The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #706 of 2,897
That's an obscene amount of money considering that the original cost was less than half of this.

Some more Tera's for sale at €1500 on Charles website.
But only if you don't mind physical appearance too much........

Great pictures though and no more worries for damages :)

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #707 of 2,897
That's an obscene amount of money considering that the original cost was less than half of this.

I often wonder whether Charles is actually selling new ones at the current price on his web page. Hard to believe too many people are paying that - but if he is actually selling at that price than the 1/2 price for used can be explained (regardless of how much the original price was - it's all about demand/supply right now and he is the only one making them...).

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #708 of 2,897

In my opinion yes and no.
Yes, if you feel you're paying for hardware.
No, if you feel you're paying for SQ.
Not trying to defend anything here but for me personally it was the SQ, story and size.

Real reason I checked the website, is that I already regret having sold mine, though it's a good feeling the new owner is very happy.
But this @#$% Tera-thing has a spell over me, owning it somehow made my mind switch countless times between keeping and selling.
Hoped selling eventually would give me peace of mind.

But it doesn't...

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #710 of 2,897
Buy mine and appease your angst. PM me if interested.

In my opinion yes and no.
Yes, if you feel you're paying for hardware.
No, if you feel you're paying for SQ.
Not trying to defend anything here but for me personally it was the SQ, story and size.

Real reason I checked the website, is that I already regret having sold mine, though it's a good feeling the new owner is very happy.
But this @#$% Tera-thing has a spell over me, owning it somehow made my mind switch countless times between keeping and selling.
Hoped selling eventually would give me peace of mind.

But it doesn't...
q

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #711 of 2,897
The current price is blatant profiteering and obnoxiously distasteful given the original sale price regardless of the Tera Players sound quality.

If the Tera player was still 500 Euros would have been best sold DAP in the world IMO.
But even at full price is still delivering one of the best/natural SQ in a portable music player.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #713 of 2,897
  Screenless would hinder it's popularity even at 500 Euros.

Logically, I have to agree with you. There is more to a DAP than just sound quality alone. Not especially with that kind of pricing. And it can't be that the TP is so so much better SQ wise than say the AK240 or the Calyx M. Without a screen, I would reckon it would be a nightmare for most folks to search for their favourite song.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #714 of 2,897

Without a screen, I would reckon it would be a nightmare for most folks to search for their favourite song.

This is true and in addition to price it's another key reason why Tera will never appeal to majority who are by now used to players with screens (don't even know/care anything else ever existed).
However Tera still has a huge appeal to people like me who are primarily interested in best SQ possible and don't mind approaching listening to music in the manner we did way back when we only had vinyls.
Back then to go to your favorite song you had to get your ass off the sofa, walk up to vinyl player and replace the record and/or move the needle. Because of this most did not bother doing this but instead listened to full albums (which I think is the best way to listen anyway as it increases the chance you find other tracks you like that you would have skipped if you constantly keep looking for only few 'favorite' songs). 
However, there is no questions people like us (Tera lovers) who don't mind this SQ for convenience tradeoff are in huge minority and a dying breed (convenience/shortcuts wins in so many areas today it's no surprise  it would be the case here).
Interestingly enough however, there is an important convenience scenario where Tera does win vs screens - operating by touch without having to take the device out of pocket. I'm not aware of any player with screen that allows you to change between artist/albums without having to look at the screen while doing it, while this is very easy to do with Tera just by feeling and pressing those large buttons through your jeans pocket. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #715 of 2,897
I would absolutely LOVE a Tera, but sadly I will NEVER be able to afford one.
I will just stick with my poor mans Tera.  The Alien :p

A lot of people complain about no Gui etc. But I prefer it once you become accustomed to it.
I get cranky now when using my iPhone or other daps and I have to turn on the screen to change album or artist.
So much faster on my alien and looks to be even better on the tera

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #716 of 2,897
I would absolutely LOVE a Tera, but sadly I will NEVER be able to afford one.

A lot of people complain about no Gui etc. But I prefer it once you become accustomed to it.
I get cranky now when using my iPhone or other daps and I have to turn on the screen to change album or artist.
So much faster on my alien and looks to be even better on the tera

As long as you enjoy the music, anything can do.  I have my iPod Shuffle while on-the-go many years ago even though I have invested heavily in my home system (US$50k+).  As long as there is music, I'm happy.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #717 of 2,897

This is true and in addition to price it's another key reason why Tera will never appeal to majority who are by now used to players with screens (don't even know/care anything else ever existed).
However Tera still has a huge appeal to people like me who are primarily interested in best SQ possible and don't mind approaching listening to music in the manner we did way back when we only had vinyls.
Back then to go to your favorite song you had to get your ass off the sofa, walk up to vinyl player and replace the record and/or move the needle. Because of this most did not bother doing this but instead listened to full albums (which I think is the best way to listen anyway as it increases the chance you find other tracks you like that you would have skipped if you constantly keep looking for only few 'favorite' songs). 
However, there is no questions people like us (Tera lovers) who don't mind this SQ for convenience tradeoff are in huge minority and a dying breed (convenience/shortcuts wins in so many areas today it's no surprise  it would be the case here).
Interestingly enough however, there is an important convenience scenario where Tera does win vs screens - operating by touch without having to take the device out of pocket. I'm not aware of any player with screen that allows you to change between artist/albums without having to look at the screen while doing it, while this is very easy to do with Tera just by feeling and pressing those large buttons through your jeans pocket. 
wink_face.gif

Compact and fast UI main advantage of TP. It makes disadvantage to advantage the screenless hardware.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #718 of 2,897
  Compact and fast UI main advantage of TP. It makes disadvantage to advantage the screenless hardware.

I happen to agree but we are in huge minority. You will never be able to convince most people that super expensive screenless player could ever be more desirable than something much cheaper with screen - and sadly due to TP being so rare and expensive most will never be able to experience it's incredible SQ (and SQ should actually be Tera's main selling point regardless of how people feel about screenless).

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #719 of 2,897

wink_face.gif

It was easier to find what I wanted to hear with vinyl. In fact, it still is and that's with a wall full of music. Not a rap on personal preferences or the Tera but it is what it is. Way too much rationalization in this thread for a product that doesn't need any. It's a great sounding player with no screen and limited navigation. Nothing wrong with that. It may be a worth the compromise but it's not a better way to navigate.

Speaking of vinyl, remember liner notes and layers of artwork.
smile.gif
 Not what comes to mind when pondering the Tera.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #720 of 2,897
While having limited navigation due to being screenless, the navigation tools on the TP are superior to any dap I've seen. The 5 buttons and how Charles have them programmed really are fantastic. But at the end if the day, I'm not going to try and find a particular song on a 128gb card. Even with those excellent controls, it's still cumbersome. A smaller card size and only full albums would make navigation pretty simple though. Since I don't typically listen that way, random and album play out of random are the two features I use most, and the TP's implementation of this is the most seamless I've used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back