The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #3,796 of 4,580
@Darian, I just went back and fort with my K7XX and HD-650, while both are comfortable there is one difference that would matter to you, with the HD-650 you can bend the metal sliders to help with the clamping force but with the K7XX you can't change the clamping force as much since you are bending spring steel headband which does not change its shape unless heated to high temps.

Also, the highs are not like the HD-598 (going on memory here), smoother and never really harsh unless the recording is poor.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3,797 of 4,580
Hello K7XX thread!  I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm now running the Audiophile Custom Products for Massdrop.

Here are a few words from Will and a bit of my story... LINK

You'll still see Will around, he's a true audiophile. 
tongue.gif

Happy to be here,
Christian

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,798 of 4,580
  The K7XX and K712s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  However, if they don't feel good to you, you may simply never like over the ear headphones. But don't give up on being an audiophile!!!  Lot's of IEMs to try. 

thanks, today i got the nfb-11 and i found it extremely sharp/painful compared to my o2odac....so do audiophiles like the sharp or "details" ? i cant even stand it :frowning2: so does that mean i am not a audiophile? 

are there audiophiles like me that like o2odac or warmer sounds? so if i found the nfb-11 sharp with my studio monitors, does that mean the k7xx will be too sharp for me? too late i guess i already bought it....so if k7xx is too sharp im pretty ma900 is my only other option  and if that doesnt fit good i will just have to be a speaker person cus iems really hurt my ears :frowning2: 

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,799 of 4,580
@Darien
Yes the K7XX is brighter than the HD650. The 7XX are comfortable though so is the MA900, I'd say the MA900 is more comfortable because of the speaker like presentation. MA900 sounds closer to the HD650 if that's the sound signature you like. I feel like you might be disappointed in the K7XX.

Try letting your NFB-11 burn in a bit to see if the sound changes. If you still don't like it just sell it. 

I recommend a Schiit Vali 2 or one of the Garage1217 amps they are smoother sounding. Based on you not liking the NFB-11 I'd say try getting a tube amp. I think you are after the smooth sound that a tube amp can provide.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #3,800 of 4,580
  not worried about bass heavy, but is the treble sharp/fatiguing at all? like i found the 598hd sharp and fatiguing - so would i like these? 

Ignore what Raymond said below, they are absolutely warm, I'm sort of blown away surprised that you did find the 598's fatiguing, I will say that these are smoother than the 598's.  I would say keep your drop, you'll be happy. 
gs1000.gif

Edit: Just went and went through a song on my K7XX and the 598's back to back.  The thing I definitely notice between the two is the mids/highs are smoother and more defined, I hate to say it but it's recessed on the 598's.  The cymbals (I'm a drummer, 17 years) are hard to hear the separation on.  One thing I strongly recommend is removing the foam inserts underneath the earpads and the bass port foam, the clarity after that is fantastic.

Guys, for future reference, the AKG K7XX ARE NOT WARM!!!! When people say they are "warm", they are comparing them to really cold, treble-biased cans in the same AKG K7 series like the K701 or Q701. The K7XX are still very much a "cold" pair of headphones. If you're looking for a warm sounding pair, these are not for you.
Also, you will most definitely need a DAC and Amp for these.

Have you actually heard these headphones?  I'm wearing them right now, they're definitely warmer than the HD598's (What I'm replacing) but certainly not as warm as my Fostex X00, but they're not supposed to be.  Not sure why you think typing in all caps and bold makes something instantly true...
confused.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,801 of 4,580
  thanks, today i got the nfb-11 and i found it extremely sharp/painful compared to my o2odac....so do audiophiles like the sharp or "details" ? i cant even stand it :frowning2: so does that mean i am not a audiophile? 

are there audiophiles like me that like o2odac or warmer sounds? so if i found the nfb-11 sharp with my studio monitors, does that mean the k7xx will be too sharp for me? too late i guess i already bought it....so if k7xx is too sharp im pretty ma900 is my only other option  and if that doesnt fit good i will just have to be a speaker person cus iems really hurt my ears :frowning2: 

I didn't think the ODAC/O2 was warm, its about the most neutral DAC/amp combo I've heard.  I can see the nfb-11 being bright/sharp due to the Saber ES9018 chip.

As @audiojun noted a Garage 1217 or the Vali2 amp might be better suited to you for the sound that you seem to like.

As @OddballStream noted the K7XX is not bright/harsh, the HD-598 is brighter.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #3,802 of 4,580
Ignore what Raymond said below, they are absolutely warm, I'm sort of blown away surprised that you did find the 598's fatiguing, I will say that these are smoother than the 598's.  I would say keep your drop, you'll be happy. :gs1000smile:

Have you actually heard these headphones?  I'm wearing them right now, they're definitely warmer than the HD598's (What I'm replacing) but certainly not as warm as my Fostex X00, but they're not supposed to be.  Not sure why you think typing in all caps and bold makes something instantly true...:confused:  

Ya I feel like DAC/amp makes a huge difference too. I only had a e10k when ibhad my 598hd, but then I exchanged the 598hd for o2odac and 650hd, and i feel like the e10k sounds more tinny than the o2odac, but I feel like maybe if I tried 598hd with o2odac it wouldn't be harsh, but I exchanged 598hd for 650hd.

Like with this nfb-11 (which they say they burn in 100 hours prior to shipping) on my studio monitors even it sounds like a warn sound, not bass heavy but it hurts!! Liie gives me a piercing headache... I wonder if it's maybe some high frequency that my ears are sensitive to but my brain can't process, maybe like a dog whistle or something... Idk cus the nfb-11 does sound indistinguishably similar to my o2odac, but something with the way the sound goes in my ear makes it hurt really really bad. I even set up an a\b switch with hot keys and a switch to make sure It wasn't just in my head, and even took a nap and came back fresh but now it's evening and quiet and I can definitely say it hurts. But now I feel in love with my o2odac cus I always thought it was cheap and crappy looking, like the millennium falcon she's got it where it counts...like smooth honey in my ear...the nfb-11 made Johnny cash hurt....HOW DO YOU MAKE JOHNNY CASH HURT??

btw don't beat me up nfb-11 owners, I love the build and the features, I just am sensitive to the sound...I wish I could get my o2odac in an nfb-11 box lol.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #3,803 of 4,580
Ya I feel like DAC/amp makes a huge difference too. I only had a e10k when ibhad my 598hd, but then I exchanged the 598hd for o2odac and 650hd, and i feel like the e10k sounds more tinny than the o2odac, but I feel like maybe if I tried 598hd with o2odac it wouldn't be harsh, but I exchanged 598hd for 650hd.

Like with this nfb-11 (which they say they burn in 100 hours prior to shipping) on my studio monitors even it sounds like a warn sound, not bass heavy but it hurts!! Liie gives me a piercing headache... I wonder if it's maybe some high frequency that my ears are sensitive to but my brain can't process, maybe like a dog whistle or something... Idk cus the nfb-11 does sound indistinguishably similar to my o2odac, but something with the way the sound goes in my ear makes it hurt really really bad. I even set up an a\b switch with hot keys and a switch to make sure It wasn't just in my head, and even took a nap and came back fresh but now it's evening and quiet and I can definitely say it hurts. But now I feel in love with my o2odac cus I always thought it was cheap and crappy looking, like the millennium falcon she's got it where it counts...like smooth honey in my ear...the nfb-11 made Johnny cash hurt....HOW DO YOU MAKE JOHNNY CASH HURT??

btw don't beat me up nfb-11 owners, I love the build and the features, I just am sensitive to the sound...I wish I could get my o2odac in an nfb-11 box lol.

It most certainly does, I stealth edited my post up there as well to include a quick sound test.  I'm using the Asgard 2 and the BiFrost, which some think the Asgard 2 to be warm, but I immensely impressed with the AKG's for $200.

If you have 650's why are you looking at the AKG's? upgraditis?  Don't worry, I know that feel.

Dammit another stealth edit, I wanted to also mention that I'm very impressed by the comfort and sound stage thus far, while not as expansive as the HD598's the AKG's are close.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #3,804 of 4,580
It most certainly does, I stealth edited my post up there as well to include a quick sound test.  I'm using the Asgard 2 and the BiFrost, which some think the Asgard 2 to be warm, but I immensely impressed with the AKG's for $200.

If you have 650's why are you looking at the AKG's? upgraditis?  Don't worry, I know that feel.

Dammit another stealth edit, I wanted to also mention that I'm very impressed by the comfort and sound stage thus far, while not as expansive as the HD598's the AKG's are close.

I love my 650hd sound, but the way they fit on my head, maybe a combination of the shape and the clamp I can't stand them more than 5 minutes at a tine!! Sucks that I am treble sensitive and clamp sensitive!! So hoping k7xx will be a more comfy alternative to My 650. And yeah I've been stretching my 650s out for 3 months now on the metal parts!!

Im actually looking to get into tube amps in the near future, screw detail lol it hurts too much. Much rather have that nice warm distortion for multiple eargasms.

I was looking at the little dot mk2, how does it compare to the vali?

Btw sorry for all my typos, on my phone in bed and very sleepy.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #3,805 of 4,580
Also I saw a Linus tech tip YouTube video where he reviewed the little dot Mk 4 I think and he said he didn't hear any difference between that and his magni/modi schiit stack?? What's up with that?

Here's the video at 3:50

https://youtu.be/N4xRrPesYPM

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3,806 of 4,580
I love my 650hd sound, but the way they fit on my head, maybe a combination of the shape and the clamp I can't stand them more than 5 minutes at a tine!! Sucks that I am treble sensitive and clamp sensitive!! So hoping k7xx will be a more comfy alternative to My 650.

Im actually looking to get into tube amps in the near future, screw detail lol it hurts too much. Much rather have that nice warm distortion for multiple eargasms.

I was looking at the little dot mk2, how does it compare to the vali?

Btw sorry for all my typos, on my phone in bed and very sleepy.

Tube amps aren't lacking in detail in my experience, I never feel like I'm lacking something with tubes, it's usually the other way around I find I'm missing something on solid state. I may be odd in this but I found tube amps to be both clearer sounding and faster(being able to handle complex passages better) than solid state on average. Wouldn't really call them all that warm either, tubes are usually smoother in my experience but not always warmer. My solid state amp is slightly warmer than my tube amp for example.

I understand what you mean by pain to the ears, I have extremely sensitive ears, so far only tubes with certain headphones have fully alleviated irritation from sound, especially in regards to long-term listening. Different DACs do vary in terms of smoothness as well, I also found optical tends to be less fatiguing to my ears than USB.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #3,807 of 4,580
Tube amps aren't lacking in detail in my experience, I never feel like I'm lacking something with tubes, it's usually the other way around I find I'm missing something on solid state. I may be odd in this but I found tube amps to be both clearer sounding and faster(being able to handle complex passages better) than solid state on average. Wouldn't really call them all that warm either, tubes are usually smoother in my experience but not always warmer. My solid state amp is slightly warmer than my tube amp for example.

I understand what you mean by pain to the ears, I have extremely sensitive ears, so far only tubes with certain headphones have fully alleviated irritation from sound, especially in regards to long-term listening. Different DACs do vary in terms of smoothness as well, I also found optical tends to be less fatiguing to my ears than USB.

Right on I feel ya. Reading more bout tube amps and I think I'll go for the vali 2 cus it's close to my price range andi like that it's only 1 tube rather than having to find a combination out of many different tubes...I'm a simple, or maybe lazy man, so I like things to be simple lol

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #3,808 of 4,580
Awesome, love reading your comments on various amps / dacs since I'm looking for one as well to compensate the arrival of my K7XX mid-may. Keep the comments coming guys
beerchug.gif

Right now I'm leaning towards the Aune T1 Mk2 tho..

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,809 of 4,580
@Darian, was just reading your post when my GF saw in your signature where you say "wish i had a hot anime girlfriend :frowning2: ", She asked why doesn't he wish for a real girlfriend
confused.gif
.  I couldn't guess at an answer to that so decided to ask here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back