The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Mar 2, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #721 of 2,897
Probably due to not being 18 any more, I sometimes tend to forget exactly which albums I have on my 128Gb.

"Refinding" them every now and then makes me realise it's nice to hear them again, kind of winning a small price in a lottery :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #722 of 2,897
Speaking of vinyl, remember liner notes and layers of artwork.
smile.gif
 Not what comes to mind when pondering the Tera.

That comes to mind often and is why I often have my phablet in my hands on the train while I'm listening - easy go to wiki and read up on whatever I'm listening too whenever I feel like it (easy to find all the artwork and everything else on the web while Tera does not leave my pocket).
Also, for people who have large SD cards with many albums - one thing you can to do find things easier is to add short voice tag (wav) file at the beginning of every album folder - that file does nothing else other than read you the artist and album names (I also always prepend the year of release before the album name so all albums of same artist are sorted by year they were released).
If you name these voice tag files something like 00_Voice_Tag.wav they will be first alphabetical files in album folders - so as soon as you navigate into that folder thats the first thing you will hear and know exactly what's coming up. Obviously you can take that step further and include announcement of all tracks within the current album, etc.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #723 of 2,897
While having limited navigation due to being screenless, the navigation tools on the TP are superior to any dap I've seen. The 5 buttons and how Charles have them programmed really are fantastic. But at the end if the day, I'm not going to try and find a particular song on a 128gb card. Even with those excellent controls, it's still cumbersome. A smaller card size and only full albums would make navigation pretty simple though. Since I don't typically listen that way, random and album play out of random are the two features I use most, and the TP's implementation of this is the most seamless I've used.

I have each genre of music in one SD card and won't mix them up while playing.  You can also opt for micro SDs and using it with one single adapter and it works.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #724 of 2,897
On the Tera, the sm64. It was buttery smooth. On any other dap is prefer the ASG-2.5 for its spacing and imaging. Both are bassier than my preferences on any other dap though. But with the Tera, both improve.

Missed the Tera too much, so decided to skip the "Hifiman 802 project" and purchased an FTU from Charles instead.
(Sorry btw for fellow Tera owners who contacted me and thanks again very much for your most kind offers!)

Listening again with the Shure SE846, I remembered a small conversation with shotgunshane about the Earsonics SM64.
Cut a long story short, ordered them yesterday, am very curious what I'm about to hear........

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #726 of 2,897
  what difference is there between the FTU and normal(past) tera player?

Charles Sez:

"Let me introduce you to the Tera-Player FTU's, our Field-Test-Units.

These Tera's have been where no other portable music player ever was.
Scratched, dropped and badly mistreated for years, yet still delivering unrivalled sound quality.

Whenever a Tera-Player Field-Test-Unit returns to our laboratories, it is cleaned, thoroughly inspected, updated to the latest hard- and software feats, tested, tested twice, tested again and then sold for a very attractive price to a caring owner.

And hey, we even back those up with a 5 years warranty.
Why would we do that?

Because we can."uce you to the Tera-Player FTU's, our Field-Test-Units.
Scratched, dropped and badly mistreated for years, yet still delivering unrivalled sound quality.
Whenever a Tera-Player Field-Test-Unit returns to our laboratories, it is cleaned, thoroughly inspected, updated to the latest hard- and software feats, tested, tested twice, tested again and then sold for a very attractive price to a caring owner.
Why would we do that ?
Because we can.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #727 of 2,897

Charles Sez:

"Let me introduce you to the Tera-Player FTU's, our Field-Test-Units.

Why would we do that?

Because we can."uce you to the Tera-Player FTU's, our Field-Test-Units.
Why would we do that ?
Because we can.

so in general there's no difference expect for maybe the age and FTU being used and tested for many purposes and being reserviced after that?

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #728 of 2,897
  so in general there's no difference expect for maybe the age and FTU being used and tested for many purposes and being reserviced after that?

I think the software update[to the FTU] is all on shuffle play algorithms rather than anything that changes the sound signature of the TP.

On reservice, while all internals are chips and bits, there is nothing can be done should there be any damage but to replace that particular item (not like cars that you need regular oil change or re-grease etc).  

For me, I'd pick one in the 2nd hand market as it did not (for most) went through a rugged life like FTU did...regardless how much meticulous work have been done to revitalize that FTU...life would never be the same once you went through such torture IMHO.   

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #729 of 2,897
What made me decide for an FTU are 2 points:

It's up to the latest standards regarding e.g. the algorithm, rubber supports for the connectors, etc.

The fact it's supported with the normal (unbelievable long) warranty.
Seeing Charles reactions to peoples who requested (paid) upgrades in the past, I highly doubt he would follow a strategy of putting players in the market he needs to repair in the years afterwards...

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #730 of 2,897
What made me decide for an FTU are 2 points:

It's up to the latest standards regarding e.g. the algorithm, rubber supports for the connectors, etc.

The fact it's supported with the normal (unbelievable long) warranty.
Seeing Charles reactions to peoples who requested (paid) upgrades in the past, I highly doubt he would follow a strategy of putting players in the market he needs to repair in the years afterwards...

Honest speaking, as long as any DAP device can last around 3 years time, it's about time for us to get it replaced as technology makes it obsolete (witness in this forum that how many models over 3 years in the market still have active dialogue).  I have my Sony Walkman DC-1 sitting in my storage box and it was once the best sounding device in its time and now a $30 MP3 can sound better than the Walkman.

I have no hesitation to let go my 8 years old Linn CD12 back in 2010 as my current CAS system can sound up to 90% or not better of what the last system can delivery (which built around the CD12) and cost a fraction of money.  

Same fate for Tera and thus makes the 5-year warranty a good-to-have on paper guarantee as by then you might not bother to send it in to fix any problem that you might have (I bet it won't as it built like a tank).  Don't mistaken that I am bashing Tera (I'm an owner of Tera for over 2 years now) but to describe the harsh reality of the digital era.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #731 of 2,897
Same fate for Tera and thus makes the 5-year warranty a good-to-have on paper guarantee as by then you might not bother to send it in to fix any problem that you might have (I bet it won't as it built like a tank).  Don't mistaken that I am bashing Tera (I'm an owner of Tera for over 2 years now) but to describe the harsh reality of the digital era.

You are absolutely right.

Personally I'm not too convinced that based on SQ, I'll want a different source in the near future so my 5 years lifespan of the Tera has started (again) last week.

Though it's hard every now and then to keep my desires for new things under control but then again, that's part of the hobby as well :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #732 of 2,897
You are absolutely right.

Personally I'm not too convinced that based on SQ, I'll want a different source in the near future so my 5 years lifespan of the Tera has started (again) last week.

Though it's hard every now and then to keep my desires for new things under control but then again, that's part of the hobby as well :)

Ok. Good.

The next thing that I can share with  you on how long that I can immune from outside attractions...10 years.  

Between 2000-2010, I owned one system that virtually had no change of components (only replaced the Sony SCD-1 with the Linn CD12 in 2002 as the Sony's laser servo gave up).  I have a strong craving period on headfi since Nov 2012 (first started with one humble IE80) and 2013/14 was a period of uncontrollable explosion where I acquired all the current headfi gears.  I think I will go back to a time like 2000/10 that in the next 10 years no more head gears needed.  

But my case might be exception to most as I bet the majority of fellow headfiers will continue their venture in buy n sell.

Cheers

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #733 of 2,897
Ok. Good.

The next thing that I can share with  you on how long that I can immune from outside attractions...10 years.  

Between 2000-2010, I owned one system that virtually had no change of components (only replaced the Sony SCD-1 with the Linn CD12 in 2002 as the Sony's laser servo gave up).  I have a strong craving period on headfi since Nov 2012 (first started with one humble IE80) and 2013/14 was a period of uncontrollable explosion where I acquired all the current headfi gears.  I think I will go back to a time like 2000/10 that in the next 10 years no more head gears needed.  

But my case might be exception to most as I bet the majority of fellow headfiers will continue their venture in buy n sell.

Cheers

so you didnt sell your tera player in the end?

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #734 of 2,897
so you didnt sell your tera player in the end?

LOL.  I don't want to repeat what Thapapper's mistake of having the Tera sold and deeply regret on that decision.  

I think the Tera is here to stay for a long long time.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #735 of 2,897
Ok. Good.

I know the situation, just take a peek at the nr. of sources and IEM's in my inventory list, it's from about 1 year...

You're a step ahead of me but am thinking in the same direction and then for me its just the Tera.
Now finally trying some options for my right IEM and done be it.

Next challenge will be not to start all over again with motorcycles in the upcoming summer... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back