The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #3,812 of 4,580
Well, my pair arrived this week, and my early impressions are really good. These seem way more comfortable than my HD600, and they sound pretty darn good, too.

whoa how u get yours already?? the drop just ended like 3 days ago right? i thought they aren't shipping til may 4...hoping mine comes soon :D i bought final fantasy 9 on steam 2 days ago, but im waiting for my k7xx to play it....ff music = awesome and i only want to hear it through k7xx, and maybe ill get a vali 2 with 

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,813 of 4,580
Well, my pair arrived this week, and my early impressions are really good. These seem way more comfortable than my HD600, and they sound pretty darn good, too.

Guess you ordered on the second last batch, not the latest one, right? How long did it take to arrive and what setup are you running it on?

Mind showing me your dac/amp setup and how's the sound like guys?

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #3,814 of 4,580
My second set of mid grade cans to complement my Momentum v1's! Can't wait for them to ship, keeping busy trying to figure out how I'm going to drive them--so many conflicting opinions and no real brick&mortars here to play around at :).

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,815 of 4,580
  My second set of mid grade cans to complement my Momentum v1's! Can't wait for them to ship, keeping busy trying to figure out how I'm going to drive them--so many conflicting opinions and no real brick&mortars here to play around at :).

you'll have as  many different opinions as you do people, but in the end ya gotta try for yourself. ive tried quite a few dac/amps and imo along with many others, the o2odac is the best because it sounds just as good as any transparent/neutral dac/amp worth buying.... even barnuclese and linus said they heard no difference between o2odac and wa7 (thousand dollar tube amp, though its designed to be neutral... so you are basically paying for the aesthetic)

my o2odac is by far my favorite because i just love how clear the odac sounds and the o2 seems to power everything i throw at it perfectly. though im looking at getting a tube amp soon cus i want some nice warm pleasure and i dont have a hot anime girlfriend :frowning2: 

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3,816 of 4,580

Guess you ordered on the second last batch, not the latest one, right? How long did it take to arrive and what setup are you running it on?

Mind showing me your dac/amp setup and how's the sound like guys?
Yup. This is from the previous drop and is a black edition. That drop ended March 29, and my package arrived on Tuesday/

I am using a Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack. Sounds good, but I'm still getting a feel for things.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,819 of 4,580

Those amps are all OTL aren't they?  Best suited for high impedance headphones, not low impedance like the K7xx.

oh... cus i was also looking at audioquest nighthawk which i think is only 25ohm impedance, so does that mean it would also not be good with darkvoice? what tube amp should i get instead then if i want that warm liquid honey sound? should i get a bravo v2? 

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #3,820 of 4,580
  oh... cus i was also looking at audioquest nighthawk which i think is only 25ohm impedance, so does that mean it would also not be good with darkvoice? what tube amp should i get instead then if i want that warm liquid honey sound? should i get a bravo v2? 

What is your budget?

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #3,822 of 4,580

i'm saying this because i have been through where you are right now,  and it's going to piss people off - but whatever: tubes are obsolete, which is why they aren't common now, not because "engineers these days are stupid" - and a lot of that nos stuff marketed is complete snail oil. I'm not a huge fan of schiit, but even their top tube amps are designed more with solid state in mind with a neutral sound... if you want that vintage tube experience do this:

use your o2odac + 650hd

use this eq

then buy this and put it on your desk:

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Childrens-Wireless-Lighting-Power/dp/B00NUHNLBU/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291553&sr=8-8&keywords=touch+light+orb

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,823 of 4,580
  i'm saying this because i have been through where you are right now,  and it's going to piss people off - but whatever: tubes are obsolete, which is why they aren't common now, not because "engineers these days are stupid" - and a lot of that nos stuff marketed is complete snail oil. I'm not a huge fan of schiit, but even their top tube amps are designed more with solid state in mind with a neutral sound... if you want that vintage tube experience do this:

use your o2odac + 650hd

use this eq

then buy this and put it on your desk:

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Childrens-Wireless-Lighting-Power/dp/B00NUHNLBU/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291553&sr=8-8&keywords=touch+light+orb

Tubes are very common still, especially once you get into higher end, in fact I found there are just as many if not more high-end tube amps as high-end solid state amps. That EQ doesn't sound anything like a tube experience on the HD 650. If an amp rolls off the treble that much, that's just bad amp design regardless of tube or solid state. Many vintage amps both transistor and tube can have very rolled off treble. That EQ is more of lower quality vintage gear compared to newer more neutral gear rather than tube vs ss. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,825 of 4,580

Tubes are very common still, especially once you get into higher end, in fact I found there are just as many if not more high-end tube amps as high-end solid state amps. That EQ doesn't sound anything like a tube amp on the HD 650. If an amp rolls off the treble that much, that's just bad amp design regardless of tube or solid state.

Actually you got it backwards - these days higher end tube amps are for the most part designed to sound neutral - almost indistinguishable from an o2 minus the fancy glow depending how good you are at lying to yourself. Sorry, but I'm just severely allergic to BS and I gotta call a spade a spade, especially when I see somebody asking those kinds of questions. But it's all good, headfi needs its sponsors, I just felt bad for Darien because looking at his other posts he seems highly impressionable, and I didn't want to see him throw his money away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back