The Anti Grado?
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #46 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically only people who own these vintage unobtanium headphones will know the truth of their supremacy... sounds like a familiar argument for rare out of production headphones.

As far as my comment on soundstage, I am only referring to headphones that are in production. My experience is that vintage headphones have any number of magically properties that I cannot refute unless I own a pair. For that reason I avoid the subject. As far as in production Grados I've owned the sr80, sr325, rs1, and gs1000i (also spent some time with sr125, and sr225) and my experience is that the only one of those that has any appreciable soundstage is the gs1000i.

I can flat out tell you right now that the RS-1s I am listening to right now ("Bridge over troubled water" by Ayako Hosokawa) have stunning sound staging and are easily comparable to all my other headphones including many (very) highend circumaurals. Conceptually soundstaging has little to do with the proximity or positioning of the drivers. Rather, in the pure sense, it is from the driver's ability to convey finer details in space. I often see folks performing all kinds of angling "games" and bring their circumaurals as forward and low as possible. I can tell you right now that if you throw a pair of Omega IIs on the positioning will be irrelevant. If the music has good sound staging through mastering, modification or excellent recording it will be there in spades with the Omegas. Likewise, my RS-1s will go toe-to-toe with just about anything because I've given them a squeaky clean source, a very high end amplifier, and well mastered recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back