The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Mar 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #212 of 726
Mazel Tov! Can't wait to hear your impressions with the WA7

I am a big fan of open back headphones for the timbral balance and clarity they offer. My collection reflects my preferences and bias: HD800, HD600, T90, HE-500. The WA7 allows their respective sonic signatures to shine. There are situations where I need isolation, such as in the studio or noisy environments. In the studio we have 7506, HD280, and my previous favorite, the ATH-M50. Having read mrbigsby's review on the Soundmagic HP100 I became curious if these could approach the sound quality of the open back designs I enjoy and still provide decent isolation. Now having put some serious listening evaluation time on them, I am impressed and have a new top pick for this category of headphone. They certainly aren't going to displace any of my open backs, but when I need isolation, the HP100 will be first choice. The bass isn't as well controlled as on the HD800 or T90 but it is balanced well with the mids and highs. The clarity is much better than other closed back cans commonly found in the studios for cue mix.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #213 of 726
Ordered my silver WA7 + EH tubes Feb 24th and still waiting...  just ordered a pair of Beyer T1 to go with it off Amazon so I should have some burn in time before they arrive using my current HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp.  I am very curious how my current setup with the HeadRoom and a pair of T5p's will compare to the WA7 and some T1's.  Any thoughts? 

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #214 of 726
Quote:
I am a big fan of open back headphones for the timbral balance and clarity they offer. My collection reflects my preferences and bias: HD800, HD600, T90, HE-500. The WA7 allows their respective sonic signatures to shine. There are situations where I need isolation, such as in the studio or noisy environments. In the studio we have 7506, HD280, and my previous favorite, the ATH-M50. Having read mrbigsby's review on the Soundmagic HP100 I became curious if these could approach the sound quality of the open back designs I enjoy and still provide decent isolation. Now having put some serious listening evaluation time on them, I am impressed and have a new top pick for this category of headphone. They certainly aren't going to displace any of my open backs, but when I need isolation, the HP100 will be first choice. The bass isn't as well controlled as on the HD800 or T90 but it is balanced well with the mids and highs. The clarity is much better than other closed back cans commonly found in the studios for cue mix.

Bob, have you compared these against the t5p's? I know the price difference is pretty big, but I'm curious about the comparison.  Like you, I prefer open headphones (LCD-2 and HE-500 are my current preference, but I really like my HD-650s as well), but my wife is not a huge fan of the sound leakage from my HE-500's, so I'm considering a closed headphone.  I'm thinking of the t5p's but maybe I could get talked down to the HP100's if they are a solid contender.  Any comments would be welcome.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #215 of 726
I have not heard the T5p. HP100 are only $200US. To me they sound way above their price point. But comparison to the Beyer would be interesting. Closed back isolating cans are challenging to voice given the many differences possible in our ear canal dimensions and shapes along with those of our pinna.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #219 of 726
Quote:
Anyone from Canada order a WA7 from woo audio. Can you comment on total shipping/tax/customs paid?

You can get them from some Woo Audio dealers in Canada to avoid the hassle. I didn't even know that myself until I found my WA-7 in a local shop.
The one I got is in my city of Edmonton. The Gramophone: www.gramophone.ca
I paid a little more than retail at $1050.

However I have since discovered, you can also get them from a most unlikely source: www.canadacomputers.com
Here is the direct link: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1110&item_id=057361
They list all of the woo amps.

It's possible there maybe a dealer in your city. I don't think there is many of them, buy you could contact Woo Audio to check.

-- Sanjay

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #222 of 726
Woo dealers in the hood? lol 
blink.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #223 of 726
Just got my WA7 today.  I ordered and paid on Jan 31st (a couple days after the pre-orders ended) and am pretty sure I was the last pre-order out the door.  Should be in full retail production mode now.

I'm seriously considering selling it though.  I go through highs and lows in my obsessions and with the two month wait period my excitement for headphones has ebbed a bit.  That being said, I'm going to delve through this thread a bit more and see what others think of it.  The most likely outcome is after a couple days of staring at the box, I'm going to break down and open it up.  Either that or there is going to be a brand new WA7 in the 'for sale' forum soon.

By the way, the box is weighted very oddly, with almost all the weight on one half of the box.  Between that and being surprisingly heavy for the size, I almost dropped it when it was handed over, and wouldn't be surprised if FedEX did a couple times in transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back