The all new Continental Dual Mono
Apr 8, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #136 of 2,704
Is this sufficient power to drive my LCD 3 non fazor which I think is rated at 50ohm?

I'm still learning about tech specs so apologies if my question sounds dumb. I see amps going from 250mW to over 1W. I guess I have a higher is better mentality.

Hi Topspin70,

Yes, it should drive them w/o any trouble, but I recommend using the balanced (2.5mm TRRS) output jack to get the most power.  ALO makes an adapter cable that goes from 2.5mm TRRS
to 4-pin XLR female (to be used with the Audeze 4-pin XLR male. 

Vinnie

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #138 of 2,704
Apr 8, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #140 of 2,704
I think more of you need to try the CDM, then you'll be a believer. It drives many headphones beautifully. I hope this product takes off and to more than just head-fi.

Also I was a little confused by some of the terminology on this thread. Does anybody know what TOTL means?

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #141 of 2,704
Apr 8, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #142 of 2,704
I think more of you need to try the CDM, then you'll be a believer. It drives many headphones beautifully. I hope this product takes off and to more than just head-fi.

Also I was a little confused by some of the terminology on this thread. Does anybody know what TOTL means?

TOTL = top of the line.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #143 of 2,704
TOTL = top of the line

I'm sure many people would be keen to have a listen if the opportunity presents itself again.  Even if it is in the bathroom of a speaker show!

I can't get over the contrast of how much the hugo costs and how cheap it looks

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #144 of 2,704

I think that was referring to "top of the line."

Awesome, thanks for the correction. This is very interesting and meand I should give the Hug o more thought. Of course, not that I can afford one.

You should listen to the Hugo you can - it's an excellent product.  But definitely listen and compare it to a CDM and decide which one sounds better to you.  
cool.gif

Also compare the look and build quality to see what you prefer.  And the price, of course.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #145 of 2,704

I think that was referring to "top of the line."

Awesome, thanks for the correction. This is very interesting and meand I should give the Hug o more thought. Of course, not that I can afford one.

You should listen to the Hugo you can - it's an excellent product.  But definitely listen and compare it to a CDM and decide which one sounds better to you.  
cool.gif

Also compare the look and build quality to see what you prefer.  And the price, of course.
wink.gif

As farr as build quality and looks go, the CDM wins on both counts.  And the pricing makes it a hat trick. Will have to figure out a way to hear these. Being trapped in Indiana doesn't make it easy to audition gear.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #146 of 2,704
Yeah, the Hugo is a Sabre DAC. Unless I'm mistaken. 

It is kind of a software DAC since Mr Watts programmed the d/a functions into a Spartan FPGA (array of logic doors). You can get Hugo DAC without the amp section buying the 2Qute dac.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #148 of 2,704
Hello Vinnie and Alo team,
I am a happy owner of The PanAm and The Gateway and I have been looking for gear like this! Could you honestly tell me if the sound quality is better than on PanAm? Is it a nice step up? Because the price is! :-D
Also I would like to know if the dac would work with the new Sony Walkmans eg NWZ-A15/A17 please?
Thank you!
Greetings from Slovakia.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #149 of 2,704
Hello Vinnie and Alo team,
I am a happy owner of The PanAm and The Gateway and I have been looking for gear like this! Could you honestly tell me if the sound quality is better than on PanAm? Is it a nice step up? Because the price is! :-D
Also I would like to know if the dac would work with the new Sony Walkmans eg NWZ-A15/A17 please?
Thank you!
Greetings from Slovakia.

Hi Tibor,

I would give the nod to the CDM, far less grainy is the biggest thing I notice, more low end extension and a overall larger musical sphere, DAC is also far better. The CDM is more advanced than the Pan AM on just about every level. I do not know of the CDM DAC can take the digits off the Sony player. Is the Sony Android based?

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #150 of 2,704
Thank you Ken! This Sony Walkman is not Android based, but it works with some other dacs, so it might do.
So now I better start saving some money so I can buy your new Continental one day. But till then, PanAm it is :) thanks!
Tibor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back