The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #2,011 of 2,262
One other thing, have you let your 240 finish a complete scan of your media? I know an initial scan of my 64gb took quite a while, maybe 10 - 20 minutes. This is an estimate because I've never actually timed it. If you go to the Folders menu option and you see a hour glass beside your SD card then it's scanning, until the hour glass disappears. If you already know this, pardon me, I'm just trying to help you sort out your problem. 
no actually you helped. It seems that my AK is initiaizing a complete scan every time i turn it on. I am not sure how to stop this. Its for sure a Bug

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2,012 of 2,262
  Has anyone compared the new JH Audio Angie to the Shure SE846? I just turned on my AK240 for the first time in a few months tonight with my SE846 and was disappointed in the lack of treble / highs. Wondering if the Angie's might be more my taste...To be honest my ears might just need to get used to the setup again, but I remember not being fully happy with the SE846 before the holidays...I was underwhelmed by the Roxanne's last AXPONA, too much mid focus for me if I am remembering correctly...

If you like detail highs, good sound stage, solid low...you may try Tralucent Audio's Ref.1 and you'd find a very good match to your 240.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,013 of 2,262
no actually you helped. It seems that my AK is initiaizing a complete scan every time i turn it on. I am not sure how to stop this. Its for sure a Bug

Are you running the latest OS, 1.18? The only other thing I can suggest is the Initialize Media Scan option. It does nothing to your songs, it just deletes and rebuilds the media database. It's under Settings > Default Settings.  In the ten months I've had my AK240, I've used it to correct all kinds of weird media anomalies, from metadata display issues to new album entries not appearing. It may not help but it certainly won't do any damage. Maybe it's just at corruption problem. Good Luck!  

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,014 of 2,262
  Finally I got the 240.
Issue I have is when transferring files. I use MBPr with Android file transfer. Every album or two, I have to reconnect the USB.
Is this normal for others? Any suggestion on how to make simple procedures go smoothly?

Thanks!

Have also had this problem. Have not found a reliable fix. Sometimes it works great and I can move gigabytes. Sometimes it makes it through a few songs. Seems to be dramatically more reliable on my PC than my mac. At this point the problems using the microSD card, the occasionally unpredictable volume knob, and the problems transferring/organizing files reliably with AFT have all been bucketed in the list of "charming quirks" related to owning this gem. I still don't have a great feel on whether this is a software or hardware quality control issue (or both), but while I continue to enjoy this player, I would love for iRiver to increase their investment in quality assurance on this product.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,015 of 2,262

Have also had this problem. Have not found a reliable fix. Sometimes it works great and I can move gigabytes. Sometimes it makes it through a few songs. Seems to be dramatically more reliable on my PC than my mac. At this point the problems using the microSD card, the occasionally unpredictable volume knob, and the problems transferring/organizing files reliably with AFT have all been bucketed in the list of "charming quirks" related to owning this gem. I still don't have a great feel on whether this is a software or hardware quality control issue (or both), but while I continue to enjoy this player, I would love for iRiver to increase their investment in quality assurance on this product.

I, too, have this same experience when transferring files. About 75% of the time, transfers go smoothly, even with many gigabytes of files. The other 25% of the time, I have to reboot the 240 or disconnect it from my MacBook Air to get things working right.

Regarding the volume control going wacky on you, I would contact your dealer about getting a replacement under warranty; although the recent firmware update was supposed to remedy this issue, many of the reports I've read here suggest the update didn't help. I was told when I had this problem with my original 240 that it was a hardware issue, and iriver replaced mine with no hassles. I've not had this problem ever on my second 240 and it's been over 9 months now.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #2,017 of 2,262

Where do you purchase these?

You may PM Gavin at Tralucent Audio if you are interested.  Here's his name in this forum...

spkrs01

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,019 of 2,262
Feb 18, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #2,020 of 2,262
Hi guys

I decided to RWAK+ my AK240 including the line-out. Opted for the 3.5mm TTRS balanced version line-out with the view to play to my home system. 

Can anyone recommend what 3-pin, dual XLR cable to get for this line-out and whether it's still necessary to use the SE ground? I see the Chaperone offered, can anyone comment on it's performance?

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #2,024 of 2,262
what exactly was the point of that video?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back