The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #1,022 of 3,220
I suppose if you frame the question like that...
smily_headphones1.gif

No, it's not worth messing up your iPod, especially if there isn't a difference in sound. That's why there is the overload of warnings and disclaimers at the beginning: don't do the mod unless you believe you can do it without destroying your iPod. Either find someone who can do it for you, or practise until you hone the ability to pull it off. There is a definite bass rolloff with the coupling caps used in the iPod, and I noticed a huge shift in bass information after performing the mod. Your mileage may vary, but that's at least what I noticed. Whether the sound difference is "worth it" really is up to you to decide after it's done. It's just one of those things, unless you mod it such that you can ABX the signals, which is quite easily done, actually.

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #1,023 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this mod still worth messing up your iPod if there isn't much of a difference?

is you asking about that, NO...

but i believe all ppl here know that this is an DIY project, so mod your ipod only IF you can take the risk bricken your ipod...if you cannot accept the risks, dont do it...find someone to do that for you, example: RWA !
rolleyes.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #1,024 of 3,220
So, I picked up an iPod touch V2.

Maybe we'll see a mod for that once my hands stop shaking and excitement wears and the carelessness combines with courage to allow me to diyMod this sucker. Don't count on it being anytime soon though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #1,026 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 4G can go both ways as well as a combo of the two: you can stuff the 4G and send the signal to the line out. Check out the OP for the method and the various examples by me, KoKoKrunch, ferds, KerryKing, and no_eye_dear. Figure B.B will be especially helpful to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks joneeeboi!

I was wondering if you plan on stuffing the caps inside the 4th gen ala RWA does, can the hold function still be saved?

I remember someone had to take out the ribbon cable b/c there wasn't enough room in the top left corner....

edit:

is the purpose of cutting the traces in this pic: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...i/DSC02576.jpg to give the 'purist' signal to the headphone jack? if not, why do it

thanks
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #1,027 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the purpose of cutting the traces in this pic: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...i/DSC02576.jpg to give the 'purist' signal to the headphone jack? if not, why do it

I'm pretty sure it's so that you don't mix the DAC output with the internal headphone amp output. You'll obviously only want the DAC signal.

Quote:

So, I picked up an iPod touch V2.

Maybe we'll see a mod for that once my hands stop shaking and excitement wears and the carelessness combines with courage to allow me to diyMod this sucker. Don't count on it being anytime soon though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mod the sucker, mod the sucker!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Little news update: Finally I am getting this 16GB Flash, diyModded, battery updated and Rockboxed 2G Mini off the table and starting to use it
smily_headphones1.gif

No headphone jack, metal end-panel on top, all black
cool.gif

Unfortunately after painting it black (there was originally no black iPod Mini), I realized that the paint stuck to the inner part of the hole for the clickwheel and to get proper use of the clickwheel, I had to remove that, which chipped the case a little. Considering how hard it is to paint it properly, I'm thinking I'll leave it as is until I have lots of free time on my hands to do it meticulously.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #1,028 of 3,220
barqy:

If you want to use the 4G's headphone jack for the line out, you need to cut the original signal somehow. You can remove the coupling caps situated on the headphone jack PCB, or you can take a small hobby knife and cut the traces on the main logic board.

Playing a bit more with the touch, I feel it doesn't really fill any gap in my repertoire of media players. All I really "need" it for is a video player for the gym, which I attend at most twice a week during this time in my life. I am really leaning towards trading it for an iPod 5.5G 80GB. The multi-touch screen is wicked cool, but it probably won't see all that much use. I don't mind watching videos on a smaller screen, it's just that I have so much video to convert that I'd like to have it done all at the same time and have it all fit in one player so I don't have to juggle to compensate for the small memory capacity. I still don't know whether or not I will diyMod this baby before I put it up for trade/sale, so I'm going to need a little more motivation from you guys.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #1,029 of 3,220
Quote:

barqy:

If you want to use the 4G's headphone jack for the line out, you need to cut the original signal somehow. You can remove the coupling caps situated on the headphone jack PCB, or you can take a small hobby knife and cut the traces on the main logic board.

cool thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #1,030 of 3,220
Hi all, first post here.

First, I'd like to give props to all that have forged ahead and did their own mods and posted about it here. It gave me enough incentive to try my own mod, which I will call the RMod. More on that later.

How this all started for me is that about 6 months ago, I was given an Adcom 5802 amp with one bad channel. I'm an EET, but haven't worked in the industry for over 10 years, but figured I could fix it when I found the time. Fast forward to last week, when I found a bad zener and brought the right channel back to life. I purchased some Polk SDA speakers and an Adcom 565 preamp and was thinking about a playback device and iPods popped in my head. Doing the research for high quality iPod audio eventually led me here.
smily_headphones1.gif

This brings me to the RMod. The mods here are great, but I had several criteria I wanted to meet:

1) I wanted it to work with a 5G 80G iPod
2) I wanted the mod to be fully enclosed in a stock iPod case - nice and neat
3) Black Gates as the caps of choice. (hint: think Super E)
4) I wanted to be able to dock the iPod normally so I could have remote control capability and on-screen menus - I'm lazy and don't want to get up if I don't have to ;p

I just completed the RMod on the iPod a little while ago. The dock won't be here for a few days, so I can't fully test until then.

Anyone interested in hearing more?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #1,031 of 3,220
Welcome to head-fi, RMod. Sorry about your wallet.
frown.gif

That sounds really interesting. I think everyone will be waiting eagerly to see how you fit the Black Gates into the iPod. Super E you say? Does that mean you're using 4 caps total? At any rate, thanks for sharing.
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad we could be of help.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #1,032 of 3,220
Yeah, lets hear more! It sounds interesting!

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #1,034 of 3,220

Users who are viewing this thread

Back