The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Feb 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #691 of 2,897
  To truly appreciate the TP amped, you need a neutral amp like the Mass Kobo 385 and high quality cables from makers like Wagus of Japan.  Again, choose a cable for neutrality.  Cables can color the sound out of the TP to the amp.

Need extremely transperant amp otherwise loose resolution and transperancy.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #693 of 2,897
Thought I'd share some quick iphone pics of my Tera>Picollo set up.

Here's mine...

Tera
Wagnus Epsilon S
Tralucent's :
über interconnector
uber cable
Ref.1

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #696 of 2,897
  Here's mine...

Tera
Wagnus Epsilon S
Tralucent's :
über interconnector
uber cable
Ref.1

The Wagnus Epsilon S completely rocks.  It is on a different level altogether from any portable amp I have ever tested.  The tube buffer takes it a level up in terms of musicality.

I have owned and sold the Tralucent 1plus2 and Ref.1 (with Uber cable) because of ergonomic issues; I could never get a secure fit with them.  Had thought maybe my ears were abnormal until I read the review on Headphonia.

"And that is the 1Plus2’s major gotcha. Keeping it in place, and comfy, is tough stuff. And even when it gets where it’s supposed to be, it has to be situated and re-situate it every five or ten minutes. The cable is nice. The sound is freaking heaven. My god, the sound is heavenly. As said above, it’s more of what the Grado GR10 does, and a lot of that, better. Its accessory kit is good and its packaging so much better than the competition from the region. But it’s a bugger to use in portable kits unless you are absolutely devoted to a philosophy which I consider ridiculous. That philosophy? Best-sound-and-damn-everything-else."

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #698 of 2,897
I have an AK240 and have no desire to mod or amp it. I really enjoy it. Yet I need to use the amp with the Tera for my multi-BA customs and really any low impedance IEM. There is no perfect set up but there are things good enough to be satisfied with, yet very few of us on Head-FI are for long.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #699 of 2,897
It makes me laugh seen people buying the AK240 and send it off to have it modified,add another amp then to realise they are not happy with the sound. IMO the Tera Player is perfect for it's sound quality, portability and battery life.

The main thing at AK240 is shape and view. AK240 looks very good, for me TP has much more built quality. AK240 has some suffering for built quality, especially volume pot. Mobility of TP is much more different from all DAPs.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #700 of 2,897
It makes me laugh seen people buying the AK240 and send it off to have it modified,add another amp then to realise they are not happy with the sound. IMO the Tera Player is perfect for it's sound quality, portability and battery life.

I'm actually very happy with the RWAK240. Even though I have the plus mod, which gives me a true line out, amping now only give such marginal improvements that I very much enjoy the sound on its own.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #701 of 2,897
  The Wagnus Epsilon S completely rocks.  It is on a different level altogether from any portable amp I have ever tested.  The tube buffer takes it a level up in terms of musicality.

I have owned and sold the Tralucent 1plus2 and Ref.1 (with Uber cable) because of ergonomic issues; I could never get a secure fit with them.  Had thought maybe my ears were abnormal until I read the review on Headphonia.

"And that is the 1Plus2’s major gotcha. Keeping it in place, and comfy, is tough stuff. And even when it gets where it’s supposed to be, it has to be situated and re-situate it every five or ten minutes. The cable is nice. The sound is freaking heaven. My god, the sound is heavenly. As said above, it’s more of what the Grado GR10 does, and a lot of that, better. Its accessory kit is good and its packaging so much better than the competition from the region. But it’s a bugger to use in portable kits unless you are absolutely devoted to a philosophy which I consider ridiculous. That philosophy? Best-sound-and-damn-everything-else."

Yes, Wagnus is an under rated jewel within an industrial type metal box.   It never lost a single bit of the high analytical output of the AK240 solid low end (very additive punch) while maintaining highly detailed and opened top end.  

While pairing with Tera, it acts as the medium to neutralise the high output impedance of the Tera.  Apart of maintaining Tera's musicality, it gives a flatter response to both ends (especially the lost low end due to roll off).  A very addictive combo.

With the just in JVC Spiral Dot, it seems give a very different dimension to what Ortofon tips provided. I'm in doubt on deciding to let go of my Tera and I might in deep regret someday...you'd never precious something until it's gone.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #703 of 2,897
I have purchased Meyer Corda Quickstep for use with Tera and I think it does a great job in not messing with Tera SQ at all. So if you just want more output or want to use Tera with all kinds of headphones (since it's otherwise so picky) this is another great way to go (for not too much money).
This amp was discussed quite a bit on some of the older now closed Tera threads (which is where I picked up on recommendation by few experienced people and decided to buy it).
Having said all this, ever since I purchased Tralucent Ref 1 phones I have not used Corda at all - I find Ref 1 so perfect with Tera that nothing else is needed - best possible combo for on the go (best SQ and portability all wrapped in one small magic box handmade in Germany :)).

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/quickstep.htm

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #704 of 2,897
I need to listen to my wagnus again since to my ears the bass had a slight midbass bloat.

Agreed.  Somehow it does a bit emphasis on bass and on a few songs it makes unpleasant presentation...but only a few songs with recording also blown up on bass...apart from that, overall it's a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back