The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 9, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,911 of 3,220

I highly recommend the UHA-6S.MK2 which is very neutral and transparent. Also this amp can handle your diymod with or without caps even tho the amp has no dc coupling caps in the audio path.

I only us the amp for iem's, no cans.

What amp would you recommend for cans (that can handle the output)?

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #2,913 of 3,220
  I've got a bit of a problem with an iPod Im trying to repair!

The plastic 'cap' (I have no idea how its called in english) that secures the LCD flex popped out. Both ends are fine but it seems so fragile that I don't know how to put it back... is there are know trick/way?

Im still looking to find what this PCB flex connector is property called?! 
I couldn't find anything online with the search terms I used.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #2,914 of 3,220

I highly recommend the UHA-6S.MK2 which is very neutral and transparent. Also this amp can handle your diymod with or without caps even tho the amp has no dc coupling caps in the audio path.

I only us the amp for iem's, no cans.

What amp would you recommend for cans (that can handle the output)?

I am not saying that amp is no good for cans, just that I am an iem guy and not used to wearing cans due to comfy. I did try a couple of times paring my son's D2000 cans with the UHA amp and there didn't seem to be any difficulty to drive it.

I am still looking for an alternative amp which is designed similarly (i.e. using NO dc blocking caps yet able to compensate 1.5 volts of dc offsets) just for comparison with the UHA. But so far I am not aware of any other amps capable of doing this as the UHA does.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,917 of 3,220
Quick question. I have an iMod 5.5G. I also have a Monochrome screen 4G iPod. Is there any way to die mod the 4G like the 5.5G? The 5.5G RWA iMod runs the sound single out of the Line Out port on the bottom of the iPod. But for the 4G they wire it directly to the headphone out. Can it not be sent directly to the line out just like the 5.5G? If so it will be a project of mine to do when I get home. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,918 of 3,220
I'm interested in performing the diyMod as kind of a pre-emptive for the future. I currently just have the cmoybb as an amp, but this doesn't mean I wouldn't have a different amp or amps in the future. What is this community's recommendation for a good well rounded capacitor to store inside the iPod (5G 30GB) that will allow the best compatibility for many amps? Is there one? Or do I have to pick and choose which road to take in terms of compatible amps by my cap selection now? I am planning to open up the iPod and upgrade it to Tarkan's iFlash + CF and I wanted to do the diyMod at the same time. I just didn't want to have to pop open the iPod again in the future (except to replace or change CF card). Of course, i would do each upgrade separately in case there are issues so I can isolate which of the mods is causing potential problems. Just wanted to do it all in one go in terms of opening it up.

Short term plans (ideally): find out the community's recommendation for a good well rounded cap to keep internally with the stock 30GB back and perform the mod (I am comfortable with soldering); continue to use the iPod's standard headphone output (with working volume control via click wheel), be able to use docks such as Logitech mm50 or other, maintain transfer/charging capability through the dock with the OEM apple cable (both USB and AC).

Long term plans: In addition to short term plans, to be able to pick and choose/swap in and out different amps (of course via LOD cable) without the need to change internally stored caps

Is this wishful thinking?

Thank you to all contributors of this thread :) I've learned a fair bit!

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,919 of 3,220
  I'm interested in performing the diyMod as kind of a pre-emptive for the future. I currently just have the cmoybb as an amp, but this doesn't mean I wouldn't have a different amp or amps in the future. What is this community's recommendation for a good well rounded capacitor to store inside the iPod (5G 30GB) that will allow the best compatibility for many amps? 

Hi!
An electrolytic capacitor such as Elna Silmic 2 would easily fit inside the 30 gig back. It will work.... however, for best SQ I very strongly recommend using a film cap. Personally, I don't think the electrolytics make enough improvement to bother. 

A 4.7 uf film cap is a good, all-around all purpose value. It will fit in the thick 80 gig back only, it's a no-go in the 30 gig. So you would need to change the back . (bonus! bigger battery will fit!) Wima and Kemet are two brands of the film caps, I've really only used Wima though. Voltage on those are usually 50 or 63 V, doesn't matter which. But get one with the tightest tolerances if possible. (5%)

Another option if you want to keep the thin 30 gig back is use a 2.2 uf Wima film cap. It will absolutely fit in the thin back (I've fit them in a LOD before - search my posts on this thread if you want a pic of the size). The only drawback is if you use a lower impedance amp or device downstream (10k) you will get just a little bass roll-off. Just a bit, and under 70Hz. Any other device with a higher input impedance (25k, 50k) and up, you are good. You may also want to check into the 3.3 uf films..they would be preferable to help that roll off with a 10k device downstream but I'm not sure the exact dimensions. Check the Wima site, or Kemet for exact specs. If they are at all smaller than the 4.7 Wima, they should fit in the thin back. Or just order them as well, they are cheap enough.

Of course, any of these will require the CF swap, so do that at the same time. 

Yet another option is to look at some of the new DAPs coming out. For the $ spent on the CF swap, plus an amp, plus LOD cable, and possibility of ruining or bricking your iPod, there are one-box options that do pretty good. Not discouraging modding, just weigh your options. 

DR650- Sorry, I can't help with your 4G question. No experience with that. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,920 of 3,220
Finally, I modded my iPod 5.5 and this is  what I did; I removed the caps near the DAC, removed inductors near the dock and routed the signal as directed in this thread, I could not find "black gate" caps so, I took caps I could find on the computer motherboard (47uf 6V) because of their size and I managed to fit them inside FiiO LOD cable. I'm actually using the iPod to FiiO E11. the sound is unbelievable! I'm so much surprised. Thank you all for sharing mod info. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2,921 of 3,220
  Finally, I modded my iPod 5.5 and this is  what I did; I removed the caps near the DAC, removed inductors near the dock and routed the signal as directed in this thread, I could not find "black gate" caps so, I took caps I could find on the computer motherboard (47uf 6V) because of their size and I managed to fit them inside FiiO LOD cable. I'm actually using the iPod to FiiO E11. the sound is unbelievable! I'm so much surprised. Thank you all for sharing mod info. 

Pictures!! We need to see!! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,923 of 3,220
That's what I did. I cannot open the LOD cable agai since I have glued it already but that's the cap I used inside it

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,924 of 3,220
I meant to swap the electrolytics you used from the motherboard and use instead a pair of quality film caps. Even something as small as a Wima MKS02 1.0uF/50V (smallest I could find) would be great compared to an electrolytic.

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS0B041000F00KSSD/?qs=OiDNLlGUHG2%2fH%252b9e8cjxog%3d%3d

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2,925 of 3,220
That's what I did. I cannot open the LOD cable agai since I have glued it already but that's the cap I used inside it

I terribly sorry! I tried to upload pictures but it failed, maybe later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back