The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 4, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #76 of 3,220
Whoops, the middle one was wrong... i dont feel like taking anymore either! Once I get the nano working, I'll post pics of the Caps on the outside.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #77 of 3,220
Well, I figured it out. There is a hairline crack along the ribbon cable (you can see it in the 1st pic, right under the "1"). It looks like the diymod is put on hold...if i ever get around to buying another 1g nano!
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #78 of 3,220
Dec 4, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #79 of 3,220
Yeah, thats true I guess.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #80 of 3,220
Done. Parts ordered..

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #81 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more psyched about this write up than I was actually getting my 1st gen nano. Can't wait for the post. In the meantime, is there any way you could list parts I need to be ordering so I'll be all ready to go. PLLLLEEEAAASE. Thanks.

At this point I need to get my nano first and look inside to see what and how. I want to try squeeze caps inside if not then will be whole different story. Just wait a bit. When I am done I will post step by step tutorial with pics, parts, prices and were to buy.

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #83 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some other pics....

That red wire should go on the other side of that cap. Good to hear you finished it, though. Do let us know your sonic impressions.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #86 of 3,220
ipodlinux.org/Generations says that the audio CODEC is in the bottom right of this image, the Apple 66AJSTB. The site also says it ought to be similar to the Wolfson Micro WM8750, similar to the WM8975. The pinouts are the same for both chips, and so the nano 2G should theoretically work, just that I can't decipher what's going on around the chip in this image. The feeds are coming out of the left side of the chip, but I can't see where they're going. If a daring soul would open up their nano 2G (and iPod video while they're at it), that would be great for readers of the thread. Remember that there are two pairs of L/R audio feeds, and that the first pair (with lower pin number) control the headphone jack, and as such have their volumes digitally controlled. The second pair, which should sit at the very bottom left of the 66AJSTB we see here (if it is indeed the same as the Wolfson chips), would be where you want to grab the signal.

front-circuit.jpg

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #87 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I figured it out. There is a hairline crack along the ribbon cable (you can see it in the 1st pic, right under the "1"). It looks like the diymod is put on hold...if i ever get around to buying another 1g nano!
frown.gif

Do you know (can you speculate on) which action caused the hairline crack in the ribbon cable? This would make for a good precautionary statement for anyone considering the Nano mod.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #88 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wait a week or so and I will post my nano mod! It will be easy, cheap and killer!
You will like it!
evil_smiley.gif

where should i search tutorial to open my Nano with step by step (picts)? thx...
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #90 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That red wire should go on the other side of that cap. Good to hear you finished it, though. Do let us know your sonic impressions.

Yeah, I did put it on the other side. That was an early picture, I was testing the solder. But I didnt finish it, I was just telling Fatman I was 'done' ordering the click wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back