The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Oct 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #2,252 of 3,220
Hi fallen angel. May I know which part of mine is wrong compared to the photo u sent me? Cos
Is it the green arrow part? Cod I'm not v sure what should we do on the part where the green arrow is pointing.

Pls advise. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2,254 of 3,220
There is no need to remove the elements when soldering your wires. In fact, it's recommended that you keep them in there to have a strong mechanical connection point for your wires. If you ever need to perform maintenance work on your diyMod, you will reduce the risk of lifting those SMD pads and (potentially) forever ruining your logic board's ability to be diyModded.

Next to the Wolfson, you should solder to the south pads, not the north ones as pictured. Those are the CZ pads I'm talking about.

At the dock side, you should be soldering to the south pads as well, south being the end with the dock.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2,255 of 3,220
Oh no, I've alr removed them. So now whats the best thing I can do? To solder them back again or to proceed without the elements.

Just to clarify one last bit, so the 4 ends of the wire I'll be soldering to the south end?

Ps: do u thing my proposed rig will be a good one?

Cheers!

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2,256 of 3,220
Indeed, all four wire ends will be going to the south pads. Just leave them the way they are, but make sure you do it right the first time. You'll hate yourself for having to go back to it. I suggest air-wiring from the pads to the back of the iPod first, leaving extra length on the wires, and then proceed to add the caps wherever you want them. That reduces the need for you to go back. Make sure the solder joints are solid and clean before closing it all up.

Your rig seems fine. The strongest point of your rig, I think, is the modded SR80i. I'm assuming that you've already gone ahead and cracked them open. You have greater control over the overall sound since you're able to open them and tune your mods. That's the power of DIY, being able to make valuable changes for relatively low cost.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #2,257 of 3,220
no man, actually i haven't gotten the amp and the headphones yet. so i'm still sourcing out for them. a not v ex, sounds great and a neat looking one. 

so joneenoi, any suggestions for me?

hope to hear from u!

Cheers!
Justin

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #2,264 of 3,220

Quote:
no man, actually i haven't gotten the amp and the headphones yet. so i'm still sourcing out for them. a not v ex, sounds great and a neat looking one. 

so joneenoi, any suggestions for me?

hope to hear from u!

Cheers!
Justin

Justin,

Whatever fits your needs. If you're on a tight budget, then focus on getting the most out of your money. Grados are good beginner headphones. I see a lot of non-head-fi people get the SR60s and SR80s, so you're in good company. It's got the great, balanced, rock sound that's characteristic of Grados (of course), which goes best with vinyl. You probably want to do a bit of reading over in the Headphones and Amplifiers sections of head-fi. I can only give you a small opinion, but you have years of threads to crawl through over there.

Jon

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #2,265 of 3,220
wow sorry to leave you with all that Jon, this place is literally teaming with DIYMODDERS, thread was pretty dead for a while and TBH I really havent been all that fussed with headfi since the change. plus i've been working on building my own portable rig (portable buffalo II with custom balanced IV/headamp) and i'm pretty happy with my listening sitch these days. seems in the time since my last post that mamny people have posted after making mistakes ruining the board when desoldering things. guess that instruction dies hard even with repeated instruction to the contrary people still think the SMD gremlins can get them.

I still did it mostly out of force of habit for some time, but then i've done hundreds and its what people want, even tho they dont know why. heres a suggestion for those who must get rid of every last potential skerrick of the old signal. if you are making your own LOD, dont remove the caps and stuff, but take your output wires to a different set of unused pins for the line out, this way the old lineout is left open circuit and nothing can travel this route and the only way the signal can go is out the new wire. make your LOD to match and voila 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back