The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Jan 17, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #77 of 726
Quote:
I saw Ken Rockwell's impressions. Did anyone get to hear this in Vegas? 

popcorn.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #79 of 726
I just placed and order for the silver WA7. I was unable to find any comparison between the Sovtek and EH tubes. $100 is quite a bit of money. I'd like to have an idea of the sound improvement of the EH tubes (if any).

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #81 of 726
I was told that the EH tubes are more resolving and detailed. I'm thinking about getting a pair and hope it won't be a case of curiosity killed the cat.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/very-rare-NOS-NIB-6S15P-pair-WE437-6S45P-E-6C45P-from-december1960-/221168996920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337eb31238&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1128

I'm curious as to see what western electric tubes would sound like with the amp. Costs an arm and a leg, but who knows.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #82 of 726
I have so far bought 3 sets of tubes for the amp, including the gold pins. Once I have the actual amp ill do some impressions for you. I've bought 2/3 sets off eBay. For those new to it, when buying off eBay make SURE you clarify the pairs are matched.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #84 of 726
Anyone? Tempted to get one just so I don't look like such a nerd at work (and to keep things simple).

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #86 of 726
Quote:
Mr. Woo's response on comparing WA6SE vs WA7 (hope it's okay that I'm posting it):
"In terms of sound quality, the WA6-SE has an advantage. However, the WA7 accept USB input."

would be a bit embarassing if a 1000 dollar amp/dac (wa7) combo outperformed a 1050 amp only item in the same product range.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #88 of 726
Quote:
Mr. Woo's response on comparing WA6SE vs WA7 (hope it's okay that I'm posting it):
"In terms of sound quality, the WA6-SE has an advantage. However, the WA7 accept USB input."

What I do not understand is the WA7 is a AMP/DAC and the WA6-SE is just a headphone amp therefore how could it sound better just on its own? Was there more to the response? If so, please post.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #89 of 726
Quote:
What I do not understand is the WA7 is a AMP/DAC and the WA6-SE is just a headphone amp therefore how could it sound better just on its own? Was there more to the response?

Well, you can only compare amp sections really, and comparing the cute WA7 to a 22lbs 2-chassis amp that delivers double the power at the same impedance without breaking a sweat and allows numerous tube variation to tailor the sound perfectly to your preferences, the difference should be pretty obvious. If you don't require the extra power (for example: use Audezes) and don't care about tube rolling, on a practical level maybe there wouldn't be for you. (Handy comparison chart, doesn't include the WA7 yet - you have to check its Product Page)

As for why one would pay about the same price for just an amp when you can get an amp & DAC for about the same price, in terms of the elusive perfect "sound quality": just read through the Head-Fi forums, with people who spend 2, 3, 5 times as much on amps (tube or solid-state), plus separate DACs, then endlessly debate their respective merits around here
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #90 of 726
I'm sold.  The WA-7 seems to be exactly what I am looking for (actually, if I'm being honest, I didn't realize I was looking for anything).

But which color? They are both so d@mn pretty.
What I really want is the silver in the day and black at night. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back