The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #737 of 2,897
I know the situation, just take a peek at the nr. of sources and IEM's in my inventory list, it's from about 1 year...

You're a step ahead of me but am thinking in the same direction and then for me its just the Tera.
Now finally trying some options for my right IEM and done be it.

Next challenge will be not to start all over again with motorcycles in the upcoming summer... :)

Wow...you have long list of inventory and that's the major difference we both have...mine is much simpler. 

I think my days on searching for the best combo is over and now concentrating enjoying the music my set up brings.  I still have a few surplus that I want to let go and I will take my time to do so.

Motorcycle is always one of my dreams but dare not riding one (I drove a Yamaha 100c.c. when I was still having my learner's license for 4-wheel once and that's the only experience that I have).  Good luck to your motorcycle venture.

Cheers  

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #739 of 2,897

Charles Sez:

"Let me introduce you to the Tera-Player FTU's, our Field-Test-Units.

These Tera's have been where no other portable music player ever was.
Scratched, dropped and badly mistreated for years, yet still delivering unrivalled sound quality.

Whenever a Tera-Player Field-Test-Unit returns to our laboratories, it is cleaned, thoroughly inspected, updated to the latest hard- and software feats, tested, tested twice, tested again and then sold for a very attractive price to a caring owner.

And hey, we even back those up with a 5 years warranty.
Why would we do that?

Because we can."uce you to the Tera-Player FTU's, our Field-Test-Units.
These Tera's have been where no other portable music player ever was.
Scratched, dropped and badly mistreated for years, yet still delivering unrivalled sound quality.
Whenever a Tera-Player Field-Test-Unit returns to our laboratories, it is cleaned, thoroughly inspected, updated to the latest hard- and software feats, tested, tested twice, tested again and then sold for a very attractive price to a caring owner.
And hey, we even back those up with a 5 years warranty.
Why would we do that ?
Because we can.

I find it interesting that this is all worded in plural as if though there is more than one person involved with Tera (ie "Why would we do that? Because we can.").
If it's not only Charles involved with Tera's then who else "scratched, dropped, and badly mistreated" these FTU's over the years?
Why would there be so many of these out there to warrant having a sale on them?

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #740 of 2,897
I don't think this is happening but I just thought of a funny situation where a manufacturer buys up any used unit that seems cheap to refurbish and hold the price and make profit a 2nd time. I repeat, I don't think this is happening but it would be some innovative marketing. Heck, Apple sort of does it. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #741 of 2,897
This is just another one of Charles' quirky marketing ploys designed to make the full priced Tera Player look less exorbitantly expensive. Have you seen the state of the FTU units? They look an utter mess and worth about 200 Euros each, yet Charles is asking 1500 Euros, which quite frankly beggars belief.

And before someone starts banging on about the superlative sound quality, yes the Tera Player does sound good, but to my ears an AK100 coupled with the Glove Audio A1 sounds much better.    

Quote:

I find it interesting that this is all worded in plural as if though there is more than one person involved with Tera (ie "Why would we do that? Because we can.").
If it's not only Charles involved with Tera's then who else "scratched, dropped, and badly mistreated" these FTU's over the years?
Why would there be so many of these out there to warrant having a sale on them?

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #742 of 2,897

I agree $1500 is way too much for used (especially that looks like that worn out).
However, disagree about SQ - since I found Tera clearly superior to both AK120 and HM901 I very much doubt AK100 can touch Tera either.
Maybe AK240 gets closer but I'm not sure about that either - Tera just somehow sounds more natural than any digital player I have ever heard.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #743 of 2,897
I have to keep repeating that the important factor in the equation is the GloveAudio A1 - http://centrance.com/products/gloveaudio-a1/ - and NOT the AK100, as the A1 has it's own DAC and amplification. The AK100 or AK120 sound weedy/thin on their own but adding the A1 completely transforms their signal(s) into something quite spectacular.

Comparing the Tera Player and AK100/A1 combo playing exacting the same songs there really is no comparison, the latter easily bests the former.  

Quote:

I agree $1500 is way too much for used (especially that looks like that worn out).
However, disagree about SQ - since I found Tera clearly superior to both AK120 and HM901 I very much doubt AK100 can touch Tera either.
Maybe AK240 gets closer but I'm not sure about that either - Tera just somehow sounds more natural than any digital player I have ever heard.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #744 of 2,897

Somehow I don't remember ever reading something before about test units being out there?
Personally I don't mind that it's already damaged, it looks great and for me one worry less :)
I currently own the very one in the first two pictures on the website :)

SQ wise, the Tera and AK100 are 2 separate worlds, each with there own happy inhabitants.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #745 of 2,897
I have to keep repeating that the important factor in the equation is the GloveAudio A1 - http://centrance.com/products/gloveaudio-a1/ - and NOT the AK100, as the A1 has it's own DAC and amplification. The AK100 or AK120 sound weedy/thin on their own but adding the A1 completely transforms their signal(s) into something quite spectacular.

Comparing the Tera Player and AK100/A1 combo playing exacting the same songs there really is no comparison, the latter easily bests the former.

I immediately believe the GloveAudio improves the SQ of the AK100 :)

Will you be bringing your combo to the upcoming Head-Fi Meet?

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #746 of 2,897
I recollect Charles mentioning very early on in the Tera Player production cycle that a few loaners had gone out to his friends (who were primarily musicians and music related folks) so perhaps it's these units that are the FTU?

Indeed, TP and AK100 are incomparable as the TP easily bests the AK100 on sound quality, BUT the AK100 and GloveAudio A1 is an entirely different proposition.   

Quote:

Somehow I don't remember ever reading something before about test units being out there?
Personally I don't mind that it's already damaged, it looks great and for me one worry less :)
I currently own the very one in the first two pictures on the website :)

SQ wise, the Tera and AK100 are 2 separate worlds, each with there own happy inhabitants.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #747 of 2,897
Yes indeed. The AK100 & A1 will be present at the UK Head-Fi meet in April. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I immediately believe the GloveAudio improves the SQ of the AK100 :)

Will you be bringing your combo to the upcoming Head-Fi Meet?

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #748 of 2,897
Yes indeed. The AK100 & A1 will be present at the UK Head-Fi meet in April. 
beerchug.gif

Good, than in return you get a live view of my worn Tera :)))
Will deliver Musicday his promised Senn HD 25 SP as well.....
One of the better Saturdays :)

Enjoy the weekend!

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #749 of 2,897
If Musicday brings his Tera Player too we'll have a troika of TP's. 
smile.gif

Regarding the meet, the venue is a modern village hall located in a residential area, so access is via a street of houses which is a bit confusing. If you follow the SatNav instructions in the meet thread first post you'll be fine. Look forward to meeting you.

Have a great weekend thread readers.  

Quote:

Good, than in return you get a live view of my worn Tera :)))
Will deliver Musicday his promised Senn HD 25 SP as well.....
One of the better Saturdays :)

Enjoy the weekend!

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #750 of 2,897
finally understand what the hype about tera player is about. yet to hear anything so smooth. yes it isnt so detailed as to boast uber level of clarity or superb soundstage compared to others totl players like the paw gold, ak240/ak240ss, but everything just sound so so so so NATURAL to my ears. considering the price i got the second hand tera i can clearly say this is the best deal i ever gotten out of my audiophile collections (though there isnt that many to speak of in the first place).

now i cant wait to collect my new custom tomorrow and test out the new pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back