The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2,851 of 3,220
  Well if it's bright with the IE80, then it must be bright badly. :) I had IE80 and that iem's are pretty warm and laidback to my ears. The brightness may also have something to do with your amp. I like neutral amp and iem's, that way I know better the sound quality from the dap, which is considered by myself the most important piece of the puzzle. Of course, if the recording itself is bad there is nothing much you can do about it regardless of the gear. That's my opinion.

Hi

I just opened it up and re-done the mod with a fresh set of wires (pure silver 30AWG), it sounds much better now.  There must have been some kind of short or bad connection before
confused_face(1).gif

I see that you highly recommend Kemet film caps, I may look into opening up the Fiio E12 at some point and replacing the WIMA ones that it comes with.

Has anyone opened up an E12?

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2,853 of 3,220
Normally using pure silver wire will even brighten it more.

I really encourage you to mod one directly from the DAC to the lifted pins completely bypassing the board. Not saying it will make a huge difference as I have not done any comparisons, but it's safe to say the direct-out mod sounds theoretically better.

To my ears the Kemet is superior to the Wima, and the Wima is superior to the Elna Silmic.

Keep trying, and try those nobody has tried yet. You may get rewarded handsomely although there is no guarantee. There are lots of fun from DIY'ing and that's what this hobby is all about.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,854 of 3,220

@DMinor

Are you going to tell us about your latest find? These mystery green super/ultracaps? 

Sorry to keep you disappointed my fellow head-fi'ers, but I am not ready to share at this point.

I have shared with everyone on the Kemet film caps, which remain excellent caps IMO. I still have one diymod with those caps.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2,855 of 3,220
@DMinor, I love seeing your stack of diymods and seeing your test results.

Makes me wish I had some skill and confidence. I'm going to have to learn. In the mean time, do you take bribes to do some work? Lol :p j/k

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2,856 of 3,220
@DMinor, I love seeing your stack of diymods and seeing your test results.

Makes me wish I had some skill and confidence. I'm going to have to learn. In the mean time, do you take bribes to do some work? Lol
tongue.gif
j/k

Thanks.

Remember good music always sounds good even on the stock ipod 5g, which is a damn good dap not just its sound but also its UI. That's why I love to collect these ipod 5g's as I am using them to back up my growing entire music library.

Happy New Year to you and everyone!

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,857 of 3,220
Thanks I did actually try to go direct to pins but just couldnt do it! In the end I went for the 2 tiny pads nearest the dock.

I did initially install Nichicon ES caps but then removed them when I found out that my amp (fiio e12) already has caps in it to block any dc from source.

The Red Wine Audio Imod is done the same way. I also am using a Fiio amp. E17. I wonder if it to has caps. If so, would I be better off using the standard Fiio LOD rather than the ALO Copper 18 iMod LOD with caps?

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #2,858 of 3,220
The Red Wine Audio Imod is done the same way. I also am using a Fiio amp. E17. I wonder if it to has caps. If so, would I be better off using the standard Fiio LOD rather than the ALO Copper 18 iMod LOD with caps?

I've heard that most Fiio amps have capacitors on the input section but not sure about the E17, it might be an idea to email Fiio?

If the amp does have caps, the standard Fiio LOD would be a good place to start... I would recommend a pure silver LOD from eBay, or you could make one yourself using the guides in the DIY section.

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,859 of 3,220
Thanks.  I definitely want to get a silver LOD.  Try that out. 
So curiosity got the better of me and I opened the E17. Can anyone tell if it has input caps? The LOD input is at the bottom corner of the amp.  I believe thats also where the caps are, but if anyone could confirm that'd be great.  I know there is a cap in the center, which I believe would be for the docking into an E09 desktop amp.  If this does have caps, it'll be great to get a silver LOD without caps in it.  One less piece to the chain.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2,860 of 3,220

I've heard that most Fiio amps have capacitors on the input section but not sure about the E17, it might be an idea to email Fiio?

If the amp does have caps, the standard Fiio LOD would be a good place to start... I would recommend a pure silver LOD from eBay, or you could make one yourself using the guides in the DIY section.

Thanks.

I wrote to support FiiO one year ago.

Q: Hello,
I made a dyimod on my iPod without coupling capacitors on output (my desktop headamp has coupling capacitors on input). I plan to buy one of your portable Amp or Dac/Amp (but I am not decided yet, which)
I would like to know, whether E07K, E17, E11 and upcomming E12 uses coupling capacitors on input, or i need make a LOD cable with capacitors.
Thank you for your answer

A: Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
We would highly recommend you to buy  E07K or E17,  don't need capacitors.
If you  buy E11 or E12, then  suggest  turnning to low gain,  and adjust to the maximum  of VOL, you can use  the LOD  cable without capacitors.

I buy E17, but finally I placed WIMA capacitors inside iPod http://www.gme.sk/mks2-4m7-50v-p121-363
I do not know, where else I will connect the iPod.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,861 of 3,220
  I wrote to support FiiO one year ago.

Q: Hello,
I made a dyimod on my iPod without coupling capacitors on output (my desktop headamp has coupling capacitors on input). I plan to buy one of your portable Amp or Dac/Amp (but I am not decided yet, which)
I would like to know, whether E07K, E17, E11 and upcomming E12 uses coupling capacitors on input, or i need make a LOD cable with capacitors.
Thank you for your answer

A: Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
We would highly recommend you to buy  E07K or E17,  don't need capacitors.
If you  buy E11 or E12, then  suggest  turnning to low gain,  and adjust to the maximum  of VOL, you can use  the LOD  cable without capacitors.

I buy E17, but finally I placed WIMA capacitors inside iPod http://www.gme.sk/mks2-4m7-50v-p121-363
I do not know, where else I will connect the iPod.

So why did you decide to put in the Wima caps in ipod if you were told caps are not needed for your ampE17? What sound difference have you noticed between the ipod without caps and with the caps?

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #2,862 of 3,220
Because I also plan attach my iPod to the AVR, car radio and other devices.
Can not tell about the sound differences. Ipod without caps I had only a few days.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #2,863 of 3,220
Hey guys, do you have any recommendations for a pure silver LOD?  I may be using my iMod in the car, so for that I'll stick to the iMod LOD.  But I also wanted to see if I could hear the differance between the silver and copper LODs.  I was thinking about getting the ALO iMod Silver 18 LOD, but it's crazy expensive and I already got a copper 18 one from them.  My Amp has internal caps so I could go with an LOD without caps, so long as I don't use it in the car.  Don't know if the car has internal caps.

What is the real world possibility from the iMod damaging something without caps?

Thanks guys!  I would try and make my own LOD if I was back home but that won't be for a while.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #2,864 of 3,220
Hey guys, do you have any recommendations for a pure silver LOD?  I may be using my iMod in the car, so for that I'll stick to the iMod LOD.  But I also wanted to see if I could hear the differance between the silver and copper LODs.  I was thinking about getting the ALO iMod Silver 18 LOD, but it's crazy expensive and I already got a copper 18 one from them.  My Amp has internal caps so I could go with an LOD without caps, so long as I don't use it in the car.  Don't know if the car has internal caps.

What is the real world possibility from the iMod damaging something without caps?

Thanks guys!  I would try and make my own LOD if I was back home but that won't be for a while.

Its very subtle but there is a difference between copper and silver lod for me. The silver seems to open up the sound slightly more but you can only hear it in a quiet environment.

I got mine off ebay, for around £36 and it seems well made, its also low profile so doesnt stick out too much from the ipod.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,865 of 3,220

I would contact Frank at Toxic Cables for a silver poison or silver widow ( both high purity silver + differing percentages of gold ) LOD. Not sure if he does them with caps or not, but there really good wires. I have used both with my DIYmod, and the difference between those wires, and copper wires is pretty impressive - for my gear and tastes. Probably work out a fair bit cheaper than ALO ones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back