The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Oct 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #406 of 529
I thought the Antelope Audio Zodiac 192 kHz DAC was not an asynchronous USB DAC but an adaptive USB DAC. Is this correct?

In the ~$2,000ish range, I would look at asynchronous USB 2 24/192 DACs with balanced ins/outs. In this range, I would recommend that you evaluate the Grace Design m903 - $1,895. I own the m903 and I think that it is an elegant design and user interface that sounds great and the company is great to deal with. It is their 3rd generation product and they are a pro audio company who's product quality is excellent. The asynchronous USB audio code was written by Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio.

Two useful reads:

http://www.gracedesign.com/support/whitepaper08.pdf

http://www.gracedesign.com/support/m903_manual_RevA.pdf

My $.02

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #407 of 529
It is async - perhaps you are thinking of the Burson?  There is an interview with Igor Levin on youtube about their proprietary dithering as well which is quite cool.  Async is all about clocking (not enslaving the DAC to the computer's clock), and if there is one thing Antelope/Aardvark knows (and one thing they're well known for in the studio world) it's clocking.

I agree that the 2K price range is competitive, and would not suggest the Antelope for low efficiency headphones if you plan on using it as not only the dac but the headamp as well.  The Grace falls flat with planars to my ears though as well if using the headamp, though it it great with the HD800.  

Quote: Preproman 
Sweetwater?

No.

Edit- seems Srajan may have mislead us again (as with the Burson debacle), it may indeed not be asynch... curious, as Antelope themselves don't mention it but never took the time to correct anyone who claimed it was asynch, which is just about every review I've seen - either way, here's the interview:

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #409 of 529
hmm yeah Srajan confused me when talking about how the zodiac + (in his review of it..was it him?) analogue section was lacking. Did he means the analogue out or the amp? 
cause if its the amp then i may get the + instead of the gold...as i plan on getting this new Senn HDVA amp with balanced out yum  for hd800s (in few years time though lol!) 

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #410 of 529
Questions: has anyone tried the Zodiac Gold headphone amp with HE-500 or Grado HP-2?

Hey Magick Man: how does the headphone amp compare to the one you use for Orthos, when using TH900?

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #411 of 529
I use the Zodiac + with a Teddy Pardo PSU (nice linear psu) for my stereo setup. Since I am new in head-fi, and about to buy a Audeze LCD-3 I am wondering how they pair up. Can the Zodiac drive these cans without dedicated amplifier? I know I would get better results with an amplifier but I just want to know if I can use the built in amplifier of the Zodiac for a while.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #413 of 529
Allright then, thank you for the clarification. I just want to be sure.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #415 of 529
same with my mdac. i use it with spl auditor. 

I think though ill never get a dac hp amp combo again, as i neve use it. currently looking at chord dacs. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #416 of 529
There may come a time when there is a truly good one on the market.  As it stands they are either a DAC from a DAC maker with the HP out sort of "thrown in" by comparison, or great HP amps with the DAC "thrown in" (example the V200 with DAC).  I think we'll see a one box in the future that can do justice to orthos as long as the ortho trend continues.  Someone will properly address the need.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #417 of 529
Quote:
If you look over the past few pages of this thread, you will find multiple zodiac owners (myself included) who found the headamp to be quite lacking with the Audeze orthos, including a user with the Zodiac+teddy pardo psu.  It will make sound, but it won't sound good compared to any decent dedicated headphone amp.

Thanks for the advice. I need to look into headphone amps. I already found some reviews of the Audeze, and Zodiac combinations with some different amplifiers. But those amps were almost more expensive then the cans and dac combined. I will look for an entry level amplifier due to budget constrains. Something like a second handed burson HA-160 might fit in my budget.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #418 of 529
check out headfonia.com for some amp reviews. great pics and write ups. SPL amps dont work well with anything under 50-60 ohms btw! not sure of other brands... 

going 2nd hand via this site is a good option! 

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #419 of 529
Quote:
check out headfonia.com for some amp reviews. great pics and write ups. SPL amps dont work well with anything under 50-60 ohms btw! not sure of other brands... 

going 2nd hand via this site is a good option! 

Thank you for your advice.I already found a burson audio A-160 nearby for a good price, so that would save me a lot of shipping and import costs (since I am living in Europe).
But I will look into those SPL amps aswell. Allthough they seem a bit above my budget to get started into head-fi, it might be a nice upgrade in the future.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #420 of 529
yah the SPL amps both have same amp section. the phonitor just has crossfeed circuits for mastering work. 

i found it worked well with HD800 as its v transparent but yet not cold. Jude from Headfi rates them as one of best
SS amps for brighter cans like HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back