The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 5, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,866 of 3,220
Thanks man, I'll definitely shoot him an email.  I'd like to get a silver low profile one.  Plus since my E17 has caps, I wouldn't need any in the LOD.  And for using my iPod in the car, I figure the ALO Copper 18 LOD will work.

Ok, so here is a question I have for everyone.  I think I am more of a treble head then I originally thought.  Does anyone use the equalizer on the iPod when you are using the line out?  To me a Flat equalizer sounds really veiled, or almost as if the music is covered with a layer of fog.  When I turn the treble up, it becomes clear.  Now this is one reason I went with the Fiio E17 amp.  It has a built in equalizer with bass and treble control.  Treble and Bass on the Fiio E17 go from -10 to +10.  I normally have the E17 set to 0 Bass, and +4 Treble.  But I also recently realized that the iPod built in equalizer works for the LOD connection.  So now I have been using the iPod equalizer set to Treble Booster, and the E17 at +4 Treble.  To me this sounds very clear and as if the sound is unvield, or brought forward.  Which appeals to me.  I feel like maybe if someone else listened to my settings it would be far to sharp and bright.  Maybe its due to my hearing loss from my time on military deployments.

Granted I'm using Bose IE2s as my portable IEMs and they may be a bit Bass Heavy.  With my Beyerdynamic DT880 cans, I will turn the Equalizer on the iPod off, but keep the +4 on the E17.

So does any one else utilize the equalizer on the DiyMod?  Do I just need better IEMs?  Either way, it sounds good to me so I guess thats all that matters, but I was curious as to if anyonoe else utilized the iPod equalizer to adjust the sound from the DiyMod.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,867 of 3,220
  Thanks man, I'll definitely shoot him an email.  I'd like to get a silver low profile one.  Plus since my E17 has caps, I wouldn't need any in the LOD.  And for using my iPod in the car, I figure the ALO Copper 18 LOD will work.

Ok, so here is a question I have for everyone.  I think I am more of a treble head then I originally thought.  Does anyone use the equalizer on the iPod when you are using the line out?  To me a Flat equalizer sounds really veiled, or almost as if the music is covered with a layer of fog.  When I turn the treble up, it becomes clear.  Now this is one reason I went with the Fiio E17 amp.  It has a built in equalizer with bass and treble control.  Treble and Bass on the Fiio E17 go from -10 to +10.  I normally have the E17 set to 0 Bass, and +4 Treble.  But I also recently realized that the iPod built in equalizer works for the LOD connection.  So now I have been using the iPod equalizer set to Treble Booster, and the E17 at +4 Treble.  To me this sounds very clear and as if the sound is unvield, or brought forward.  Which appeals to me.  I feel like maybe if someone else listened to my settings it would be far to sharp and bright.  Maybe its due to my hearing loss from my time on military deployments.

Granted I'm using Bose IE2s as my portable IEMs and they may be a bit Bass Heavy.  With my Beyerdynamic DT880 cans, I will turn the Equalizer on the iPod off, but keep the +4 on the E17.

So does any one else utilize the equalizer on the DiyMod?  Do I just need better IEMs?  Either way, it sounds good to me so I guess thats all that matters, but I was curious as to if anyonoe else utilized the iPod equalizer to adjust the sound from the DiyMod.

I did for a time. I used to use the 'Piano' setting as it bought the mids forward a little. But, I changed IEM's and have had it set to off for some time now.

If you appreciate the merits of EQ'ing, then its probably worth you installing Rockbox on your imod. I used to have it on mine, but found the difference in UI too much of a pain for me, especially when I gave up on EQ.

As you say, it sounds good to you, and that's what matters.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #2,868 of 3,220
Awesome man, thanks for the helpful responses.

One more question, when getting a silver LOD, does an LOD with 18 gauge silver wire add any benefit to an LOD with 22 gauge wire?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #2,869 of 3,220
Awesome man, thanks for the helpful responses.

One more question, when getting a silver LOD, does an LOD with 18 gauge silver wire add any benefit to an LOD with 22 gauge wire?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

For LOD, I recommend using solid core wires. The solid core is not as flexible as the stranded, but it should not matter for LOD as you don't bend it back and forth very often. More importantly, the solid core sounds better to my ears (more airy and tightened). I am not a fan of stranded wires.

18 gauge may be a little too stiff to work with. I personally used gauges up to 22. It should not be smaller than 26 gauge for LOD's, IMO.

As for the sonic benefit from using higher gauge wires, I have not done any comparisons in that regard. But if allowed, I will definitely go with the wires with higher gauge.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #2,870 of 3,220

For LOD, I recommend using solid core wires. The solid core is not as flexible as the stranded, but it should not matter for LOD as you don't bend it back and forth very often. More importantly, the solid core sounds better to my ears (more airy and tightened). I am not a fan of stranded wires.

18 gauge may be a little too stiff to work with. I personally used gauges up to 22. It should not be smaller than 26 gauge for LOD's, IMO.

As for the sonic benefit from using higher gauge wires, I have not done any comparisons in that regard. But if allowed, I will definitely go with the wires with higher gauge.

I also have not tested the sonic differences between different gauges of wire, however, I think the quality of the wire is most important. I used to really rate solid core Mundorf Silver / Gold, till I tried stranded Silver Poison from Toxic. The Toxic wire beats the pants off of Mundorf!

Also, from DIYing a crystal Piccolino LOD, I would say you dont need a large gauge conductor to get great sound. The centre conductor of the above mentioned cable is very fine, but delivers bass and detail by the bucket full.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,871 of 3,220

I also have not tested the sonic differences between different gauges of wire, however, I think the quality of the wire is most important. I used to really rate solid core Mundorf Silver / Gold, till I tried stranded Silver Poison from Toxic. The Toxic wire beats the pants off of Mundorf!

Also, from DIYing a crystal Piccolino LOD, I would say you dont need a large gauge conductor to get great sound. The centre conductor of the above mentioned cable is very fine, but delivers bass and detail by the bucket full.

Does the Silver Poison from Toxic also contain some gold or just pure silver? What's your preferred 3.5mm plug in terms of performance?

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,872 of 3,220

Hi

I see your in the UK too, where do you buy the male dock connector from to make a doy lod?

Been trying ebay/amazon etc but no luck so far.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,873 of 3,220
Hi

I see your in the UK too, where do you buy the male dock connector from to make a doy lod?

Thanks

I got ipod connectors from a store in Netherlands. Someone here might remember the name. If you can't find it pm me and ill check tomorrow

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,874 of 3,220
Does the Silver Poison from Toxic also contain some gold or just pure silver? What's your preferred 3.5mm plug in terms of performance?

Silver poison is silver gold alloy. I tend to use neutrik right angled ones as I only ever make low profile lod's

Most recent one.

Hi

Thanks[/quote

I buy from Qables, but Frank at Toxic cables has them in stock. Drop him a pm and he should be able to sort you out.

I got ipod connectors from a store in Netherlands. Someone here might remember the name. If you can't find it pm me and ill check tomorrow

Probably from Qables.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,875 of 3,220
Silver poison is silver gold alloy. I tend to use neutrik right angled ones as I only ever make low profile lod's

Most recent one.
Probably from Qables.

Yes qables! ! Thanks

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,878 of 3,220
Ok so I have a question for all you modders and diyer's. Yesterday I bought a 30gb ipod 5.5 from GameStop and it worked really nice but it was UGLY. So naturally and as always I took it apart and replaced all the scratched stuff, hdd, screen, clickwheel, battery ect (I pretty much bought it for the logic board, 25 bucks is a good price) so after I was done I restored it in iTunes and then the center button stopped working ??? And no I don't mean stuck I mean like it would click but nothing would happen :'(

Then today I thought I'd be sheisty and return the ipod, I put back all the EXACT same parts it came with and didn't even restore it, out of curiosity I turned it back on and now THE CENTER BUTTON WORKS GREAT! ???

So I'm super confused about what is making the center button not work when I switch parts. It's like the button on the board itself not the plastic piece

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back