The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Nov 11, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,306 of 2,897
For HIFI-Nirvana at home with Stax ED1-Monitor > SRM T1 > Stax Lambda but sorry not very portable :wink:

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,308 of 2,897
So, the porta pro's vs the audio technica ath esw9.

The esw9's have a weird sound stage to it, normally you hear the music like you are in the front row in a concert, in the esw9's it's more like you are in the middle of the band with the singer right infront of you, the drums are about behind him and the rest are divided to the right and left completely so it feels like you are on a chair right in the middle of it all.
Not sure if I like it or not yet but it's different for sure.

Sound wise the esw9's have alot more clear highs and mids but a lot less bass heavy then the porta pro's.
I feel like the esw9's are trying too much on the highs and it made them have a feel of a weird static noise with them, you can barely hear it but it's there to stay.

Now, what sounds better, it's a hard one, they are completely different, with sound stage and focus on sound signature so far away from another.

But I ever so slightly prefer the porta pro's to the esw9 sound, but it might change in the future as I grow to like the feeling of being in the middle of it all.

So if you like more bass go for the porta if you like your highs and mids more go for the esw9's

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,309 of 2,897
Just asked Charles if their are differences between the different players

TERA-PLAYER STD
TERA-PLAYER LIGHT
TERA-PLAYER STEALTH

He said the internals and software are all the same - the only difference is exterior aesthetics

Thought I'd share the info as many people speculate with different views

So get the lowest cost one if you can.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,311 of 2,897
Or just wise up like a lot of ex-Tera Player owners have done and buy a sonically superior and infinitely cheaper Questyle QP1R.

5 years ago when I purchased my Tera Player for the introductory price of 500 Euros it was unique in having an analogue soundstage, but now the DAP market has matured and there are a number of equally if not better sounding players available at far less cost.

True, now is the time to get one as after Christmas prices will go up again i expect.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,312 of 2,897
At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want or need. At the end of the day, the combo of organic sig, stellar battery life and form factor may still attract music lovers. It all depends on what one wants in their DAP. :)

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,313 of 2,897
Or just wise up like a lot of ex-Tera Player owners have done and buy a sonically superior and infinitely cheaper Questyle QP1R.

5 years ago when I purchased my Tera Player for the introductory price of 500 Euros it was unique in having an analogue soundstage, but now the DAP market has matured and there are a number of equally if not better sounding players available at far less cost.
What do you have in mind? Nothing sounds quite like the Tera with the same size and battery.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,314 of 2,897
I might have to take musicday up on the offer of meeting up to audition... Intruiged to find out what all the fuss is about, and to see how it stacks up to contemporary setups...

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,315 of 2,897
What do you have in mind? Nothing sounds quite like the Tera with the same size and battery.

Have to agree with you, Michael. :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,316 of 2,897

i owned both the qp1r and tera. i would like to say the sound presentation of both are very different and are equally enjoyable.

tera > sony mdr-e282 is one of the best analogue sounding pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back