The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,247 of 2,262
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #1,248 of 2,262

Found the patch notes for v1.15 but it's only currently available on the iRiver's Japanese website.

Gavin also told me he liked the new signature on v1.15.

I wish I could read Japanese ...

Translation: Need 1gb free to upgrade

[Firmware update contents] 
Applicable models: Astell & Kern AK240 
■ Enhancements 
NAS support for MQS: 1 
(Access to the NAS in the same environment in via Wi-Fi from * AK240, it can be downloaded files and streaming playback) 
The two lines displayed in the folder name long: 2 
Ability to change the order of playback from a playlist: 3 
When paired with the smart phone, it displays the phone number to AK240 body side when a call comes in with the Bluetooth: 4 
5: MP3 VBR file playback, the display of "VBR · sample rate" in the bit rate / sample rate display part 
Additional Language Russian, German: 6 

Improved Improvements and operation stability of the other 

[Note] 
■ Data in the body will not disappear, but just in case, important data, please back up always before upgrading. 
■ free space on the player you will need more than 1GB. 
※ FW is the update "OTA (Over-The-Air)" only. 

<Product page>​

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,249 of 2,262

■ Enhancements

(Access to the NAS in the same environment in via Wi-Fi from * AK240, it can be downloaded files and streaming playback)

When paired with the smart phone, it displays the phone number to AK240 body side when a call comes in with the Bluetooth: 4

5: MP3 VBR file playback, the display of "VBR · sample rate" in the bit rate / sample rate display part

Improved Improvements
 and operation stability of the other

[Note]

■ Data in the body will not disappear, but just in case, important data, please back up always before upgrading.

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #1,250 of 2,262

■ Enhancements 

Improved Improvements and operation stability of the other 

[Note] 

<Product page>​

thank you, Saraguie!

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,252 of 2,262
  I just updated my AK240 to V1.15. EQ OFF is still the same sonic signature as PRO. 
confused_face_2.gif
 And using EQ OFF at flat bar makes the sound slightly softer and less aggressive/more natural. Seems like it is still the same setup as V1.11 sonically. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I haven't tried to hear any differences with 1.15 but on 1.11 there was certainly a difference between off and Pro.

I am going to have a listen now to check it. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #1,253 of 2,262
Just had a listen... EQ off and EQ Pro are still different.

It is pretty subtle though.. on Pro the upper mids are ever so slightly smoothed and recessed.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,254 of 2,262
I haven't tried to hear any differences with 1.15 but on 1.11 there was certainly a difference between off and Pro.

I am going to have a listen now to check it. 

I did a reboot again to make sure the AK240 patch is properly installed and running and here is the sonic impression I told Gavin in pm.

"Ok I just tried a full reboot and now I hear all 3 of them to be different from one another. EQ OFF, EQ FLAT and EQ PRO. All sound different from one another. I haven't quite figured out the exact difference in details but EQ OFF sounds the loudest and most aggressive with a slight edginess to the music. PRO sounds more musical but a bit muffled not as clear. EQ FLAT is almost same as PRO but even softer in volume."

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #1,255 of 2,262
Just had a listen... EQ off and EQ Pro are still different.

It is pretty subtle though.. on Pro the upper mids are ever so slightly smoothed and recessed.

After some more listening, I agree the difference between EQ OFF and EQ PRO is very slight. Almost not detectable. EQ OFF has a more forward soundstage presentation while EQ PRO has a slightly more laid back and wider soundstage.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,256 of 2,262
I did a reboot again to make sure the AK240 patch is properly installed and running and here is the sonic impression I told Gavin in pm.

"Ok I just tried a full reboot and now I hear all 3 of them to be different from one another. EQ OFF, EQ FLAT and EQ PRO. All sound different from one another. I haven't quite figured out the exact difference in details but EQ OFF sounds the loudest and most aggressive with a slight edginess to the music. PRO sounds more musical but a bit muffled not as clear. EQ FLAT is almost same as PRO but even softer in volume."

Same as on the AK120 I had. For me, EQ off was always preferred. The more revealing the player, the more noticeable stuff like this becomes.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,257 of 2,262
Well I managed to get a long demo courtesy of the very helpful guy running hifilounge.co.uk in Bedfordshire.

My existing DAP is a Cowon X7, which I always found to be decent but not as good as the much older X5.  Compared to the X7 the AK240 sounds like someone removed a sock covering the tweeter and mid on a traditional speaker.  It really was quite striking and I finally understand what people meant when the X7 was criticised for bass rolloff too.  Actually initially it sounded like the 240 bass was weaker, but the reality the more I tried A/B comparisons is that it's just less prominent because the rest of the sound is present.  Really impressed, the most pleasant results were testing with some FLAC files I made of Boys For Pele by Tori Amos, it sounded like she was right there with me. 

The one not-so-good part is the player really did expose the problems in some of the recent loudness war victims, and a few 80s pop tracks I tried which just had a poor sound balance right from the mixing desk.  Played with the EQ a bit but didn't really find an adequate way to 'dumb down' the sound for those.  It's almost like there should be a 'sounds like your 80s Pioneer hifi with a bass and treble control' mode.  What can you do when a good quality recording simply doesn't exist?

I still want to try out an AK120 before making a decision, I tried out a number of headphones while I was there and the Fostex TH-900 seemed by far the nicest sounding to me, although the treble was a bit stronger than I'd prefer.  I tried some Audeze LCD-XC while I was there and didn't like that pairing at all, overly prominent mid and the low just didn't sound full bodied at all - I suspect they'd sound nicer on a very warm source.  Have also now come to understand just how strong the lows are on the Denon AH-D7100s I own at the moment.

Edit: forgot to ask, is it possible to disable the screen swipe volume control?  So used to swiping up/down to get rid of overlays on Android, I did the same out of habit just after turning the volume down a little.  End result deafening.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,258 of 2,262
Aloha Steve
I know that you traveling a lot , please try this simple DAP and Iem set up

Source : AK 240
Iem : DITA Gold with TRRS plug prototype world 1st Edition

Note :
DITA gold or black with TRRS plug will be launching soon

Sound quality :
So far for me is the best iem pair with AK 240 .
No need to carry my amp , my dac / amp
No need to mod AK 240 sound quality is already excellent
Like DITA born for AK 240
If you like so kind sound quality from Stax like sr 007 mk 2 and sr 009
You will like and like this combo

IMO

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,259 of 2,262
Aloha Steve
I know that you traveling a lot , please try this simple DAP and Iem set up

Source : AK 240
Iem : DITA Gold with TRRS plug prototype world 1st Edition

Note :
DITA gold or black with TRRS plug will be launching soon

Sound quality :
So far for me is the best iem pair with AK 240 .
No need to carry my amp , my dac / amp
No need to mod AK 240 sound quality is already excellent
Like DITA born for AK 240
If you like so kind sound quality from Stax like sr 007 mk 2 and sr 009
You will like and like this combo

IMO

Why is it the best combo, Rudi? What have you tried so far? And to claim that it is on par with SR07 MK2 and SR09? That is rather extravagant a claim in respect of an iem. Details would be appreciated, Rudi. Not just a broad sweep like that. :wink:

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,260 of 2,262
Why is it the best combo, Rudi? What have you tried so far? And to claim that it is on par with SR07 MK2 and SR09? That is rather extravagant a claim in respect of an iem. Details would be appreciated, Rudi. Not just a broad sweep like that. :wink:

Hi Kiats
When you are coming to Jakarta ?
I have sr 007 mk2 and sr 009 , that's why In my humble opinion the clarity and the sound character from this set up
Ak 240 + DITA Gold with TRRS plug is like my Stax sound character for iems
Specially for jazz and audiophile recording like from OPUS and from Stock Fish
IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back