The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #2,236 of 3,220
Thanks joneeboi, I will.

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #2,237 of 3,220
I have zune 1g coming in few weeks, so i got few quick questions..

does anyone has successfully modded their 1g Zune? does it provide much better sound than the headphone out?

after reading the tutorial and picture below, i'm still confused on how to connect L & R pin from DAC to the output line out dock of zune. anyone care to explain?

Quote:
It seems we have another addition to the diyMod family: the Microsoft Zune 1G! This bad boy implements the WM8978/WM8758, much like in the iPod 5G/5.5G. I can't actually confirm that this chip is actually the Wolfson except by the process of elimination. Keep in mind that the chip is hiding right underneath the screen. Anyways, happy diyModding.

Zune1G.png

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2,240 of 3,220
You solder wires from those points marked in the diagram to wherever you want to send the signal. You can see how the signal comes straight from the Wolfson, so you'll have the direct sound output from the CODEC. Mind you, nobody's done this mod before (to my knowledge), so you are breaking new ground here. Just know that it's not a guarantee that it'll work. If it does, let us know.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #2,241 of 3,220

Quote:
You solder wires from those points marked in the diagram to wherever you want to send the signal. You can see how the signal comes straight from the Wolfson, so you'll have the direct sound output from the CODEC. Mind you, nobody's done this mod before (to my knowledge), so you are breaking new ground here. Just know that it's not a guarantee that it'll work. If it does, let us know.

wow, i thought it has been done before. because zune 30gb is mentioned briefly in the tutorial of diy mod..

ok, i'll report here if i succeed. wish me luck
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #2,242 of 3,220
hi Jon, how re' you? long time not post on this superb thread..

hi Jul, experiment on Zune huh? goodluck with it buddy..

Jon, guys, anyone, do you had any succeeded DIYmod with iphone 2G ? hopefully someone had make a path to it and share with me here..
as you see, i'm plan to DIYmod my (as-is/broken sim holder/faulty reception) iphone 2G 8gb for an experiment, to replacing my (sorted DAC lineout) Nano 1stGEN mod..

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #2,243 of 3,220
No one's been able to do it. I destroyed my old iPhone trying to replace the battery (a lesson learned in having the right tools), and it looked very impractical to do a traditional diyMod. Your best bet is to bridge the capacitor pads on the logic board. You can find the images on my website.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #2,244 of 3,220
I diyModed my iPod Video 5G with Blackgates. Now burning in while I am listening to them. my iPod was nearly dead because of my friends soldering skills. He burned the pads and caps and at last I managed to solder a channel to some chip. (Near the pads.)

It is working just fine now except channels are reversed. I did the same thing as "the Collected diyMods" website but it turned out to that. (Actually, I am not really sure what I did at the last because of the excitement of burning things) Now I cant reverse channels because my board is almost burned. Is there any software solutions or do i have to build a "channel reverser"?

Also I want to state that I easily fitted in the caps into the iPod with changing the back panel with 60gb's instead of 30gb's. I passed the cable into a hole in the board below lcd and another cable from between lcd and metal casing... Used 28 awg but they are a bit thick I guess.

Edit: Oh yea, I will change the cables at the caps!!!

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #2,246 of 3,220
Also I want to thank foremost joneeboi and who contribute to this thread anyhow...

I will add my comparison between diyMod and the original one and also recabled Fiio E1 and the stock one after burning in. So who has low budget and/or wants real portable systems (not transportable) will have an idea about that rig..

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2,247 of 3,220
What versions of the touch can be diymodded? I am going blind reading this thread. So far I can only find that the 1st gen touches can be done. Thanks

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #2,248 of 3,220
Hi!

Thank you everyone who contributed to this mod!

I just did this mod last night. I used elna slimic ii caps because I couldn't find the black gates. They're great on the high end and balance out the low end (I have a heavy low end).

From what I can hear, it was definitely worth opening up and modding.

Running the diyMod 5.5g > McIntosh Mac 1900 > Original Large Advent speakers or MS-1s

pic of the finished job

KKP_5810.jpg by Kip Keston, on Flickr

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #2,249 of 3,220

Quote:
No one's been able to do it. I destroyed my old iPhone trying to replace the battery (a lesson learned in having the right tools), and it looked very impractical to do a traditional diyMod. Your best bet is to bridge the capacitor pads on the logic board. You can find the images on my website.

too bad, so sorry for what happen to your iPhone Jon...
and the url to your websites are ? *i can't find it on your profile...

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #2,250 of 3,220
hi guys! i'm new to this forum. currently i'm modding my ipod 5g. according to the things i've read, this is what i've done and what i'll be planning to do. please correct me if i'm wrong. ok, firstly i've already desoldered off the 2 sets of parts. attached photos you're able to see it enlarged. 

5067474835_8b590b74d4_b.jpg

should i connect the cables and the black gates this way? after that is it all done?

one more thing, this is my proposed rig. 

above iMod 5g with 32gb CF card mod -> simple LOD -> Headstage Arrow 12HE 2g -> grado sr80i modded.

would it work too?

thanks for the help and the guidance. 

cheers!
Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back