The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,551 of 2,262

Just the USB cable... the new one is using an upgraded cable by ALO audio

Thanks!

Quote:
  or RWA it... LoL

But RedWine doesn't exchange the sockets, so that wouldn't help.

That's really a major dissapointment with a 2500$ device (I actually payd 2500€, which is 3250$)... RMA requested from A&K...

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,552 of 2,262
  I'm struggling to see any kind of material improvement from a USB cable...sorry.  Unless the original is crap and suffers from lack of shielding.  I'm sure someone can wax on about the virtues of one they purchased and how it widened the soundstange, etc... but this lil' camper ain't drinkin' that koolaid.  Sorry.

There really isn't beyond what you have stated, but there are difference with cables with the AK240 for some odd reason, it's just an issue with the player.  My experience is there is static or crackle sound at different rate depending on the cable used.  The stock is high speed USB cable.  Don't know why it's doing this, and I'm assuming it's not a problem with them?  It's odd since it happens with every computer I've tried.  It has the sound like when you put a the needle on a record player.  I cannot listen to it as a USB DAC for this reason.  
frown.gif
 Probably my unit is faulty as a USB DAC.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,553 of 2,262
  There really isn't beyond what you have stated, but there are difference with cables with the AK240 for some odd reason, it's just an issue with the player.  My experience is there is static or crackle sound at different rate depending on the cable used.  The stock is high speed USB cable.  Don't know why it's doing this, and I'm assuming it's not a problem with them?  It's odd since it happens with every computer I've tried.  It has the sound like when you put a the needle on a record player.  I cannot listen to it as a USB DAC for this reason.  
frown.gif
 Probably my unit is faulty as a USB DAC.

I am sorry to read this, SE.  I think you are probably spot on and you likely have a loose connection or the like with your particular player.  Hopefully it is still under warranty.

Best of luck getting that resolved.

HS

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,554 of 2,262
Did you try turning off wifi and removing radio sources from area like cell phones and etc.  It is a long shot but I have seen that sort of thing cause crackling noises.

I am sure it is not that easy but worth a shot.

Good luck.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,555 of 2,262
Hi Folks,

Would welcome any advice on which 128Gb Micro SD cards are suitable. Am thinking of getting a Sandisk Ultra for my AK100 II, but concerned it may not be fast enough.

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-plus-class10-for-android/?capacity=128GB

Anyone use this? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Edmond

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,557 of 2,262
I have the regular 128 sandisk ultra that is 10mb/sec less than that one.  I tested on AK100 and worked just fine.  Neither that one or the one I have are speed monsters so I would save money and get the ultra (non) plus model.  I think I got mine for less than 80 bucks on Amazon.

It is now about 15 bucks more than when I purchased it but still much less than even a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B00IIJ6W4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408233806&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+128gb+micro+sd

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,558 of 2,262
Class 10? That's top of the line if I'm not mistaken.

I'm used to the Extreme cards which are faster, so wanted to get done thoughts and feedback :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,559 of 2,262
I have the regular 128 sandisk ultra that is 10mb/sec less than that one.  I tested on AK100 and worked just fine.  Neither that one or the one I have are speed monsters so I would save money and get the ultra (non) plus model.  I think I got mine for less than 80 bucks on Amazon.

It is now about 15 bucks more than when I purchased it but still much less than even a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B00IIJ6W4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408233806&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+128gb+micro+sd

Good to hear! Cheers :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,560 of 2,262

But RedWine doesn't exchange the sockets, so that wouldn't help.

That's really a major dissapointment with a 2500$ device (I actually payd 2500€, which is 3250$)... RMA requested from A&K...

I thought they can help with a true balance line out by drilling a hole on the side...
I agree that the 2.5mm balance is not exactly a genius design in the beginning... wow, 2500 euro for a DAP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back