The Anti Grado?
Apr 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has mentioned it, but the se530 are pretty close to anti-grados already. If you can't tell a difference between those and the sr225 then I'm not sure how much the hd650s will benefit you.

I say x2 here. My SE530's and my Senn 580's had a real similar sound signature to me. The SE530's are anti Grado to me. So then are the Senns.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #17 of 46
Of course, as the voice of reason, and a fan of the hd650 with a tube amp, the differences between the grado's and the senns isn't shattering, its subtle, much like the differences in most 'decent' cans; so don't expect a world of difference, because its not there!

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 46
I would agree with everyone else on the hd650, but I would warn you that if you can't hear a difference between the SE530s and Grados, you might not hear one between the senns and grados, either. If someone asked me what full size can has the Senn sound sig, I would say the SE530 in a heartbeat.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
senn hd580, if you looking at price similar to sr225's.

Biggie.

Ditto - I love my Grado Sr 225 , but could not live without my Senn HD 580 and LD MK III amp - you MUST have both sound signatures..

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #22 of 46
The K701 could be another shout for the anti-Grado; it's bright too but its laid back, neutral and analytical nature + its far superior soundstage makes it a great companion to the Grados. Rock and metal for Grados, classical and jazz for AKGs.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #23 of 46
*g* I'm listening to my old RS-1s right now. They sound soooooo goood.
smily_headphones1.gif
The soundstaging is excellent and compares well to my old HD650s and even the R10s. My solution to most Grado complaints I hear "no soundstaging" "harsh highs" "lack of bass detail" "fatiguing" etc, is...... fix your source.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_O Rules /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*g* I'm listening to my old RS-1s right now. They sound soooooo goood.
smily_headphones1.gif
The soundstaging is excellent and compares well to my old HD650s and even the R10s. My solution to most Grado complaints I hear "no soundstaging" "harsh highs" "lack of bass detail" "fatiguing" etc, is...... fix your source.

to be fair, you have a vintage grado rs1 and is the best at all those than most other grados. But no, i don't agree with the random assertion that a "better" source will change these things. A different source maybe, but "better"? nah

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do we know what amp the OP will use with the 650's?

He has asked several times about a Compas with no response. I can't comment on that as I don't know the Compas.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a compass be powerful enough to drive either the HD600 or HD650.

Read the Compass thread and you will find out there is a substantial number of K701/HD650 users. Compass can drive any headphone you throw at it, plenty of power, current to drive difficult headphones. It is a Class A amp with a lot of juice. Have fun.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has mentioned it, but the se530 are pretty close to anti-grados already.

I've read somewhere here on these forums that the SE530 comes mightily close to being an in-ear version of the HD650...

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #30 of 46
Agreed on the 650s. I own both 325i goldies and 650s, and they complement each other nicely. The 650s hold the music at arm's length so you can look at it... the Grados throw it in your face so you can feel it. Great pair to switch between.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back