The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #422 of 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrach 

can you play the CDM while it is plugged in like you can with the Hugo or do you have to play it only in battery mode without it being plugged in?I find the idea of 5.5 hours of battery life using the DAC to be very restricting,my Hugo does a lot better than that!

Good for you! 

5 hours+ on DAC is fine for most people, you can play while charging 27 - 7, the charger is dead quite and you can take the $1000 you saved and buy something great for your wife or sig other.

Ken

gee,need to be defensive i was only commenting on the battery life which is to me rather short...5 hours is fine for most people?well perhaps but I do find it restrictive....that said I have bought several ALO products and am interested in the CDM which I am sure is a fine product

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #423 of 2,704
Good for you! 

5 hours+ on DAC is fine for most people, you can play while charging 27 - 7, the charger is dead quite and you can take the $1000 you saved and buy something great for your wife or sig other.

Ken
I Australia they both cost the same :frowning2:

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #424 of 2,704
  Nathan, how would you say the CDM compares to the AK240 with iems. Some low impedance, some high.

I don't own an AK240. I am borrowing a modded AK240. I also borrowed an AK240 last week. In terms of noise levels, absolutely, the AK240 is lower, but the CDM is comparable or better than every other similarly equipped valve amp I've tried. In other words, I can enjoy it with no problem through an Ultrasone IQ. 

In terms of benchmarkable audio performance, comparing solid state to valves of any kind, no matter the price, is unfair. That said, CDM is more stable within its performance bounds than is the stock AK240.

That is:

1. The CDM handles earphones with extremely wildly swinging impedances better than does the AK240. But, the difference is small enough that I don't think anyone could rightly call it audible.
2. CDM can be used in high gain at max volume with little to no ill effects. Every AK device I've tried today nerfs its output from about 90-95% of the full volume, enough that you can hear it stub the end of notes (not clipping, but a rounding or neutering of any voltage level that goes beyond that threshold). 

Of course, a DAP has all the advantages of volume control and balance at low volume levels, over an outboard amp, no matter the price. But CDM is about 80% of where it needs to be to comfortably or safely use earphones no matter the sensitivity. 

The rest is down to sound signature. CDM enjoys the stability of a good solid state circuit, but the warmth, and as I mentioned, cleanly, beautifully and softly gradiented transitions and textures. 

If you're into valves, but not into tubey sound, CDM. If you want a very good digital experience, AK240 is pretty good. That said, if measuring the 240 against its performance/price ratio, it fails more so than does the CDM. 

That's to say that ALO have done a very good job of blending performance and sound style.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #430 of 2,704
Just purchase this baby in Singapore. Pairing it with zx2 and pm-3.
Need to run it in.
Has not stop smiling since I had it power on.

Thanks ALO.

probemax,

Sweet! congrats!!

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #431 of 2,704

the hugo's dac offers better clarity and definition than cdm's dac.  however, the tonality of cdm's amp offers better tonality (musical) than hugo's amp.  therefore, the ideal combination is hugo's dac + cdm's amp :p

sounds great...get yourself a 380 and pair it with a combo of Hugo and CDM..add in a pair of 2K headphones and i can listen to music portably for only 9500 dollars!

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #432 of 2,704
Lol, i was thinking the same thing. Honestly why spend that much on 2 DAC/Amp combos only to use half of each?

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #433 of 2,704

the hugo's dac offers better clarity and definition than cdm's dac.  however, the tonality of cdm's amp offers better tonality (musical) than hugo's amp.  therefore, the ideal combination is hugo's dac + cdm's amp :p

sounds great...get yourself a 380 and pair it with a combo of Hugo and CDM..add in a pair of 2K headphones and i can listen to music portably for only 9500 dollars!

Jibrach,

Whats your point here with this post? You seem to be really fixated on what people spending habits are, who cares? Dude if your just going to make smart ass quacks about what things cost, what people are paying or what ever don't post here, its not a contribution to the hobby.

Keb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 11, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #434 of 2,704
Lol, i was thinking the same thing. Honestly why spend that much on 2 DAC/Amp combos only to use half of each?

Very, very good point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back