The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #826 of 2,262
I got es5, waiting for my stage 5
And I also got sem6

Dunno what connectors those but I have seen the UE pin type cables in golden ear and jaben.  MCMX connectors in DMA and jaben.  If you want a cable made then try the 1/F of the Metro Sham Shui near the golden computer centre in Sham Shui Po.  The shops called Pear and the owner is called Bosir he can make you cables with connectors of your choice.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #831 of 2,262
  hey guys,

I am about to purchase a cable for 2.5 balance

but before that can I know more about the 2.5 output performance?

as I would like to order a quite expensive cable,

Can I have more impression on the 2.5 VS 3.5?

thanks guys

I notice a difference in that the sound stage is bigger. I bought mine from Ted Allen of Ted's Headfood Lounge. Here is the thread about him. Easy to speak to, fast shipment, and very reasonable pricing.

May 1, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #835 of 2,262
I notice a difference in that the sound stage is bigger. I bought mine from Ted Allen of Ted's Headfood Lounge. Here is the thread about him. Easy to speak to, fast shipment, and very reasonable pricing.

Yes, I found Ted to be patient and helpful, also fast. Competitive pricing too.

May 1, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #836 of 2,262
Will try out soon
But only the soundstage has changed to you ?

I wonder if balanced out make different differences to different (no pun intended) headphones/earphones because for my IE800, balanced makes a huge difference. I've talked about it in this thread before so I'm not going to repeat it again, you can refer to Fafner's post which is just on the previous page. Basically, stock IE800 sounds really boring now to me after getting used to balanced one.

I live in HK too btw. While you might not get to try out balanced cable with 2.5mm TRRS here on a specific IEM/headphone, there's at least one stock IEM you can try which offers both 3.5mm TRS and 2.5mm TRRS connectors so that you can do a balanced vs unbalanced comparison - AKR03 aka "modified" Roxanne. In fact, I plan to try out the demo tomorrow. I'm surprised there's next to no discussion about it yet and I'm getting really curious how AKR03 performs.

May 1, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #837 of 2,262
  I wonder if balanced out make different differences to different (no pun intended) headphones/earphones because for my IE800, balanced makes a huge difference. I've talked about it in this thread before so I'm not going to repeat it again, you can refer to Fafner's post which is just on the previous page. Basically, stock IE800 sounds really boring now to me after getting used to balanced one.

I live in HK too btw. While you might not get to try out balanced cable with 2.5mm TRRS here on a specific IEM/headphone, there's at least one stock IEM you can try which offers both 3.5mm TRS and 2.5mm TRRS connectors so that you can do a balanced vs unbalanced comparison - AKR03 aka "modified" Roxanne. In fact, I plan to try out the demo tomorrow. I'm surprised there's next to no discussion about it yet and I'm getting really curious how AKR03 performs.

Which shop are you demoing the AKR03?  What is this modification on the AKR03? I thought the only difference between the AKR03 and the universal Roxanne was the 2 cables and the A&K logo on them?

May 1, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #838 of 2,262
Which shop are you demoing the AKR03?  What is this modification on the AKR03? I thought the only difference between the AKR03 and the universal Roxanne was the 2 cables and the A&K logo on them?

DMA has the AK rox. You can also demo the Lakcable Takumi balanced cable there. Let me know if you like the Takumi as I may sell mine if I decide to part with my AK240.

May 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #839 of 2,262
I was just looking into the universal Roxanne and ran across the AKR03!  As an AK120 owner I am very excited, but from all the info I got that I have a feeling that the next version will have treble adjustment...

May 1, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #840 of 2,262
DMA has the AK rox. You can also demo the Lakcable Takumi balanced cable there. Let me know if you like the Takumi as I may sell mine if I decide to part with my AK240.

Thanks, is takumi that 8 wired balanced cable in black and silver?  I didn't like that cable as it felt too clumsy, the sound was nice but flat braided made it too wide, felt like a rope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back