The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #6,001 of 7,071
That's a loaded question on head-fi and I don't want to get into the whole balanced vs single-ended thing, but to my ears, I have always preferred the balanced sound vs the SE. Better separation, bass is tighter with more volume, etc. same diff most systems make going from SE to balanced.

I see you joined head-fi last year. I suggest you go to a meet and listen to all the different setups. SE and balanced. You don't know what your missing till you hear it for the first time but then say goodbye to your wallet.

I think for those who have device with balanced out should making full use of its advantage.

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #6,003 of 7,071
That's a loaded question on head-fi and I don't want to get into the whole balanced vs single-ended thing, but to my ears, I have always preferred the balanced sound vs the SE. Better separation, bass is tighter with more volume, etc. same diff most systems make going from SE to balanced.

I see you joined head-fi last year. I suggest you go to a meet and listen to all the different setups. SE and balanced. You don't know what your missing till you hear it for the first time but then say goodbye to your wallet.
Thanks for the advice.sadly there is no "meet" on my current location.all i do is read reviews and impression on gears before i buy them..

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #6,005 of 7,071
If I did not have $$ tied up in the 000 cable I'd jump. In fact I bet I can sell it, then have Ted make me a kickbutt balanced one!

Why would you not just balance your 000 cable???
You can easily convert the 000 cable to balanced simply by changing the plug to a TRRS. Anyone with basic soldering skills can do this.....even Ted can do it...
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #6,006 of 7,071

Why would you not just balance your 000 cable???
You can easily convert the 000 cable to balanced simply by changing the plug to a TRRS. Anyone with basic soldering skills can do this.....even Ted can do it...
wink.gif

Have to be meticulously careful when do the soldering yourself as the soldering point is tiny

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #6,007 of 7,071
  Have to be meticulously careful when do the soldering yourself as the soldering point is tiny

Yes, been-there-done-that. It's not that hard.....and w-a-y cheaper than buying a whole new cable just to go balanced. The 000 cable is an excellent cable as-is...you should just re-plug it even if you have to send it to Ted IF you can't do it yourself, but I am sure you could if you can solder.

I would gladly do it if you want to send it to me...it might take me 20 minutes to do it.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,008 of 7,071

Yes, been-there-done-that. It's not that hard.....and w-a-y cheaper than buying a whole new cable just to go balanced. The 000 cable is an excellent cable as-is...you should just re-plug it even if you have to send it to Ted IF you can't do it yourself, but I am sure you could if you can solder.

I would gladly do it if you want to send it to me...it might take me 20 minutes to do it.

Yeah, I had to change the connector on my TG334 stock cable because it got caught on a door and I yanked off the connector.  I cut the cable further down and saw the separate ground on L and R channels which were both soldered to the common ground.  Depending on what connector, you can solder the separate grounds and channels to the pins to use with the balance connections.  If you've made cable before, it's just matter of looking up the pins for the balanced connectors.  If you disconnect the cable to the drivers, you can do a continuity check on the digital multimeter to check to see which end goes with which pin.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #6,009 of 7,071

Yeah, I had to change the connector on my TG334 stock cable because it got caught on a door and I yanked off the connector.  I cut the cable further down and saw the separate ground on L and R channels which were both soldered to the common ground.  Depending on what connector, you can solder the separate grounds and channels to the pins to use with the balance connections.  If you've made cable before, it's just matter of looking up the pins for the balanced connectors.  If you disconnect the cable to the drivers, you can do a continuity check on the digital multimeter to check to see which end goes with which pin.

Thanks Guys...Ted contacted, cable packed, addressed, and ready to send tomorrow :) I hope the 001 sounds decent and I'm glad I didn't sell it !

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #6,010 of 7,071

Thanks Guys...Ted contacted, cable packed, addressed, and ready to send tomorrow :) I hope the 001 sounds decent and I'm glad I didn't sell it !

intereted to know how it sounds.  I purchased the 000 (balanced) with the 335DW and have not got around to testing/trying the 001 yet (would be SE though).

I must do it one day to see what difference it makes.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #6,011 of 7,071

intereted to know how it sounds.  I purchased the 000 (balanced) with the 335DW and have not got around to testing/trying the 001 yet (would be SE though).

I must do it one day to see what difference it makes.

Well FWICR,.......tomorrow night I will know more, there was quite a difference between the two. The 000 gives better soundstage, articulates the bass, there is just MORE of FT!334 goodness. Physically the 000 is noticeably thicker. I say save your moolah.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #6,012 of 7,071

You have good skill.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #6,014 of 7,071

Users who are viewing this thread

Back