The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #811 of 3,220
Hi guys, I've just opened a thread but I feel I should have asked here: I'll own soon a 1st gen iMod Nano with Vcap-like dock (Sonicaps).
The Nano is extremely slim, which helps keeping a reasonable size for the complete rig. It should also have good battery life, and I plan to use Rockbox on it.
The only drawback is the small capacity, only 4gb.
I wanted to know if it's possible to solder a bigger capacity, like 16gb or 32gb (but even 8gb would be enough)? That would let us have the most awesome, and thinnest, iMod setup, and fill it with a decent number of songs. I have been told the new flash memory would need to be recognized by software, and there could be the need "for a different chip", but I don't really understand these things.
What do you guys think? Is it possible to improve the Nano to the Ultimate flash iMod?

Thanks everyone.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #812 of 3,220
highly unlikely. The flash is soldered to the board. I'd be damned to see that done! not impossible, but, HIGHLY unlikely. Also, you mean diyMOD, right? iMOD is by red wine. May be worth correcting. Anyway, enjoy!
biggrin.gif
We're more likely to see a diy digital out mod appear. Who knows, maybe even applicable to the newer nanos! we'll see who's sacrificial here. meanwhile, some valuable work is being done on that matter and that may be the next best in ultimate ipod mods around the corner.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #813 of 3,220
Actually, Russ, it's possible to parallel flash memory on the first gen nanos, though it'd be a pain and a half. I believe there are two slots for flash memory, but if they're both filled up, you can parallel the flash cards on top of each other, much like stacking buffers. Again, there's an emphasis on pain and a half, but for further reading, check out 8GB iPod nano hack - Hack a Day.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #814 of 3,220
It's beautiful, guys. Now it's only matter to find someone willing to bear such a pain.
biggrin.gif

I've another question: would it be possible replace diyMod (
wink.gif
) DAC chips with better wolfson ones? We might use a better chip that takes the same commands as the wolfson dacs already implemented in iPods. It might be worth trying, to reach the best sound quality possible.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #816 of 3,220
funky. I'd love to be proven wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
looks like nobody there is too certain either though.. anyway, if I either stumble across an ipod graveyard and have the time to make 1 out of 10 dead, or some of you guys beat me to it, rzpct. somehow, its more likely someone will beat me to it.. unless.. anyone got an ipod graveyard? I'd try anything
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #817 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Russ, it's possible to parallel flash memory on the first gen nanos, though it'd be a pain and a half. I believe there are two slots for flash memory, but if they're both filled up, you can parallel the flash cards on top of each other, much like stacking buffers. Again, there's an emphasis on pain and a half, but for further reading, check out 8GB iPod nano hack - Hack a Day.

wow, can't wait to see how to do that...anyone dare to try ?
biggrin.gif
strange, that link from Hack a Day redirrect to search page only...
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #819 of 3,220
All caps have different characteristics, BG's just seem to have those that are generally more favorable, audio wise, in the price range. There are so many options though. Generally, electrolytics aren't that great in the signal path, but their value/size/cost fit the bill better than most others. In fact, the best cap is no cap, but one is definitely needed, somewhere. Check out forum user dsavitsks Notes on coupling caps to get an idea of the differences different caps can make.. although, you may have different preferences, the differences are there.

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #820 of 3,220
If you're not going to use the BG NQ 47uF cap, you don't have to use a 47uF cap. Anything down to 1uF will work, though lower values I'm not sure of. The BG NX 47uF was chosen for its ~high quality and small size, but you don't have to use it. It's convenient because it fits inside some iPod casings, but beyond that, you have a very wide choice of compatible caps besides the BGs.

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #821 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not going to use the BG NQ 47uF cap, you don't have to use a 47uF cap. Anything down to 1uF will work, though lower values I'm not sure of. The BG NX 47uF was chosen for its ~high quality and small size, but you don't have to use it. It's convenient because it fits inside some iPod casings, but beyond that, you have a very wide choice of compatible caps besides the BGs.

Capacitance should depend on your source input impedance (most likely 10K for portable and 50K for home amp). You will have bass roll-off if you pick a cap too small.

The RC filter formula is : f = 1/(2 * π * R * C)

At a minimum go with 0.47uF+ for a 50K Home Amp (1uF will be better but I don't think you can actually tell the difference. For portable amps, grab something 2uF+ (4.7uF is best).

I have a pair of BG caps in there, but after switching to quality film caps in my AlienDAC, the BG's are nowhere nearly as good as AuriCap or Mundorf MCap ZN, only take them if size is a concern.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #822 of 3,220
That sounds interesting, Fallen. Perhaps I will give my Vitamin Qs a run with the diyMod. I'm pretty sure my BGs are already burned in, and I can't tell the difference from before. I think I've listened to it enough to get used to the sound, so I'll post my impressions of the A-B whenever I get around to it. Don't count on it being anytime soon. Thanks for mentioning that.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #823 of 3,220
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #824 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks to all.. i manage to finished mine today..

snip
will compare it to my friend ipod..

I love how slick the caps fits into the 4G ipods...makes me want to get one
evil_smiley.gif
I do have another 5.5G i'll be modding soon(80GB), so I'll post back to let you know how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back