The Astell & Kern AK120
Nov 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #4,232 of 7,071
  Hey guys just out of curiosity with gapless playback for the first song being played is there this problem that the player kinds of clips of like a millisecond of the start ??

Confirmed. I have that infrequently, seems random, and rarely happens twice in a row on the same track. Weird issue. FW is 1.32, gapless is on.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #4,233 of 7,071
have you seen this $999 DAP (DSD; 192 Gb, OLED 5" screen...) ?  

--> A&K better react soon with a new top-of-the-line DAP !!

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #4,234 of 7,071
Nov 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #4,235 of 7,071
  have you seen this $999 DAP (DSD; 192 Gb, OLED 5" screen...) ?  

--> A&K better react soon with a new top-of-the-line DAP !!

Since this thing isn't supposed to be officially announced until CES in January I don't think iRiver needs to do anything right now. I would brace yourself for the price drop to stay competitive when it finally does.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4,236 of 7,071
Sam, Calyx is more high end maker and if they do it right i doubt iRiver will be able to match unless they drop price below 500$, this is really serious challenge and i am very eager to hear Calyx DAP because it can be the end game for me :D

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,237 of 7,071
Sam, Calyx is more high end maker and if they do it right i doubt iRiver will be able to match unless they drop price below 500$, this is really serious challenge and i am very eager to hear Calyx DAP because it can be the end game for me
biggrin.gif

Especialy if they have a good User Interface onthis BIG OLED screen and... a good play-list support !

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4,238 of 7,071
Especialy if they have a good User Interface onthis BIG OLED screen and... a good play-list support !

yes, this happens, my dreams come true, high end boys slowly perhaps entering portable world, i feel excited and can wait till CES 2014 easily if what i hear will mean end of game. Calyx looks like a real killer on paper, and it looks sooooooo sweet beautifull too.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,239 of 7,071
The big screen actually puts me off it! Its why I got rid of my iTouch and went for a classic. For me all I want is a little bit of album art and track listing. I don't need a huge screen for that. I would rather the money be spent on sonics than screen to be honest.

I actually found using the HM801 refreshing, it reminded me of my old Sony minidisc player back in the 90's. To be honest I could live without album art and all that stuff, as long as I have track listing and artist and album name thats enough. Simple is good!

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #4,241 of 7,071
I agree, I just saw this on the ASP thread as well and a really good thing about the amp was ignored!

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #4,243 of 7,071
The big screen actually puts me off it! Its why I got rid of my iTouch and went for a classic. For me all I want is a little bit of album art and track listing. I don't need a huge screen for that. I would rather the money be spent on sonics than screen to be honest.

I actually found using the HM801 refreshing, it reminded me of my old Sony minidisc player back in the 90's. To be honest I could live without album art and all that stuff, as long as I have track listing and artist and album name thats enough. Simple is good!

Totally agree about the size issue, a is made DAP is to listen music. When it comes to functions/features that do not contribute to sound quality i prefer to have less of it. To me a screen large enough to see to see what i'm listening to and navigate through my songs is enough. No need for a 5" oled touch screen. What would interesting would be if calyx can produce a smaller DAP with sound quality the way surpasses the AK120.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #4,245 of 7,071

Totally agree about the size issue, a is made DAP is to listen music. When it comes to functions/features that do not contribute to sound quality i prefer to have less of it. To me a screen large enough to see to see what i'm listening to and navigate through my songs is enough. No need for a 5" oled touch screen. What would interesting would be if calyx can produce a smaller DAP with sound quality the way surpasses the AK120.

Calyx makes superb DACs and knows its business... so i hope to hear not marginal improvement over AK but a good deal improvement without the need for Vinnie's Mods and else.

as concerns size, how big is AK120+amp attached? not so portable either, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back