The all new Continental Dual Mono
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #111 of 2,704
the cdm doesn't have optical only usb,as i understand you can only use the amp if you'll use dx90 as the source.we"ll wait maybe on the cdm 2 they will include optical like the hugo.

That is what I mean, why should I buy a combined DAC and amp if I can't attach a mobile source like the DX90 and take advantage of the proclaimed superb CDM DAC?

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #112 of 2,704
Come on guys, give them fine owners the weekend off - I'm sure they'll reply suring the week :D

I have a question / suggestion for the designers: How would the prospects be of giving this bad boy a DAC-only option? I'm not saying anything against your amp, but this way we have the additional option of using your great DAC with an amp of our choice while not on the road. Thanks again!

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #113 of 2,704
I understand that the CDM is built around its amp section, the DAC part feeding it but bypassable.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #114 of 2,704
  Does it have both line-in and output for 2.5mm balanced like AK240?

Hi dandanng,

CDM has BOTH 2.5mm balanced line in and 2.5mm balanced headphone out.
It also has BOTH 3.5mm SE line in and 3.5mm SE headphone output.
It also has SE line out (true line out from the dac output stage).

That is what I mean, why should I buy a combined DAC and amp if I can't attach a mobile source like the DX90 and take advantage of the proclaimed superb CDM DAC?

Hi ebe2000,

CDM only has a USB digital input (for use with your PC/MAC computer, or iOS or Android device).  For DX90, you'd have to use it's line out to
feed CDM's line in.

As far as your comment about "why should I buy..." - as always it is your decision in life as to why or why not you should buy anything.
wink.gif

If CDM does not appeal to you or fit your needs, then your decision should be easy.  For other people, CDM might very much appeal to them.
There is something out there for everyone.

I have a question / suggestion for the designers: How would the prospects be of giving this bad boy a DAC-only option? I'm not saying anything against your amp, but this way we have the additional option of using your great DAC with an amp of our choice while not on the road. Thanks again!

Hi DecentLevi,

I'll let KB of ALO respond to that one.  While I assisted with the design of the CDM, ALO decides on the features and their product offerings.

I understand that the CDM is built around its amp section, the DAC part feeding it but bypassable.

Hi cladane,

With CDM, there are two main sections:  DAC section and AMP section.

One can choose to use:

1) Both DAC AND AMP
2) Only the AMP (via line inputs, so DAC section is then internally turned OFF / not used)
3) Only the DAC (via SE line out)

All the best,

Vinnie

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #116 of 2,704
What about sensitive IEMs ? Is there a special output?

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #117 of 2,704
What about sensitive IEMs ? Is there a special output?

Cladane,

The low gain on the CDM is surprisingly good with IEMs, low noise floor with no tube microphonics. The background noise is not as low as the Rx but is not anywhere as loud as the Mk3B.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #118 of 2,704
If the amp section is as capable and good-sounding as the Pan Am, I'm very tempted. If it's better, I'm ready to stand up and beg for buttermilk. Would love to get impressions of the DAC portion. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #119 of 2,704
I've had two amps from ALO and loved them both, especially the Pan Am. That thing had some serious versatility: It drove every headphone I threw at it beautifully and responded well to tube-rolling. The signature was non-fatiguing. I think a TOTL DAC paired with an amp of at least the quality of the Pan Am would make the CDM very competitive. Of course, this is an upgrade for the Continental line, which I haven't heard personally. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #120 of 2,704
I took some more photos today, couple more angles. all markings are engraved into the aluminum

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back