The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 16, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #2,885 of 3,220
Yes a step up from the Elnas I was using. Did u get your hands on the Supercaps?

Yes tried a few.

Interestingly, today to have some fun I modded another one with NO caps. i.e. flying wires directly to the pins lifted off boards. Absolutely clean bypass. The measured dc offsets are 2 volts from both channels at LOD. I checked with my amp maker some time ago that the amp (UHA-6S.mk2) has no problem handling a few volts. So I had no fear plugging the ipod to the amp.

I don't want to make any conclusion yet, but if your amp can deal with 2 volts I strongly suggest you should try one without caps, and let your ears to draw conclusions.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #2,886 of 3,220
With this no-cap mod, I heard hiss from some of the recordings which I had never heard before. The hiss is definitely not from the 2 volts of dc offsets as the background is dead quite with other tracks.

Treble is more refined. More neutral and transparent than any other mods with caps.

The mod with my favorite caps sounds more dynamic with more bass extension and sound stage, but less clarity (but still very detailed) in comparison to this mod without caps. That obviously has something to do with the caps. But I can't say which mod is superior to the other, as I really enjoy listening to both mods.

I would say the mod without caps is as clean as you can get. That's expected as the audio signals are totally bypassing the board by flying from the dac to those two LOD pins lifted off board.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,887 of 3,220
Hi,

I have to questions:

1) If you use a LOD with Caps with the normal iPod5g without mod will it degrade the sound or something else? or its like nothing as there is no DC offset to clean?

2) Is for 5th gen essential to put the 68k resistor in the LOD?

Thanks

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #2,888 of 3,220
  Hi,

I have to questions:

1) If you use a LOD with Caps with the normal iPod5g without mod will it degrade the sound or something else? or its like nothing as there is no DC offset to clean?

2) Is for 5th gen essential to put the 68k resistor in the LOD?

Thanks

Theoretically I believe the less in the audio path the better. But caps can alter sound. Depending on the results and personal preference, this alteration could be positive or negative. The basic role of the caps is to block DC out from source to amp/iem. The dc offset could cause damage to amp/iem also noise from the dc current. But in the world of audio, theory does not always match results, IMO.

For the 5g, no you don't need the resistor at all for the LOD.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,889 of 3,220
I would like to hear a diymod ipod photo and a diymod ipod mini 2nd gen

I have a theory that the ipod 5.5 doesn't have the best dac in the ipod lineup, I think the photo, video, and mini 2 all just sound different

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #2,890 of 3,220
I would like to hear a diymod ipod photo and a diymod ipod mini 2nd gen

I have a theory that the ipod 5.5 doesn't have the best dac in the ipod lineup, I think the photo, video, and mini 2 all just sound different

Just do a clean bypass from the dac directly to those two pins lifted off board and put in a CF card instead of the SDXC. Don't let your bad experience with the ipod video cloud your judgement. :)

To those who know how to get the most out of these ipod videos, it's a blessing that we can achieve the SQ with a 256GB CF storage running the best UI (rockbox) at a fraction of the cost you would have to pay from buying those overpriced daps. Well not exactly, you can't even buy one hi-end dap with a 256GB CF, and they all use the lowly and inferior micro cards.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2,891 of 3,220
I can't solder by myself because I have essential tremor (left hand shakes a little, and I'm a lefty) so I usually have my girlfriend do it but she's always scared of ruining boards. If she got really good at soldering she said she will mod anything I want

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #2,892 of 3,220
I can't solder by myself because I have essential tremor (left hand shakes a little, and I'm a lefty) so I usually have my girlfriend do it but she's always scared of ruining boards. If she got really good at soldering she said she will mod anything I want

hehhee epic! :)

I need one of these girlfriends too! :) My hand is not super steady too, so Im afraid.

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2,894 of 3,220
If you are in the US, PM thegrobe, or PM no_eye_dear if you are in UK. Both of them may be able to offer service for this direct-out mod. Sorry I do not work on other's ipod.

The downside of having someone mod for you is you can only hear the mod with that specific caps. Maybe you can have the ipod modded without caps and make two LOD's (one with caps one without). That way you can test the mod without caps (in ipod or LOD) if you amp can handle the dc offsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back