The all new Continental Dual Mono
Nov 20, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,681 of 2,704
Hi. I'm sure it's been discussed a number of times on this thread but I'm wondering how portable the cdm is

Time is of the essence as I have the opportunity to get a very well priced cdm but need to decide tonight. I'm reading up as much as I can but if you can help that would be much appreciated

My main question is would the cdm be (or how much is the cdm) portable re heat. I would simply replace my Sony pha3 when in transit (bus and train) using it with my iPhone 6 Plus and HOLDING th cdm/phone

Would this work or is it a bit too warm for that? Or even way too warm?

Cheers
Peter

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #1,682 of 2,704
Hi. I'm sure it's been discussed a number of times on this thread but I'm wondering how portable the cdm is

Time is of the essence as I have the opportunity to get a very well priced cdm but need to decide tonight. I'm reading up as much as I can but if you can help that would be much appreciated

My main question is would the cdm be (or how much is the cdm) portable re heat. I would simply replace my Sony pha3 when in transit (bus and train) using it with my iPhone 6 Plus and HOLDING th cdm/phone

Would this work or is it a bit too warm for that? Or even way too warm?

Cheers
Peter

Cdm wasnt designed to be a portable unit. At the least, you would need to changeout the tubes to sonotones otherwise it gets too hot.

Its really meant to be transportable, meaning moved from home to office or to hotel. Not sure you woukd gain from listening on the go.

CJ

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,683 of 2,704
Cdm wasnt designed to be a portable unit. At the least, you would need to changeout the tubes to sonotones otherwise it gets too hot.

Its really meant to be transportable, meaning moved from home to office or to hotel. Not sure you woukd gain from listening on the go.

CJ

Agree. Also it can be bothered by EMI so if your phone is on and transmitting then you might hear interference, especially with some cell frequencies. Cheers

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,684 of 2,704

CJ

Agree. Also it can be bothered by EMI so if your phone is on and transmitting then you might hear interference, especially with some cell frequencies. Cheers

Thanks for your info re heat. I wasnt worried about interference (flight mode) it was more if its too hot to use if i always hold it

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,685 of 2,704
Thanks for your info re heat. I wasnt worried about interference (flight mode) it was more if its too hot to use if i always hold it

It can get too hot to hold, especially if you're using the DAC part and dual triode tubes.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,686 of 2,704
I returned the CDM as my needs were for something less hot and more portable. I ended up with the Dragonfly Red and the CV5. It not hot, has great sound, and I use it with my iPhone when traveling. It's still a stack however, so you can't fit the entire system in your slim jeans.
Luke

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,687 of 2,704
I returned the CDM as my needs were for something less hot and more portable. I ended up with the Dragonfly Red and the CV5. It not hot, has great sound, and I use it with my iPhone when traveling. It's still a stack however, so you can't fit the entire system in your slim jeans.
Luke

Nice setup. An alternative would be the mojo.

Happy listening.

CJ

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,688 of 2,704
Nice setup. An alternative would be the mojo.

Happy listening.

CJ

Yep. I rock a stack with the AK100, Mojo and CV5. Wickedly good sound for a portable set. 

Only downside is that people look at me funny, and flight attendants often ask what it is to make sure it's not a risk to the plane!

Cheers 

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #1,689 of 2,704
It can get too hot to hold, especially if you're using the DAC part and dual triode tubes.
I had a play with one today (as dac and amp) for about 30-40 minutes. Warm but absolutely manageable and great.

It might be a goer!!!!

I guess i need to sell a few things and skip through 100+ pages here.

Anybody here using the alo sleeve with the cdm for opinions?

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #1,690 of 2,704
Ps the ALO CDM is going cheap in australia (minidisc at chatswood). Wing there tells me its a christmas special. Ut limited atock. $1299 AUD.
Red hot price.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,691 of 2,704
How's tube rolling on this thing?

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,692 of 2,704
How's tube rolling on this thing?

It's limited compared to desktop tubes. The tubes themselves must be soldered onto a proprietary PCB that you can only get from ALO. You can also get fully assembled tubes from ALO, but unfortunately no Mullards. You also need to take the CDM apart to swap tubes, but after a few times, it takes about 5 min.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,694 of 2,704

The problem is they are only shipping to AU and NZ. =( I'm in the US.

THATS RIGHT!!

Aussie savings 1.... US Deals/Competitions/savings/availability 218973189728931798236789123789123

Nah I am sorry to hear man.  The savings are crazy and it is a fantastic dac/amp.
Perhaps similar deals may arise over black friday/in light of the crazy prices here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back