The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 2, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #346 of 2,712
Hi Guys,

Vinnie and I are so happy to finally see the CDM in people hands now, thank you for posting.

If you have not checked out the CDM FAQ page yet please do and please check back to this page often as we have lots of updates coming and a few videos.

Oh one think I dont think I mentioned until I read Laserjocks post, the CDM really gets its sweet spot after about 3 min warm up time because the tubes need to get to temp. So if you turn it on the first 3 min will not be anywhere as good as after about 3 min.

Ok cheers.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #347 of 2,712
Can't wait for the CDM to arrive, I know how I'm spending my 3 weeks of holiday in that case.
You don't happen to have a waterproof pool version do you, Ken?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #348 of 2,712
Hi Ken/Vinnie,

Any suggestion on burn-in hours for amp? I know tubes usually take about 60 hours.

Mine arrives tomorrow so looking forward to hearing it paired with the HE1k in balanced mode.

Thx

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #349 of 2,712
Some observations:
- it does get somewhat hot, even idle; no putting this in my pocket...
- it needs good ventilation as it heats up what it's sitting on;
- when holding, the edges are sharp but it helps to prevent it from slipping out of my hands
- the enclosure seems a bit on the thin side which may help heat dissipation
- it's not light but it has a nice heft to it

Here it is connected to an AK 120ii via balanced cable:

What exactly does the CDM bring on top of your AK120?

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #350 of 2,712
What exactly does the CDM bring on top of your AK120?

its not the most ideal as the signal is getting amped twice (the ak doesnt have a true line out) but the sound coming out of CDM has more presence and deeper bass.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #351 of 2,712
  I received my preorder yesterday at work.  Of course, I dropped everything I was doing, shut my office door, and opened my present!  :wink:  

It *is* larger than expected - and bigger than my old mobile rig.  (I'm trying to attach a photo of it next to my old portable unit, but since I've got a new Head-Fi account, it's not giving me permission to do that yet.  Or I don't know how....  Any suggestions?)

My two headphones are Senn. HD700's, and JH-13 (Freq-phase) IEM's - both with Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cables.

When first plugged in, I was a little underwhelmed - and with some sleuthing saw found that my Mac settings kept forcing the DAC to 44.1kHz.  Oops.  At full resolution it was a different beast, entirely!  If I only had a couple words to describe it, they would be open, effortless, liquid.  It's a very, very refined tube amp sound.  

The HD700's opened-up in a way I've not heard them before... yes, the soundstage widened, with more detail and space.  But what really struck me wasn't audiophile fireworks, but how liquid and effortless the sound flowed... it just comes with nothing blocking it.  It's an extremely well-designed - and mature - presentation.  

What really struck me was the response on my JH-13's!  I use them all the time for working on my laptop in loud environments / traveling.  They're great, but I didn't have much expectations for them to improve.  Wow, was I wrong!  I've never heard them play anything like this!!!  Background noise was zero (really!).  Soundstage moved from "inside" my brain to an encompassing experience.  And the details... man.  

I've always been a tube guy.  The biggest challenge I've had with my IEMs is making them sound "musical & liquid".  My last stack (Continental v.3 + Centrance DACport) had a magic to make the JH-13's warm and enjoyable... but the sound was fat, bloated, and artificially warm at the expense of articulation.  And, it was noisy.  The CDM finally did the trick!  At my main desk, I'm finding myself enjoying my JH-13's more than my HD700's.  Not my typical experience!!

I let the unit play overnight (man it does get warm!), and its sound has significantly improved.  I'd say the break-in is somewhat necessary to evaluate.  Now, the CDM is just *invisible*.  Even trying to analyze it's sound, it's hard to focus on what the unit sounds like.  Its just "out of the way", and lets the music flow through.  Even the most dense recordings I have are being opened-up with subtle layers separated - not analytical, but musically.

Oh, and never before have there been such a *requirement* to use Pure Music, Amarra, etc...  The CDM can keep up with the source material.  Still, MP3 streaming on Spotify is still enjoyable if I'm not being picky and focussing on work.  PureMusic makes a big difference for the MP3 streaming quality thru my Mac, too.

Overall, I'm extremely happy!  My old Continental v.3 + DACport has served me well... but it's time to let them go to someone else on their journey.  I've arrived at a destination I'm thrilled with!  Thanks to Ken, Vinnie, and all those who made this happen.  Well done!

Did you ever fix the OSX DAC? Or will the mac only allow 44.1kHz?

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #352 of 2,712
mmm.....since I am a portable and transportable system freak, the heat issue might be an issue but the solution has to be a proper carrier or case for it (like the excellent one for the Chord Hugo). Perhaps, ALO Audio will consider adding some official carrying case (preferably in leather) for the CDM, tastefully done.  

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #355 of 2,712
  Did you ever fix the OSX DAC? Or will the mac only allow 44.1kHz?

Yes, I simply went into the Apple "MIDI Setup" program where you can set all the sampling rates and bit-depths for any given sound device.  Once I updated it in there, it remembered the settings every time I plugged it in.

I am, however, still having challenges getting the higher sampling rates stick with PureMusic software.  I don't believe this is a function of the DAC so much as perhaps some user error, thrown-in with buggy software.  Anyone here use Channel D's Pure Music?

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #356 of 2,712
  mmm.....since I am a portable and transportable system freak, the heat issue might be an issue but the solution has to be a proper carrier or case for it (like the excellent one for the Chord Hugo). Perhaps, ALO Audio will consider adding some official carrying case (preferably in leather) for the CDM, tastefully done.  

Same here......

Already asked about a case earlier and the consensus was no due to the heat.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #357 of 2,712
Same here......

Already asked about a case earlier and the consensus was no due to the heat.

Maybe a case made of Kevlar or Nomex?

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #358 of 2,712
Hey Guys,

I don't think a protection case is out of the question, let me think about what I can do and also will huddle with Vinnie.

Cheers.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #359 of 2,712
  Hey Guys,

I don't think a protection case is out of the question, let me think about what I can do and also will huddle with Vinnie.

Cheers.

Ken

Ken:  what I would really like is a semi-hard card that can hold the CDM, my CIEMs, and one other item like a DAP.  Thank you!

CJ
:)

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #360 of 2,712

Ken:  what I would really like is a semi-hard card that can hold the CDM, my CIEMs, and one other item like a DAP.  Thank you!

CJ
:)

Like this? well this one is not semi hard.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back