The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #121 of 2,262
  so many people were saying not much difference versus AK120 and HM901

Were a fair portion of those 901 fans?

I think he is using Silver gold in this case.

Originally Posted by kkcc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea it's the silver+gold cable. Though I am asking Gavin if he would be furnishing Tralucent cables with a quality 2.5mm trrs termination. My wallet is gonna die a few more horrible deaths I'm afraid. :p

Okay, gotcha.  I find the Uber to be better, but one of the things it did do for me was close-in the staging noticeably.  So I think you definitely made the right choice in terms of preserving that wiiiiidddddde soundstage. 
smile.gif

I was all the more pissed at the price that the AK240 is THE DAP I was waiting for. I just wanted an AK120 with 901 SQ, and the AK240 brings that, more or less, with dramatically improved UI. Honestly, I could afford it, not easily, but I could.

LOL, the truth will out! 
biggrin.gif
  By contrast, I had no idea of what to expect going into it as I didn't want to get into the fray of previous AK240 threads.  I knew the model number, computed a likely retail price based on that (which turned out to be relatively accurate), and went from there.  So the whole time I'm using it, I can see the retail price in my mind.  But the more I used it, the less it mattered.

Do I think it's expensive?  There's no question.  It is.  But if personal usage and experience is to dictate our opinion of it, then I would say that the price quickly becomes less relevant.  That's why I keep saying that people should take every opportunity to not just hear it, but actually use it.  Search for music, browse through the library, use the streaming over Wi-Fi.  In fact, I think that Astell & Kern should have a few laptops off to the side at every meet and show, with a local hotspot, just so people can experience the streaming.

In other words, regardless of any hype, marketing, or shared impressions (yes I know, funny saying that after I reviewed it), I was convinced of its merits solely by having experienced it.  Do I think everyone will feel the same?  No, of course not.  But do I think that - in this case - personal usage is absolutely essential to forming a qualified judgment of the device?  I absolutely do.

There is definitely some value in having an all in one solution.. think of the convenience! One dap for all casual listening, and desktop rig covers everything else..

Actually, and this depends on the quality of one's desktop rig of course, I think the AK240 can actually hold it's own as a desktop component - IMO - provided that one doesn't have hard-to-drive cans.

The sound stage is really really good with this combo. The amazing part is that the sound feels wide but substantial at the same time. A lot of the times an expanded sound stage would sound empty/hollow or have an echo chamber feel to it, but this combo kept the density despite the width and depth it projected and sounded really as speaker-seque as an IEM had sounded to me thus far. Impressive stage, great transparency and nicely textured and impactful bass, and extended but refined and control treble.
biggrin.gif
I was hoping to rotate through my IEMs with AK240 but seems like the 1plus2 had kept me going back for that "just one more track".....

I know EXACTLY what you mean.  For me, at the end of the day, Team Neutrality (AK240 + UERM) won out as being the most compelling pairing.  But I'll tell ya, Team Soundstage (AK240 + 1plus2) put up a damn good fight - no shame there!

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #122 of 2,262

Just wait for the impressions to come in and see.. :) The latest post in your review thread points to HM901 being better too. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I guess with such polarizing feedback, people would wait for more 'seasoned experts' to give their views in the forum. As a newbie, I can understand why my comments are not really taken into consideration or discussed. Fair enough I guess.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #123 of 2,262

Just wait for the impressions to come in and see.. :) The latest post in your review thread points to HM901 being better too. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I guess with such polarizing feedback, people would wait for more 'seasoned experts' to give their views in the forum. As a newbie, I can understand why my comments are not really taken into consideration or discussed. Fair enough I guess.

Lol, no, I'm not doubting you or anything...
biggrin.gif
  I'm actually asking for real.

Given that the AK240 just came out, I didn't think there were too many people that have compared it extensively to a 901.  So I was wondering if it was a case where it was primarily 901 fans that had simply taken a brief listen to the AK240 - as opposed to people with extensive experience with both.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #125 of 2,262
Guess it is inevitable people would want to compare SQ of AK240 against HM901. Maybe I can share my views as a owner of both. These are extracted from a PM I responded earlier to another 901 owner:

Imho AK240 is mostly on par with 901 with the better cards (balanced/discrete/angel/minibox) in terms of technical quality and transparency/details. AK240 is more flat and has a blacker background than 901 but also a less powerful presentation. Have wider and a bit taller staging than the 901 single ended-mode cards, but less width than balanced card. Haven't got my AK balanced cable to compare balanced to balanced yet.

The AK240 signature is largely neutral without emphasis on any region and very refined. I like that it controls treble energy of various IEMs well - less spiky without losing the sparkle. Bass is deep but less impactful than 901, and mids is also neutral compared to slightly forward on 901.

All in all there is definitely NOT a big gap in absolute SQ and you pay extra really for the design and built, plus UI and wifi streaming that I didn't gave much thought when I bought this but end up using extensively to stream files on my NAS/PC when listening at home. DSD playback is also significantly better than 901 both in terms of SQ and stability but I don't have a large library so not really useful for me.

I tend to find myself liking pop, soft rock, jazz, solo instruments, light listening more on AK240, and hard rock, punk, R&B, edm, classical more on 901.

Cheers :)

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #126 of 2,262
Man, this player looks nice! How well is the included case?

It's a pretty serious case... thicker and more substantial than the AK120's.  That said, it doesn't resonate with me.  It follows the overall shape of the player, but doesn't conform exactly to the various facets and bevels, leaving just the general shape.  The thing is, the facets and bevels do actually give the player much of it's character... while the shape by itself is more on the plain side.  It also doesn't cover the part above the volume knob, which makes it look a bit incomplete.  Aside from all that, it's fine.

Guess it is inevitable people would want to compare SQ of AK240 against HM901. Maybe I can share my views as a owner of both. These are extracted from a PM I responded earlier to another 901 owner:

Imho AK240 is mostly on par with 901 with the better cards (balanced/discrete/angel/minibox) in terms of technical quality and transparency/details. AK240 is more flat and has a blacker background than 901 but also a less powerful presentation. Have wider and a bit taller staging than the 901 single ended-mode cards, but less width than balanced card. Haven't got my AK balanced cable to compare balanced to balanced yet.

The AK240 signature is largely neutral without emphasis on any region and very refined. I like that it controls treble energy of various IEMs well - less spiky without losing the sparkle. Bass is deep but less impactful than 901, and mids is also neutral compared to slightly forward on 901.

All in all there is definitely NOT a big gap in absolute SQ and you pay extra really for the design and built, plus UI and wifi streaming that I didn't gave much thought when I bought this but end up using extensively to stream files on my NAS/PC when listening at home. DSD playback is also significantly better than 901 both in terms of SQ and stability but I don't have a large library so not really useful for me.

I tend to find myself liking pop, soft rock, jazz, solo instruments, light listening more on AK240, and hard rock, punk, R&B, edm, classical more on 901.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you! 
smile.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #128 of 2,262
I should receive mine Monday, it's traveling now. :)

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #130 of 2,262
Cool - From play screen an upward swipe gives you next track and downwards the previous (avoiding opening the notification area on downward is not difficult).

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #131 of 2,262
So, listening to it with my Beyerdynamic T5p's.

Impressions: Extremely revealing and big soundstage!

Will definitely have to try this as a source for my main valve amp. 

Very much looking forward to your thought with it and the valve amp and T5P's. I have the T5P's TU-05 and love the combination with the 120, very very interested to hear your thoughts with the Valve/T5P/240 combo!

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #132 of 2,262
i have not seen much talk about the battery life of the 240?Can anyone give me an idea of the battery life relative to the 120?

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #133 of 2,262
i have not seen much talk about the battery life of the 240?Can anyone give me an idea of the battery life relative to the 120?

I get about 8 hrs from a full charge playing a mixture of dsf, hd flacs, and 320k mp3s.... ymmv

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #134 of 2,262
New Firmware 1.08 is released

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #135 of 2,262

New Firmware 1.08 

[Improvements]
1. Revised an issue when using 'seek' duing DSF playback.
2. Stabilization

http://www.iriver.com/company/notice_view.asp?sno=78&n=-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back