The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #6,166 of 7,071

I think most audiophile level cable makers do it that way. The only ones I'm aware of that wasn't dont that way were the cheap consumer non-interchangeable Sony earbuds where it's an uneven Y-split so that one channel cable can go around your neck and the cable to your player drops on one side of the body (note, not talking about the ones with the microphone).

I think there are wires that have single ground config like weaving wires wrapping around the two hot signal wires. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,168 of 7,071
  I purchased one from the Custom-Cable based on their latest promo. Loving the sound i get to hear :), this is my first step into the a audiophile category. 

There are many steps to come.  Welcome aboard

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,169 of 7,071
Hi there.... Just dropped by to say I hope to participate more in this particular threads as I just pulled the trigger on a new AK120.... I found a spot with a few of the £599 bundles left so hopefully it'll be with me later in the week!  Am really very, very excited as this will be my first high end dap.....  I've been floundering about with an iPod 5.5 and an iPhone 5s for a while now for portable audio.  I've a bunch of hi res audio for use indoors and it's about time to get more mobile with it!

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #6,170 of 7,071
Congrats with your purchase and welcome in this very cool community.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6,171 of 7,071
Thanks!

If anyone is interested - and if I'm allowed - I can name where I purchased as I know they have a few of these bundles left. I could not find anywhere else.... I note that the custom cables link is not working anymore so I assume they're out of stock....  Personally, I think £599 is an awesome price!

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,172 of 7,071
  Thanks!

If anyone is interested - and if I'm allowed - I can name where I purchased as I know they have a few of these bundles left. I could not find anywhere else.... I note that the custom cables link is not working anymore so I assume they're out of stock....  Personally, I think £599 is an awesome price!

it is... i would have gone for this if they announced it before i got the 240..
to maximize your AK120 potential go send it to Mezzo for modding. Sell your bundle goodies and your DAP will be unmatched for its size :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #6,173 of 7,071
The 240 way out of my price league.....  I was going to get the AK100II, and I may when I visit the US later in the year....  The new AK120II also a bit out of my budget, but the AK120 with dual dac-  at that price - could not be procrastinated upon any longer....!

Tell me more about this Mezzo mod.... Uncle Google not guiding me right....  but then I'm probably doing it wrong!

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #6,174 of 7,071
  Hi there.... Just dropped by to say I hope to participate more in this particular threads as I just pulled the trigger on a new AK120.... I found a spot with a few of the £599 bundles left so hopefully it'll be with me later in the week!  Am really very, very excited as this will be my first high end dap.....  I've been floundering about with an iPod 5.5 and an iPhone 5s for a while now for portable audio.  I've a bunch of hi res audio for use indoors and it's about time to get more mobile with it!

Congrats on your purchase! 

The 240 way out of my price league.....  I was going to get the AK100II, and I may when I visit the US later in the year....  The new AK120II also a bit out of my budget, but the AK120 with dual dac-  at that price - could not be procrastinated upon any longer....!

Tell me more about this Mezzo mod.... Uncle Google not guiding me right....  but then I'm probably doing it wrong!

yeah the Ak120 is a good buy and welcome to the AK120 club :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #6,175 of 7,071

Or you could sell your AK120 brand new for some profit and use that extra AK100II funds to get the AK240 :)

http://www.mezzohifi.com
Basically it replaces the older WM8740 DACs with the newer top wolfson WM8741 DACs, includes a balanced line out and a phase switch for a smooth sound or fast aggressive sound according to your preference

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #6,176 of 7,071

Congra.  It is an excellent value for money purchase. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #6,177 of 7,071
Or you could sell your AK120 brand new for some profit and use that extra AK100II funds to get the AK240
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.mezzohifi.com
Basically it replaces the older WM8740 DACs with the newer top wolfson WM8741 DACs, includes a balanced line out and a phase switch for a smooth sound or fast aggressive sound according to your preference

Am I reading the mezzo site correctly?? Have they managed to swap out the DAC chips to the 8741s as well as adding balanced functionality, whilst retaining the ability to still use the units headphone out without an amp, if you so choose?

If this is true, then it is a guaranteed purchase for me. This would make it an improvement over the Red Wine mod, functionality wise. Has anyone tried it?

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #6,178 of 7,071

Am I reading the mezzo site correctly?? Have they managed to swap out the DAC chips to the 8741s as well as adding balanced functionality, whilst retaining the ability to still use the units headphone out without an amp, if you so choose?

If this is true, then it is a guaranteed purchase for me. This would make it an improvement over the Red Wine mod, functionality wise. Has anyone tried it?

Yes.. there are a few who has already bought that mod and tried it. @AnakChan has tried it :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #6,179 of 7,071

Yes.. there are a few who has already bought that mod and tried it. @AnakChan has tried it :)

Wow! I can't believe I missed this! The fact you can still use it without the amp on days you need to travel light, makes this an amazing mod :)

For anyone else interested, I just found this thread on head-fi about it  http://www.head-fi.org/t/716707/mezzo-hifi-new-ak120-ak100-mods-wm8741-in-software-mode

Happy days :D

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #6,180 of 7,071

Wow! I can't believe I missed this! The fact you can still use it without the amp on days you need to travel light, makes this an amazing mod :)

For anyone else interested, I just found this thread on head-fi about it  http://www.head-fi.org/t/716707/mezzo-hifi-new-ak120-ak100-mods-wm8741-in-software-mode

Happy days :D

Actually there already is a thread with some impressions for this mod
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716707/mezzo-hifi-new-ak120-ak100-mods-wm8741-in-software-mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back