The Anti Grado?
Apr 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure Grados (other than gs1000 and ps1000) have no sound stage regardless of what amp or dac you use.

rolleyes.gif
The only phones that don't have a soundstage are ones that you play mono recordings over.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_O Rules /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*g* I'm listening to my old RS-1s right now. They sound soooooo goood.
smily_headphones1.gif
The soundstaging is excellent and compares well to my old HD650s and even the R10s. My solution to most Grado complaints I hear "no soundstaging" "harsh highs" "lack of bass detail" "fatiguing" etc, is...... fix your source.

Thank you........well put. But then you have actually listened to them.
beyersmile.png

I too have a Grado RS-1 and a AKG 701 and I am baffled when I read comments like Grados for Rock and others such as 701s for classical. I listen to both genres by the way.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell the difference between my SR225 and SE530.

An open can, especially Grado, and an IEM tipically "must" sound very different. What source are you using? You should tell very easily the differences.

I wish you good luck.

As per your suggestions, I'd vote for an equally priced Senn or AKG.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Grados (other than gs1000 and ps1000) have no sound stage regardless of what amp or dac you use.

Yea and all Senns are veiled, and all AKG lack bass....
confused_face_2.gif

Also you've demoed the PS1000 ?

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #35 of 46
All supraaurall headphones have very subpar soundstage that's pathetic compared to the circumaurals. The Grados are no exception, they might have "excellent" soundstage compared to a IEM, but to say that its soundstage is excellent compared to its competitors is rather laughable.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

This would be a false assumption. Both the PS-1 and HP-1000 have excellent sound stage, especially the HP-1000.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All circumaural headphones have very subpar soundstage that's pathetic compared to the supraaurals. The Grados are no exception, they might have "excellent" soundstage compared to a IEM, but to say that its soundstage is excellent compared to its competitors is rather laughable.

LOL! You're incorrect on both accounts.

You have circumaural and supraaural backwards and you apparently haven't spent quality time with the high-end Grados.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

All circumaural headphones have very subpar soundstage that's pathetic compared to the supraaurals. The Grados are no exception, they might have "excellent" soundstage compared to a IEM, but to say that its soundstage is excellent compared to its competitors is rather laughable.

Wow what a broad brushed statement.................
L3000.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! You're incorrect on both accounts.

You have circumaural and supraaural backwards and you apparently haven't spent quality time with the high-end Grados.

Yeah sorry, I got it backwards but I am not wrong at all. Name me a supraaural headphone that doesn't have subpar soundstage. Supraaural headphones just cannot possibly have the soundstage of a circumaural headphone, just like how IEMs cannot possibly have the soundstage of a headphone.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #42 of 46
Remember that in many circumaular headphones the soundstage is sort of faked, caused by the drivers distance from your ears making it sound much bigger in size, but accurate instrument placement is a different story.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Yeah sorry, I got it backwards but I am not wrong at all. Name me a supraaural headphone that doesn't have subpar soundstage. Supraaural headphones just cannot possibly have the soundstage of a circumaural headphone, just like how IEMs cannot possibly have the soundstage of a headphone.

The Grado HP-1000.

Don't try and sample one in a meet though. One will never be able to fully appreciate what this headphone has to offer unless they live with it in their collection for a decent period of time. It is one of those that will not wow upon first listen, especially if A/B'ing it with another with coloration like the RS-1 and going back and forth only listening to 30 seconds worth of a track, but give it ten minutes or so in a totally silent environment and it will melt away like no other headphone. Honestly, the sound stage is remarkable for it being supraaural. I'd wager it is the widest and tallest of any supraaural ever produced, and clearly beats out many closed circumaurals I've owned in the past and currently own, like the DT770, AT W100, Edition 9 and my AT L3000.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #44 of 46
So basically only people who own these vintage unobtanium headphones will know the truth of their supremacy... sounds like a familiar argument for rare out of production headphones.

As far as my comment on soundstage, I am only referring to headphones that are in production. My experience is that vintage headphones have any number of magically properties that I cannot refute unless I own a pair. For that reason I avoid the subject. As far as in production Grados I've owned the sr80, sr325, rs1, and gs1000i (also spent some time with sr125, and sr225) and my experience is that the only one of those that has any appreciable soundstage is the gs1000i.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I have the Grado SR225 and the Shure SE530. I was wondering what the full sized anti grado headphone would be?

When I say, anti grado, I mean a sound signature that would be opposite of the grado's sound. Something bassy, laid back, and good soundstaging. Everything that the grado is not.

I ask because I want to compare the two most polar opposite headphones so I can hear the difference that people speak of between headphones. I can't tell the difference between my SR225 and SE530.

Thanks.

I used to own SR225 and could only find one thing in common btw SE530 and SR225 which is lack of high sparkle. They are so different from bottom to top.
Also, I found SR225 to be a little on the warm side and SE530 to be very warm. so you need to find something cold and laidback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back