The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 3, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #841 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I say Vlad...WOW!

What do you think about it's sound?

You know I don't have golden years, but for sure it noticeably better than Black Gates right away.
I am more curious how does it stand against ALO V-Cap dock, so I am thinking to send it to one of the our reviewers who have one, to see what he think about Sonicap Dock.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #842 of 3,220
VVS_75, always unbelievable work
smily_headphones1.gif
I ordered some Obbligato caps last week. We'll see how they compare to my fully burned in Sonicaps (over 300 hours already).

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #843 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally finished my ultimate Sonicap dock. Now the 5gen imod can be charged while listening and music can be transferred to the player without removing the dock connector.

awesome rig...way to go, vvs_75...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAvanessia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VVS_75, always unbelievable work
smily_headphones1.gif
I ordered some Obbligato caps last week. We'll see how they compare to my fully burned in Sonicaps (over 300 hours already).

dont forget to report here, sis...
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #845 of 3,220
Yeah, vvs_75 that is amazing! Where do you get all of the enclosures from? That build quality is great! Very professional.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #846 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, vvs_75 that is amazing! Where do you get all of the enclosures from? That build quality is great! Very professional.

Thanks!
It a hammond 1455C... enclosure. You can get it from Mouser or DigiKey. The same case as mini^3 .

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #847 of 3,220
Thanks

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #849 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnoshroom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vlad, what are specs on that dock? What is the uF of both the main and bypass caps if you don't mind disclosing that information? Also, did you machine the Hammond case ends for the USB and Phone jack?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The big cap - 4.7mF Sonicap Gen I and small - 0.047mF Gen II

Sonicap Capacitors

The end plates were machined but not by professional. I got them long time ago thinking to use them with my mini^3 but I preferred aluminum stock ends in the end. They made from very hard SS and I decided to use them only because I screwed up original plates that came with the enclosure.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #850 of 3,220
Hello!
This is my first post in this great discussion. Congralutations for all your imod work!
I recently purchase a new 5.5G 30gb ipod and I would like to imod it. If i understand well the 5G imod, the headphone jack is disabled. Why ? I would like to keep the headphone jack functional like the RWA mod. Is it possible ???
Do you think the caps could fit into the ipod if the hard drive is remplaced by a compact flash using tarkan's adapter ?

PS: I hope my english is not too bad :) I'm french!

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #851 of 3,220
Welcome, gueri_fr. Sorry about your wallet.

If you perform the diyMod on your iPod 5G, your headphone jack will still be functional. The DAC has 2 or 3 outputs, so the headphone jack is left completely intact. Regarding tarkan's adapter, I'm not sure if it will fit or not since no one has tested it yet. You'd have to route wires from the front to the back to the front, which might affect the ultimate fit of your iPod. To reduce the effect on the fit, you can solder from the DAC to the caps on the hard drive side, and then straight to the dock's pins. It would be a pain, but it would save you overall trouble with the enclosure.

Let's see if I can do this: Vous ecrivez très bien en anglais, mieux même que des gens venant de l'Amérique du Nord.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #852 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you perform the diyMod on your iPod 5G, your headphone jack will still be functional. The DAC has 2 or 3 outputs, so the headphone jack is left completely intact. Regarding tarkan's adapter, I'm not sure if it will fit or not since no one has tested it yet. You'd have to route wires from the front to the back to the front, which might affect the ultimate fit of your iPod. To reduce the effect on the fit, you can solder from the DAC to the caps on the hard drive side, and then straight to the dock's pins. It would be a pain, but it would save you overall trouble with the enclosure.

Let's see if I can do this: Vous ecrivez très bien en anglais, mieux même que des gens venant de l'Amérique du Nord.

i was thinking to use flat ribbion wilre to connect it over to the HD side but have not got time to source for the correct length Maybe after chinese new year if some one in Singapore need my help on mod

Peter
Singapore

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #853 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey! Very good
wink.gif

I'm still waiting to receive my ipod. Perhaps, I'll try the adventure with a compact flash adapter and a 32Gb Transcend CF. But it depends on the price off course!
I'm happy to see the headphone jack could be left intact. I was confused because aaronylee's guide says in page one : "This mod will also not allow you to use your headphones through the headphone jack."

eric

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #854 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by gueri_fr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey! Very good
wink.gif

I'm still waiting to receive my ipod. Perhaps, I'll try the adventure with a compact flash adapter and a 32Gb Transcend CF. But it depends on the price off course!
I'm happy to see the headphone jack could be left intact. I was confused because aaronylee's guide says in page one : "This mod will also not allow you to use your headphones through the headphone jack."

eric

i confirm you still get audio out from the ipod female jack

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #855 of 3,220
I'm also waiting on some parts to assemble a CF memory diyMod 4G. Whenever that does happen, I will report my findings. Also, when I get another iPod to diyMod, I'm going to do a pictorial to post on Instructables - The World's Biggest DIY & How To Show & Tell to help the newbies even more. Even with all the resources we have now, I think it's still a pretty big stretch for most. Lastly, with the vast amount of free time I have, I have updated OP yet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back