The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #6,032 of 7,071
Did sound chance with new firmware ? Good or bad ? 

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #6,033 of 7,071
Cant tell the differnce.if there some sonic changes i think its for better..

Weird im enjoying my aktitan/pico power/hd650 more than my wa7 with eh tubes after the update..mybe i got fed up always listening to wa7..

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #6,034 of 7,071
Cant tell the differnce.if there some sonic changes i think its for better..

Weird im enjoying my aktitan/pico power/hd650 more than my wa7 with eh tubes after the update..mybe i got fed up always listening to wa7..

So,you mean it's better than older completely right ? 

And while update is processing,files deletes or not ?

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,035 of 7,071
At long last! I see they have dealt with setting the maximum volume for line out so that one does not have to turn the volume knob. Just loading it now. I also am looking forward to being able to see long song titles on two lines (especially useful to those of us who listen in the main to classical music!

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6,036 of 7,071
OK, this is really really Good!

Firstly, love the line out function. Just got to the settings where the EQ is and you will see line out, so easy.

Secondly. Absolutley love the two lines of information on albums. no more having to wait for text to scroll. Love it.

Best bit and I am waiting for others thoughts but to my ears this is a major sound improvement over 1.32 (which I have been listening to as I felt in the end it had a more organic nature than 1.37)

There is the organic there but things like soundstage in both width and depth have increased, especially in depth. Listening to a vinyl 24/96 rip of Claptons unplugged, Layla and it sounds incredible. So spacious and detailed and yet relaxed at the same time. Its stunning, truly stunning. Even more texture to the instruments.

Now on to the excellent HD tracks Stereo 24/192 KOB. Definitely more relaxed and organic but its like a huge veil has been lifted from both the 1.32 and 1.37 firmware versions. The sound of the brushes on the drums has so much more texture and clarity. Miles's trumpet even more fruity and breathy and much better placement within the soundstage.

The laconic piano has beautiful tone and the sax reedy and delicious.

The biggest thing for me is the sonic veil lifted. I did not realize it was there until hearing this. The music is so much more engrossing.

We waited a long time for this update but boy oh boy it was worth it! Stunning.

I will report tomorrow plugging it into my TU-05 ASP amp but all of these thoughts are with my Beyer T5P's plugged directly into the player.

To my ears its like getting a whole new and much improved player and now easier to use!

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #6,037 of 7,071

Firstly, love the line out function. Just got to the settings where the EQ is and you will see line out, so easy.

Secondly. Absolutley love the two lines of information on albums. no more having to wait for text to scroll. Love it.

Best bit and I am waiting for others thoughts but to my ears this is a major sound improvement over 1.32 (which I have been listening to as I felt in the end it had a more organic nature than 1.37)

There is the organic there but things like soundstage in both width and depth have increased, especially in depth. Listening to a vinyl 24/96 rip of Claptons unplugged, Layla and it sounds incredible. So spacious and detailed and yet relaxed at the same time. Its stunning, truly stunning. Even more texture to the instruments.

Now on to the excellent HD tracks Stereo 24/192 KOB. Definitely more relaxed and organic but its like a huge veil has been lifted from both the 1.32 and 1.37 firmware versions. The sound of the brushes on the drums has so much more texture and clarity. Miles's trumpet even more fruity and breathy and much better placement within the soundstage.

The biggest thing for me is the sonic veil lifted. I did not realize it was there until hearing this. The music is so much more engrossing.

I will report tomorrow plugging it into my TU-05 ASP amp but all of these thoughts are with my Beyer T5P's plugged directly into the player.

To my ears its like getting a whole new and much improved player and now easier to use!

Could you please show how's your line out set up looks like?

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #6,038 of 7,071

so the line out did change the sound,no wonder im enjoying it more thAn before...:)

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #6,039 of 7,071
No No fella's. I have yet to try the line out function! That comes tonight This was listening directly with my T5P's! It was almost back to back between firmwares as I had been listening just before I saw the new firmware so immediately changed the firmware and went back and listened to the same tracks.

It was a substantial improvement.

I will let you know about listening through the new line out arrangement tonight. The ASP TU-05 though having the traditional traits of an SET class A tube amp is also a very revealing amp so I am very much looking forward to the listening session as it should reveal even more the changes.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #6,040 of 7,071
Cables I use to connect to my amp are either Cardas or Audioquest. Good but not expensive cables that do the job. I have tried more exotic stuff but to be honest do not feel there is any tangible improvement in sound quality using them. Both the Audioquest Green and the Cardas match perfectly the AK120 and Analog Squared Paper TU-05. For added reference tubes are Berlin made Telefunkens in the pre amp stage and Japanese TEN corporation in the driving stage. This combination I have found after extensive testing (I have purchased over 50 pairs of tubes!) to give the best sound in all area's.

Busy working today but I will give more thoughts with my main rig tonight. Headphones will be the T5P's as they are the clearest window onto everything that I have heard thus far with full sized headphones. I will add thoughts this morning when listening direct with my ETY ER4S's.

The FAD Piano Forte's will have to wait until the weekend when cooler weather is promised. The reason is though they are wonderful the actually by nature of their shape increase external noise so windows have to be closed and no fans on to get the full beauty of them. They are my soundstage kings though so with the improvements in soundstage depth with the new update I can't wait to hear what they portray!

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #6,042 of 7,071
for me i use whiplash hybrid cable connected to my pico power.enjoying it now with the new firmware..
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, Just to check, when I activate the line out function on my AK120, the volume is the same as per I last left it and not at max which line out usually is. Is this normal or something wrong with my ak120?

Thanks

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6,043 of 7,071
Hi, Just to check, when I activate the line out function on my AK120, the volume is the same as per I last left it and not at max which line out usually is. Is this normal or something wrong with my ak120?

Thanks

No, I get the same. I am listening with my ER4S's at the moment so experimented with an album that is very quite so I knew I would not damage my hearing trying but the volume stays the same but there is a line out symbol displaying. Will report back later once I attach the 120 to my amp.

Just been listening to Amazing Grace from the Mormon tabernacle choir. In the previous firmware choices the massed voices sounded less cohesive but with 1.40 not only can the definition of the voices be hear but the different sections of the choir seem to occupy a clearer space within the sonic. It is also way less tiring to listen to, warmer yes but the odd thing is at the same time there is greater micro details to be heard. Normally one can't have one with the other but you do with this firmware. Orchestral is sublime, listening to a 24/96 version of Sibelius's second symphony and right out of the player with my ER4S's which are notoriously hard to drive there is scale and an effortless deliver that simply was not there yesterday when listening with 1.32.

Best bit for last. My biggest complaint sonically was listening to DSD. It sounded glassy and hard compared to 24/192 but no more, now I think I get what DSD is all about, so natural sounding and effortless, just beautiful.

Really eager to hear others thoughts on all of this but right now it feels like I have bought a whole new player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back