The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jan 10, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #2,596 of 2,704
What are you using as your source?

This is from the CDM manual...
Sample Rate Indicators (DAC)
White: DSD 64 Blue: 176.4/192kHz Green: 88.2/96kHz Red: 44.1/48kHz
I'm using the green USB A—micro B cable that came with the device with a USB A—C adapter to connect to my laptop. attached images for context.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0
  • file_info.jpeg
    file_info.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • output_settings.jpeg
    output_settings.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,598 of 2,704
I'm using the green USB A—micro B cable that came with the device with a USB A—C adapter to connect to my laptop. attached images for context.
I see you're using a Mac to play to your continental. The Mac doesn't do automatic sample rate switching (a total fail in my opinion) You need to go into Audio Midi setup to switch the output sample rate to your continental. I just tried it and it works fine but it's not very convenient to switch sample rates manually when you are listening to hi-res sources. There may be a solution to this but I've not discovered one. I normally use Roon so it's not a big issue as Roon automatically selects the output sample rate on my Mac mini.

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,599 of 2,704
I see you're using a Mac to play to your continental. The Mac doesn't do automatic sample rate switching (a total fail in my opinion) You need to go into Audio Midi setup to switch the output sample rate to your continental. I just tried it and it works fine but it's not very convenient to switch sample rates manually when you are listening to hi-res sources. There may be a solution to this but I've not discovered one. I normally use Roon so it's not a big issue as Roon automatically selects the output sample rate on my Mac mini.
Audirvana also selects the sample rate automatically.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,601 of 2,704
Alo Audio CDM has natural, warm sound with a huge stage. Elastic and velvety, at the same time energetic and fast. That feeling, when music takes on flesh and blood, begins to breathe, breaks out beyond digital dryness.
Good feedback. Very emotional.
From my ("digital") point of view, I would say that this is exactly what CDM sounds like - emotionally, analogously. This is not a reference or analytical sound. This is a device for music. I don't know if I can be an audiophile with him. I can only enjoy music.

May 5, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #2,602 of 2,704
Can anybody recommend me a good 3.5mm to 3.55mm high quality silver interconnect for connecting my CDM to my Hugo2? Currently looking at eletech, dhc and lavricables, can't seem to find anymore. TY

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,604 of 2,704
Can anybody recommend me a good 3.5mm to 3.55mm high quality silver interconnect for connecting my CDM to my Hugo2? Currently looking at eletech, dhc and lavricables, can't seem to find anymore. TY

If I may ask, is there any particular reason why are you after silver?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 7, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #2,605 of 2,704
I think you need DHC IC. Now I use ALO SCX22, but I plans to buy DHC soon.
If they are not on the site, just write to Peter in the form of a link.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2,606 of 2,704
IMG_20220509_005538.jpg

New 6021.

May 8, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,607 of 2,704
May 9, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #2,608 of 2,704
I see that you removed the chrome cover in the middle...i always wondered what was underneath it. Looks fantastic!
Was it difficult to remove it?
Yes, I took it off.
If you are friends with a soldering iron, it is easy to remove. It is soldered to the board in three places. Here they are on the board.
IMG_20220509_131248_293.jpg

But you need to unsolder from the reverse of the board, of course. It's not difficult.

Of course, with the cover, the device looks more complete.
The primary reason why I removed it is easier tuberolling.

Also, it adds a bit of cyberpunk to the device, haha.

*Nerd mode on*
I don't think it affects the sound in any way. It also helps to circulate air better, and thus improves cooling.

Maybe this cover helped to heat less components on the board between the tubes, but I think the difference is very small. So I think it was needed more for aesthetic purposes.
*Nerd mode off*

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,609 of 2,704
Yes, I took it off.
If you are friends with a soldering iron, it is easy to remove. It is soldered to the board in three places. Here they are on the board.
IMG_20220509_131248_293.jpg
But you need to unsolder from the reverse of the board, of course. It's not difficult.

Of course, with the cover, the device looks more complete.
The primary reason why I removed it is easier tuberolling.

Also, it adds a bit of cyberpunk to the device, haha.

*Nerd mode on*
I don't think it affects the sound in any way. It also helps to circulate air better, and thus improves cooling.

Maybe this cover helped to heat less components on the board between the tubes, but I think the difference is very small. So I think it was needed more for aesthetic purposes.
*Nerd mode off*
Thanks for these details! I think you're right, the purpose of the cover (beyond aesthetics) is probably to protect the parts near the tubes from excessive heat. At any rate, my curiosity has finally been satisfied 😊

May 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,610 of 2,704
Removing that internal cover may also lead to those components failing sooner. Since the CDM has been discontinued for some time, just keep in mind that if anything fails on the board, you might not be able to get it fixed. Generally if something has been soldered on, it isn't meant to be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back