The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 7, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #1,652 of 2,704
Haven't test the new Raytheon 6832 for Cv5.
Should get hotter than Ray 6111, currently in CDM.
Will try to see if SQ better than Ray 6111. Probably, try to take out the glove first.

Yeah, I have a set of the 6832's for my CDM as well, but haven't tried them yet. Having too much fun with the CV5! And with the CV5 the 6832 works really well. Cheers 

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,653 of 2,704
Did @KB say it was ok to use the 6832 on CDM? With the increased current draw I would be worried that resistors are not rated for that much power.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,654 of 2,704
  Did @KB say it was ok to use the 6832 on CDM? With the increased current draw I would be worried that resistors are not rated for that much power.

He said we could try it, but that it might make the "hot" CDM even hotter!

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,655 of 2,704
  He said we could try it, but that it might make the "hot" CDM even hotter!

cool. I would imagine it would not be so bad if you just ran in amp mode. I find the DAC section adds a considerable amount of overall heat to the CDM. Thanks in advance for trying them out, I would be very interested to know if these are close to the Mullards.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,657 of 2,704
The 6832 valve in addition to spreading heat consumes a lot of battery! 0.8A with two tubes ... but I'd be curious to try it .. when will start to get cold below zero you can use it to warm your hands!
joke!
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,658 of 2,704
I just picked up a second hand CDM at a nice price, and now I'm trying to decide what to use as a source for it.  I'm rebuilding my headphone setup since I sold off old stuff to focus on my 2.0 speaker setup, so I don't currently have a source other than my iPhone 6S+.  

So I would much prefer to use the DAC in the CDM so I ideally want a source that I can connect via USB.  I've been looking around and it got me thinking, would buying something like say the Sony ZX2 offer any sonic benefit over say a new Motorola G (assuming it does OTG, which a quick search says it does)?  From what I understand if I am using the usb in on the CMD then in theory the Moto G should sound the same as the ZX2, anyone have any real world experience though?

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,659 of 2,704
  I just picked up a second hand CDM at a nice price, and now I'm trying to decide what to use as a source for it.  I'm rebuilding my headphone setup since I sold off old stuff to focus on my 2.0 speaker setup, so I don't currently have a source other than my iPhone 6S+.  

So I would much prefer to use the DAC in the CDM so I ideally want a source that I can connect via USB.  I've been looking around and it got me thinking, would buying something like say the Sony ZX2 offer any sonic benefit over say a new Motorola G (assuming it does OTG, which a quick search says it does)?  From what I understand if I am using the usb in on the CMD then in theory the Moto G should sound the same as the ZX2, anyone have any real world experience though?

I am using MOTO G3 via USB out to a Ratoc DAC / Amp (not CDM, still saving for that upgrade) and it works fantastic with USB Audio Player Pro, recommend setting the software to Bit Perfect. Actually sounds better than when I connected my iBasso DX90 to DAC / Amp. using coax. I have sold the DX90 and no longer see any advantage to a dedicated DAP if sole purpose is as transport to a DAC. Hope that helps, YMMV.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #1,660 of 2,704

Ak70?

I use my iPhone sometimes too

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #1,661 of 2,704

This one is a can of worms and you'll get good technical answers on these forums that explain very clearly why the transport makes no difference.....and some that explain very clearly why it does! I can only give you thoughts based on my ears and set up:

When I first got the CDM, I was still using iPhone 6 as transport (mainly offline Tidal albums, plus a few HD tracks via the Onkyo HF Player app) and adding the CDM made my music sound absolutely fantastic. I had one of those real "holy sh**" moments the first time I hooked up the iP6 to the CDM. But even with that improvement over just the iPhone by itself, I would recommend investing in three extra things when adding the CDM:

(1) a balanced cable for your IEMs to make use of the balanced output on the CDM;
(2) one of those little custom micro USB - micro USB OTG interconnects that replaces the Apple Camera Connection Kit + USB. I always thought that the CCK was the weak link, so even pairing the iP6 + CDM with nice IEMs, a nice IEM cable and a nice USB interconnect into the CCK, you still have the weak link CCK in the signal path;
(3) I swapped out the CDM stock tubes for one of the recommended alternatives (single triode I think). I can't say it improved the sound quality per se, but the resulting tone suited my preferences better. So have a play with some tubes if you get the chance. It's worth a couple of hours swapping them out to see if you hear one type that you prefer.
As ever, YMMV with any of the above.

I'm now using an Onkyo DP-X1 as occasional transport with the CDM, and I can't say it sounds hugely better than the iPhone + CDM (especially with those little upgrades mentioned above). However, the Onkyo obviously sounds a lot better by itself than the iPhone, so if you want a DAP that you can use solo for portability / ease of use reasons sometimes, then something like the Sony, or the AK or the Onkyo will definitely yield a sound quality improvement over the iPhone with no CDM involved. Just choose the DAP based on what you need from the DAP (good UI / lots of memory / long battery life / preferred sound signature when used solo, etc), as they will all sound fairly similar once the CDM is performing DAC and amp duities.

One last thing: do check the forums as a few DAPs have struggled to recognise the CDM (or the Chord Hugo or Mojo etc) when hooked up with an interconnect. I think I used to have to connect my iPhone to the CDM in a particular order sometimes, to get them to talk to each other. I've had the same with the Onkyo a couple of times and others have reported same with a few other DAPs. Not necessarily a deal-breaker but can be annoying!

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,664 of 2,704
I found the new Continental V5 to be pretty silent and the amount of hiss with my customs wasn't audible when music was playing. CV5 review is now up on HFN with comparisons to the CDM

I am very much interested in Continental V5 but it is hard to come by in sale forums. Would you possibly be knowing any other portabls tube or hybrid amps of similar finesse at a lower price?

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,665 of 2,704
I am very much interested in Continental V5 but it is hard to come by in sale forums. Would you possibly be knowing any other portabls tube or hybrid amps of similar finesse at a lower price?

Nope. Honestly in my experience there's nothing like the CV5 in terms of size and performance for either the price of the CV5 or less, or even quite a bit more. Next step up for me is the ALO CDM that's substantially more. Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back