The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,801 of 2,262
There's new firmware, v1.18. Anybody know what this update is meant to do?

AK should have release notes in English somewhere, or better yet, include them with the firmware notice on the 240.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,802 of 2,262

AK should have release notes in English somewhere, or better yet, include them with the firmware notice on the 240.

I read a post that said it had something to do with screen updates. For me, 1.17 made my volume knob completely erratic. I don't know if that was a coincidence but then a second coincidence occurred where 1.18 made my volume knob more stable than its been since I've owned my AK240. I remember back in June, Jimmy Moon (iRiver Support) wrote to me and said the volume knob problem was firmware related and that a fix was imminent. Maybe it just took a few more revisions to come to fruition.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,803 of 2,262

There isn't a release note in any language, at least not on iriver/A&K websites. According to a non-official Japanese site, volume operation has been stabilized and the issue in V1.17 of touch panel being unresponsive during startup has been fixed.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #1,804 of 2,262

I read a post that said it had something to do with screen updates. For me, 1.17 made my volume knob completely erratic. I don't know if that was a coincidence but then a second coincidence occurred where 1.18 made my volume knob more stable than its been since I've owned my AK240. I remember back in June, Jimmy Moon (iRiver Support) wrote to me and said the volume knob problem was firmware related and that a fix was imminent. Maybe it just took a few more revisions to come to fruition.

I confirm I had the  volume knob erratic behaviour since the 1.17 update.  I never knew it was firmware related.  Anyway will update to 1.18 to see how it goes.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,805 of 2,262
To me this firmware explanation is crap from iRiver to hide the fact that this part fails easily. Mine got progressively worse independently of firmware upgrades. I sent it to Vinny to replace the part as mine is Rwaked, and now it supposedly works perfectly (have not got it back yet, damn Chinese customs during Christmas).

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,806 of 2,262
Not the same issue, but since 1.17, mine will have sound cut off for a second or two from time to time for no reason :frowning2:.  I just loaded 1.18 into the thing will test it more later.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,807 of 2,262
  Not the same issue, but since 1.17, mine will have sound cut off for a second or two from time to time for no reason :frowning2:.  I just loaded 1.18 into the thing will test it more later.

I don't know what the reasoning was or what was actually claimed to be fixed but a second firmware update in two weeks confirms, IMHO, something was terribly wrong with 1.17.  Previously, my volume problem was never a show stopper but just extremely annoying for a 2.5 grand device. Firmware 1.17 made me seriously think about doing a defective replacement because the volume knob was possessed. All I know is that after 8 months of ownership, I'm at peace with my volume control, which was the only quibble I had with the 240.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,808 of 2,262

Well, if indeed the latest update resolves the issue of possessed volume controls, that's good news. I had my first unit replaced because of this. My only question is why did it take them so long to address this known problem if all it took was a software patch?

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,809 of 2,262
Well, if indeed the latest update resolves the issue of possessed volume controls, that's good news. I had my first unit replaced because of this. My only question is why did it take them so long to address this known problem if all it took was a software patch?

Who knows.  BTW, Moon Audio is sending me the second part of my Blue Note package.  I think it is another book but not really sure.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,812 of 2,262
Dec 11, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #1,813 of 2,262

Coding is tough work. Its possible they might not have known how to write the code to correct the problem. AK caters to a Niche Market which limit there budget for RND. I doubt AK would over look an issue like that if they had knowledge of it.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,814 of 2,262

Coding is tough work. Its possible they might not have known how to write the code to correct the problem. AK caters to a Niche Market which limit there budget for RND. I doubt AK would over look an issue like that if they had knowledge of it.

Very true.  Also, guys don't get your hopes up too high, as my incoming package is probably just the hardcover book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back