The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Aug 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,461 of 3,220
anybody's done CF mod on ipod photo 4g? do we set the IDE-CF converter in master mode or slave mode? this is the converter i'm using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CF-Compact-Flash-1-8-HDD-IDE-Adapter-IPOD-4G-/220560856772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335a7396c4

my ipod photo keeps restarting once it's connected to pc, hence i cannot install the ipod firmware :frowning2:

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2,462 of 3,220
hey Guys
is there no diymod for the nano 5th gen?
if not, what should be done to find one?

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2,464 of 3,220
Thanks to all who posted, have read almost all 2465 posts. Very informative.

Just started my own 30GB 5.5  imod with internal caps, been meaning to to this for a while.

Replacing the hard drive with an iFlash CF Adapter and a 32GB Kingston CF, and introducing two Elna Silmic II 47uF/6.3vdc caps into the signal path. Using 30AWG solid silver, teflon coated wire. Soldering with Cardas Quad Eutectic solder.

Excepting any missteps, how many hours should it take to complete? I have moderate skill level.

Peace,

T

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #2,465 of 3,220
Hey guys,
im looking for some capacitor to put on my LOD,
i saw a guy using 220uF 25V Elna slimic II capacitor (Huge!!!)
Do u guys if any suggestions if i wanna put the capacitor outside the dock?? which will bring be the best sounding?

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2,466 of 3,220
Hey all,

Hope I'm not too late for the party. I'm rather confused about the capacitors. 
If I can get my elna caps inside the iPod does that mean I don't need to have them on the LOD?

So sorry for this noob question but the many pages have got me all confused (some just wire straight out to the 30 pin and then put the caps in the LOD, so if I do pin out > wires > caps > 30 pin do I still need caps in my LOD?)

Thanks in advance! (=

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,467 of 3,220
Awesome mod. Thought about it for a while, finally pulled the trigger.
Just under 90 minutes from open to close. Burned in for 80+ hours.

Awesome, equals cd quality output with my lossless files on this mod.

Anyone with basic+ solder skills can manage this mod, a 10x magnifier
was the key to an easy time with this mod. Practice on a dead logic board
prior to the real thing.

I desoldered the coupling  caps near the DAC, the inductors near the dock,
and the capacitors that comes right after the dock inductor.

Wanted to, just because.

I also love the CF conversion, the player is much quicker to navigate. silent too.
Battery play is 10 hours+

Thanks everybody!

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2,468 of 3,220
hello folks, as the thread got too crowded, i didn't have chance to read all the pages. i have four clear questions:

on the ipod nano 1g,

1-) can i use THESE capacitors right after the dac? if not, can you give me an affordable alternative? 
2-) do i need to place a resistor after the cap, before the amp?
3-) where can i get the ground around the dac?
4-) can i get the line out right after the smd caps without bothering for some external caps?

thanks.

edit:
5-) does headphone amp connected to line out has better soundquality than ipod's 3.5mm jack?

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2,469 of 3,220
Boy oh boy has this thread grown!  Being one of the original posters, having modded my 5g, 5.5g, nano....then selling them, coming back years later and people are still going strong! That's nice to see.  Makes me wonder if the Redwine iMod guys have stepped up their game!

I'm not crazy about audiophile-ism (if that is a word) as I was 6 years ago (I have a car that burns my money now) but I still have some of my high end stuff.  Great to see you guys hard work, keep at it!  Shout out to Jon!

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #2,470 of 3,220
Ha, I know what you mean... I hung up my boots a year ago but a fellow Head-Fi'er has got me to do a direct out on a 5G for him.... I enjoyed it 
biggrin.gif

Pin tp Pin surgery

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #2,471 of 3,220
You're too kind, wgr73. I feel like I'm in the same situation since things picked up pretty quickly in school a year or two ago; I'm an electrical engineer. However, having just finished my last exam, I have a feeling I may need to occupy my time somehow. :wink:

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,472 of 3,220
Some of you may have noticed that I've been extremely absent from the audio scene for a long time. I'm somewhat making a comeback to the hobby, and I finally fixed one of the broken navigation frame on my website. I'm also going to be moving the diyMod and Carrie amp information to a new website, and I'll restart work I started on other projects in the new year. I'm leaving the starving student club and joining the legion of men with incomes and spare time on the weekends. Watch out, world.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2,473 of 3,220
Quote:
I just wanna say that this whole thread has marked the beginning of my search for ultimate sound quality. Thanks johneeboi

It's posts like these that get me out of bed every morning. You're very welcome. 

Quote:
As I understand it for ipod 5G do not need high-pass filter? Just replace the capacitor? I use the headamp amb mini3.

diyMods to date have gotten by without the high pass filter. For safety's sake, it's best to do it with the filter as the capacitor will charge indefinitely without shunt resistance, possibly ruining your amp and/or headphones.

Quote:
anybody's done CF mod on ipod photo 4g? do we set the IDE-CF converter in master mode or slave mode? this is the converter i'm using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CF-Compact-Flash-1-8-HDD-IDE-Adapter-IPOD-4G-/220560856772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335a7396c4

my ipod photo keeps restarting once it's connected to pc, hence i cannot install the ipod firmware :frowning2:

Did you ever find the answer? One user (vorax) mentioned bending the master/slave select pins down, but I'm not sure to what effect.

Quote:
hey Guys
is there no diymod for the nano 5th gen?
if not, what should be done to find one?

You should give it a shot. Check iFixit's teardown and try and piece the puzzle together.

Quote:
so i have an iriver h120 right now, and i wanna ask something

say i want to mod the line out. will the digital out still work? because the line out and digital out occupy the same output jack. this is my only iriver so i don't want to risk it unless i can confirm the validity of this mod. lol

Any luck? Did you take the adventurous route and find out on your own? :wink:

Quote:
Thanks to all who posted, have read almost all 2465 posts. Very informative.

Just started my own 30GB 5.5  imod with internal caps, been meaning to to this for a while.

Replacing the hard drive with an iFlash CF Adapter and a 32GB Kingston CF, and introducing two Elna Silmic II 47uF/6.3vdc caps into the signal path. Using 30AWG solid silver, teflon coated wire. Soldering with Cardas Quad Eutectic solder.

Excepting any missteps, how many hours should it take to complete? I have moderate skill level.

Peace,

T

Being meticulous, it could take up to two hours. I usually take about an hour from start to finish.

Quote:
Hey guys,
im looking for some capacitor to put on my LOD,
i saw a guy using 220uF 25V Elna slimic II capacitor (Huge!!!)
Do u guys if any suggestions if i wanna put the capacitor outside the dock?? which will bring be the best sounding?

The limit is really up to you. We've seen massive boxes enclosing RCA jacks and 5" long capacitors, and the original diyMod used a box of Tic Tacs as an enclosure taped to the back of the iPod with a hole drilled in the back plate. Depends on how portable you want it to be.

Quote:
Hey all,

Hope I'm not too late for the party. I'm rather confused about the capacitors. 
If I can get my elna caps inside the iPod does that mean I don't need to have them on the LOD?

So sorry for this noob question but the many pages have got me all confused (some just wire straight out to the 30 pin and then put the caps in the LOD, so if I do pin out > wires > caps > 30 pin do I still need caps in my LOD?)

Thanks in advance! (=

You don't need the caps in the LOD. What's important is that there are capacitors in series with the signal path at all. The one set will do, so you don't need caps in the LOD.

Quote:
Awesome mod. Thought about it for a while, finally pulled the trigger.
Just under 90 minutes from open to close. Burned in for 80+ hours.

Awesome, equals cd quality output with my lossless files on this mod.

Anyone with basic+ solder skills can manage this mod, a 10x magnifier
was the key to an easy time with this mod. Practice on a dead logic board
prior to the real thing.

I desoldered the coupling  caps near the DAC, the inductors near the dock,
and the capacitors that comes right after the dock inductor.

Wanted to, just because.

I also love the CF conversion, the player is much quicker to navigate. silent too.
Battery play is 10 hours+

Thanks everybody!

The CF conversion is really the cherry on top. Better sound quality, lighter iPod, greater battery life. Love it.

Quote:
hello folks, as the thread got too crowded, i didn't have chance to read all the pages. i have four clear questions:

on the ipod nano 1g,

1-) can i use THESE capacitors right after the dac? if not, can you give me an affordable alternative? 
2-) do i need to place a resistor after the cap, before the amp?
3-) where can i get the ground around the dac?
4-) can i get the line out right after the smd caps without bothering for some external caps?

thanks.

edit:
5-) does headphone amp connected to line out has better soundquality than ipod's 3.5mm jack?

1) You can use those caps. Electrically, they're more than sufficient. It depends on where you're putting them.
2) Yes.
3) You can just use the dock ground from the iPod, pins 1, 2, 15, 16, 29, and 30. We had one diyModder separately wire two grounds together in his diyMod, and then he spent a long time trying to figure out why it was malfunctioning constantly. :\
4) Then what kind of diyMod are you making? That defeats the purpose. We're replacing the capacitors with our own higher quality ones.
5) Depends on if you connect the amp to the 3.5mm jack. The dock and the iPod have the same analog signal output except that the dock is simply one with the volume maxed out. I'd say they're equivalent, but you may hear otherwise.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #2,474 of 3,220
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to make a cable similar to aloaudios auto imod cable? I wish to make a cable that connects to my existing ipod cable in my car whilst maintaining ipod control functionality

I have elna capacitors and am wondering which wires to solder these to.

Would greatly appreciate any help

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #2,475 of 3,220
@xoger

Silver wire with teflon piping might be solution.
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/75
But in fact i believe it will be hard to acquire ALO Audio quality cabel due to oxigen-free soldering and jack sealing process unless you have vacuum pump in your house and some sick robot-like soldering skills. :)

Can somebody help me with choosing right capacitors for imoding ipod 5,5 gen??

I've found that vishay is best solution since Black Gate is unavailable but i wonder how do it sounds? Anyone tried??
http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-bc-components/mal212853479e3/capacitor-47uf-6-3v/dp/1166614?Ntt=MAL212853479E3

I am also thinking about this sanyo oscon cap and wonder how it sounds..
http://uk.farnell.com/sanyo/6sh47m/capacitor-47uf-6-3v/dp/9189238

Thanks for help in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back