show on the iRiver plus4 menu that a device is connected. When I click "device" on the top menu the drop down menu is faint and says "no device connected". So of course the "update firmware" selection in the menu can't be selected.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Just drag and drop the file to your player. Don't put it in any folder and don't connect it to iRiver either. Unplug your player and it will automatically update itself.  If you are really looking for the best sound quality from your player, try version 1.32...

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #6,824 of 7,071
Just drag and drop the file to your player. Don't put it in any folder and don't connect it to iRiver either. Unplug your player and it will automatically update itself.  If you are really looking for the best sound quality from your player, try version 1.32...

Thanks but, sorry, I'm not that familiar with this whole thing. Would you mind clarifying? When you say just drag and drop the file to the player, which file are you referring to, since I'm seeking to update firmware, not add songs. And do you mean I shouldn't connect the player to the iRiver4 program? Then where are the different firmware versions located?

Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #6,825 of 7,071

Thanks but, sorry, I'm not that familiar with this whole thing. Would you mind clarifying? When you say just drag and drop the file to the player, which file are you referring to, since I'm seeking to update firmware, not add songs. And do you mean I shouldn't connect the player to the iRiver4 program? Then where are the different firmware versions located?

Thanks again.

Download the .hex file from iRiver here: http://www.iriver.jp/support/product_94.php
and save it to your computer. Then connect your player to your computer and drag the .hex to your player. Like I said earlier, do not drag it to any folder. Then disconnect the player, and the update will install automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back