The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,071 of 2,712
There are some characteristics of tubes that cannot be simulated or EQ'd. First, tube distortion tends to be more even order harmonics which means the added distortions are incremented in octaves so that it gives sound a more full/richer tone. Next, tubes measure consistently across power output whereas solid state tends to be optimal at full power. There are other differences like feedback and clipping, but these are the main points. However, if purity is your goal, then putting any amplification to the H2 or even Dave goes against that philosophy (and Chord's). In fact I think most Dave owners sell off their expensive amplifiers.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,072 of 2,712
I own a CDM and spent some time trying a Wa8 last week.

The CDM is great for portability. It's not smart-phone portable but I carry mine strapped to a FiiO X7mkII either in my hand or bag with no issues, and you could certainly get them into the pocket of a winter coat or even cargo pants.
Tube rolling is fun (yes it does make an audible difference - although more about your own tonal preference than actual sound quality).
As someone mentioned above, the amp adds real depth, punch and, especially with the tubes, warmth. When I got mine I was still using an iPhone 6 as a source, so adding the CDM's amp and DAC with a good pair of IEMs was life changing!

The Wa8 sounds AMAZING. It weighs a tonne so isn't portable. Rather, it's transportable thanks to the battery and more manageable size than desktop amp.
All of the reviews have said the battery life is very short.
So the Wa8 is incredibly small and transportable for a world class tube amp, but bloody heavy and short on battery for a 2017-gen on-the-move music device. It depends on which way you come at it.
There have been complaints about the Wa8 not powering demanding 'phones, but it was fine with my IEMs.
The sound blew me away and I will be buying one in the next couple of weeks. On sheer sound preference, I'd take the Wa8; but for my lifestyle and the portability, I'm glad I have the CDM. It's a fantastic product.
What does the ALO CDM with Fiio X7Mkii better? And what does the Wa8 better? Thanks Frida

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2,073 of 2,712
I have a serious issue pairing my CMD with AK240/320. After I upgraded to the latest firmware both daps I hear unpleasant clicking sounds when I change tracks and stop/pause music.
For some reason this doesn't happen if I pair a phone or a laptop with CDM. In USB-dac mode everything acts normal as well.
I guess I have to visit local repair center to roll back firmware on my AK's :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,074 of 2,712
AN issue with my cdm.

When using with my iPhone (tidal streaming and offline) i find that apmost every song has a momentary/brief drop out or two

Are others experiencing this?
I’ve been told by my store that this is an ios issue. And that’s always a possibility

I will be trying it with my mac as well to validate or discount that theory

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2,075 of 2,712
AN issue with my cdm.

When using with my iPhone (tidal streaming and offline) i find that apmost every song has a momentary/brief drop out or two

Are others experiencing this?
I’ve been told by my store that this is an ios issue. And that’s always a possibility

I will be trying it with my mac as well to validate or discount that theory

Other thread like iBasso DX200, users experience the same drop.
It is Tidal problem, not any unit ptoblem.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,076 of 2,712
Other thread like iBasso DX200, users experience the same drop.
It is Tidal problem, not any unit ptoblem.
Thanks for the info

And only when using with ios?
Edit: i guess not as I assume dx200 is using android system

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #2,077 of 2,712
Just got cdm. It didn't come with a 2.5 to 2.5 cable so here is no way to experience the balanced out to UE uerm.
Do you have to run into the cdm balanced to use the balanced out of the dac? If so where would I find a proper balanced to balanced cable.
My ak320 sounds good feeding se but I read it sounds better in balanced.
Can I plug in my ak320 via USB and then use the onboard dac to balanced out. Has anyone had any success with ask players USB out to cdm via mini USB or whatever android calls the mini out port? Will I have to send in cdm to have the mod done to enable this . When did alo start doing this mod to all outgoing cdm's? Maybe mine already has this from factory. Can anyone comment on which is better sounding ?
Finally what cabling do I need to run out of my iPhone 5. Cck? Thanks sounds great so far with mullards.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,078 of 2,712
Just got cdm. It didn't come with a 2.5 to 2.5 cable so here is no way to experience the balanced out to UE uerm.
Do you have to run into the cdm balanced to use the balanced out of the dac? If so where would I find a proper balanced to balanced cable.
Can I plug in my ak320 via USB and then use the onboard dac to balanced out. Has anyone had any success with ask players USB out to cdm via mini USB or whatever android calls the mini out port? Will I have to send in cdm to have the mod done to enable this . When did alo start doing this mod to all outgoing cdm's? Maybe mine already has this from factory. Can anyone comment on which is better sounding ?
Finally what cabling do I need to run out of my iPhone 5. Cck? Thanks sounds great so far with mullards.

ALO sells a 2.5 interconnect, and I'm sure most custom cable makers could also provide one.

The CDM is designed to give good balanced output from either single-ended or balanced sources. The CDM's own dac is not balanced IIRC.

Yes you need a CCK cable for use w/iPhone.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,079 of 2,712

I would recommend you go with your AK320 as balanced DAC output to the balanced input to your CDM. I recall Ken Ball himself showing how he used his AK380 balanced output for his CDM. You will also get a lot more battery life using the CDM as just an amp versus amp plus DAC.

As for your iPhone as source, yes you want to use the CDM in DAC+amp and need a CCK cable or you can get a 3rd party unofficial integrated cable from Penon Audio like this one:

https://penonaudio.com/lightning-to...ding-cable-for-mojohugo.html?search=lightning

This one actually uses a disassembled CCK to ensure compatibility. There are cheaper ones that use their own circuitry but may not work.

Lastly, if your CDM is purchased earlier than 2016, it definitely does not have the "R" mod. If you are the original owner, ALO will do the mod for free. All you incur is one-way shipping costs. I just did this a few weeks back and they turned it around within a week. The mod improves OTG compatibility for iOS and Android.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,080 of 2,712
In the Hong Kong high end circles there´s the unanimous opinion, that the AK380/320/300 usb output is the worst sounding, and the total true balance output is the best sounding. This is also my experience.

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,081 of 2,712
In the Hong Kong high end circles there´s the unanimous opinion, that the AK380/320/300 usb output is the worst sounding, and the total true balance output is the best sounding. This is also my experience.

My understanding is that the micro-USB on AK players is meant for connection to a computer (to be used as a DAC) or for charging and that no digital audio output is possible through USB. Is that not the case with the 300 series?

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,082 of 2,712
My understanding is that the micro-USB on AK players is meant for connection to a computer (to be used as a DAC) or for charging and that no digital audio output is possible through USB. Is that not the case with the 300 series?

All Android based AK DAPs support USB digital output. They updated firmware across the board about a year ago. Not sure how many owners use it that way considering much of the premium cost of an AK DAP is in the DAC and amp functions.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,083 of 2,712
Not sure how many owners use it that way considering much of the premium cost of an AK DAP is in the DAC and amp functions.

The issue is double amping. I would love to take advantage of the DAC, however the absence of a dedicated line out port means the connection to my CDM has to happen through the headphone out jack of the player which is an amplified signal. The additional gain stage, volume pot, etc in the signal chain affects SQ unfortunately.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #2,084 of 2,712
All Android based AK DAPs support USB digital output. They updated firmware across the board about a year ago.

Good to know, thank you. I will give it a try.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,085 of 2,712
The issue is double amping. I would love to take advantage of the DAC, however the absence of a dedicated line out port means the connection to my CDM has to happen through the headphone out jack of the player which is an amplified signal. The additional gain stage, volume pot, etc in the signal chain affects SQ unfortunately.

I had a chance to compare the AK380 CU line out from the headphone jack and also "true" line out with the dock (e.g. 4 line out pins on the bottom of the AK380) and I could not detect any difference in sound when connected to the ALO CDM. From my perspective, I view the headphone jack as a variable line out, much like the Chord Mojo and Hugo. Yes, I realize there is no amp section to the Chord products, but the resulting measurements of the AK headphone out is extremely clean, especially when driven with no load such as a very high impedance line in which is typically in the 10K Ohm or more range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back