The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 18, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,782 of 4,580
Sorry, haven't tried the CEntrance DACport slim.

I've only used the T1 Mk2 a few times when I visit my ex-girlfriend's place but she bought it as a recommendation from me which I got here on head-fi.  I did give her a few tubes to roll and she's really happy with the T1 Mk2 for her K7XX and HD-650.  FWIW I'm using a Bifrost MB and either Ember or Lyr2 for the K7XX.
i see. Thanks for the explanation man. I currently have an Asus Xonar Essence STX linked to my Hivi M50W speakers. Never tried to run a headphone with it tho, but the box said it could run up to 600 ohms easily.

Right now I'm looking for a separate dac/amp for my soon-arriving K7XX. I don't want it to be harsh / bright / sibilant in any way if possible.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #3,783 of 4,580
Is it true the highs can be harsh sometimes? I'm coming from the ATH-M50..

Can't compare to the ATH-M50 specifically, but the K7XX is detailed enough to make a low quality source sound harsh. With better sources, it sounds very natural - something I like since I listen to a lot of acoustic music.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,784 of 4,580
Can't compare to the ATH-M50 specifically, but the K7XX is detailed enough to make a low quality source sound harsh. With better sources, it sounds very natural - something I like since I listen to a lot of acoustic music.
Right now I don't listen to FLAC or similar. Mostly Spotify on extreme quality which is 320kbif/s. I love strong & clear treble but I don't like it going over the limit & being harsh.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,785 of 4,580
i see. Thanks for the explanation man. I currently have an Asus Xonar Essence STX linked to my Hivi M50W speakers. Never tried to run a headphone with it tho, but the box said it could run up to 600 ohms easily.

Right now I'm looking for a separate dac/amp for my soon-arriving K7XX. I don't want it to be harsh / bright / sibilant in any way if possible.

I used to have a STX, and it will work with K7XX quite well, I didn't do any EQ but it is an option.

As for a separate DAC and amp, I think the T1 Mk2 is great since you can use tubes to tame the highs.  Another option might be Vali2 amp and use the line out from the STX.

As for comparison to M50x, the highs on the K7XX are smoother and less forward, bass is more present on M50x but K7XX goes lower, mids are a better on K7XX but a touch recessed to me.  The K7XX is more neutral while the M50x is a little more fun.  I do have Shure velour pads on my M50x which make it much more comfortable and also smooth/dampen the highs a little and also cuts some bass.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #3,786 of 4,580
I used to have a STX, and it will work with K7XX quite well, I didn't do any EQ but it is an option.

As for a separate DAC and amp, I think the T1 Mk2 is great since you can use tubes to tame the highs.  Another option might be Vali2 amp and use the line out from the STX.

As for comparison to M50x, the highs on the K7XX are smoother and less forward, bass is more present on M50x but K7XX goes lower, mids are a better on K7XX but a touch recessed to me.  The K7XX is more neutral while the M50x is a little more fun.  I do have Shure velour pads on my M50x which make it much more comfortable and also smooth/dampen the highs a little and also cuts some bass.
I see. How was the sound from the Xonar Essence STX compared to the T1 Mk2 by using the K7XX? Do you still remember?

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #3,787 of 4,580
I see. How was the sound from the Xonar Essence STX compared to the T1 Mk2 by using the K7XX? Do you still remember?

Never got to hear them side by side so going on audio memory here which is not the best so take with a grain of salt.

I remember that the STX had a slightly more dynamic sound but could get harsh with some recordings while the T1 Mk2 is smooth with almost any recording but not quite as detailed.  Comes down to a preference of which sound you like better. 

The good think with the T1 mk2 is that you can always use only the DAC section which is where the tube is and connect to a more powerful amp later.  The amp section of the T1 mk2 is the weak part of the combo.

With the STX you can also connect an amp to the line out or even a external DAC that has coax/optical input.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,788 of 4,580
Guys, for future reference, the AKG K7XX ARE NOT WARM!!!! When people say they are "warm", they are comparing them to really cold, treble-biased cans in the same AKG K7 series like the K701 or Q701. The K7XX are still very much a "cold" pair of headphones. If you're looking for a warm sounding pair, these are not for you.
Also, you will most definitely need a DAC and Amp for these.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,789 of 4,580
  Guys, for future reference, the AKG K7XX ARE NOT WARM!!!! When people say they are "warm", they are comparing them to really cold, treble-biased cans in the same AKG K7 series like the K701 or Q701. The K7XX are still very much a "cold" pair of headphones. If you're looking for a warm sounding pair, these are not for you.
Also, you will most definitely need a DAC and Amp for these.

damn really?? i got like 12 hours to cancel!!! should iget the ma-900 instead since i am treble sensitive? though ive heard people say the ma900 can get uncomfy cus thin pads and it presses against your head? also linustechtip k7xx  its less sparkley than 600 which is neutral! 

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3,790 of 4,580
damn really?? i got like 12 hours to cancel!!! should iget the ma-900 instead since i am treble sensitive? though ive heard people say the ma900 can get uncomfy cus thin pads and it presses against your head? also linustechtip k7xx  its less sparkley than 600 which is neutral! 

For $199, these are hard to beat. I tend to pick these up more than the HD-650's based on comfort alone. Sound signature is not bass heavy at all, but its there. The 7xx is a great headphone, and at $199, you can't really go wrong. Just depends on Red or Black for the color preference. I'd say go for it, but this hobby has made me numb to prices. Just do it....:)

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,791 of 4,580
For $199, these are hard to beat. I tend to pick these up more than the HD-650's based on comfort alone. Sound signature is not bass heavy at all, but its there. The 7xx is a great headphone, and at $199, you can't really go wrong. Just depends on Red or Black for the color preference. I'd say go for it, but this hobby has made me numb to prices. Just do it....:)

not worried about bass heavy, but is the treble sharp/fatiguing at all? like i found the 598hd sharp and fatiguing - so would i like these? 

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #3,792 of 4,580
i think in the end life itself is like this only....you gotta go through the things that aren't right for you to find out what you truly need.

like before i always had cheapo headphones, but then i decided i want something good and the 598hd was my first purchase

but then i learned that the treble is too sharp for me and that i am treble sensitive, so later i got 650hd

and now i learned that i am treble sensitive (from the 598hd) and clamp sensitive from the 650hd, so that helps narrow down to the k7xx

so hopefully the k7xx will be perfect for me....hopefully i dont find out they have something else that im sensitive too that i dont even know about yet - but considering i hear they got loose clamp, memory foam circle shaped velour pads, and are warm sounding - i think its a safe bet right?

i think its safe to say that if the k7xx are uncomfortable to me then i am just not meant to be an audiophile. I mean I know there are countless headphones out there... But if you narrow down which ones are warm sounding and have light clamp it really doesn't have a lot of choices under 500, unless I go to ma900 or something which I saw a lot of people say are pretty grainy...so I really hope k7xx works our for me!!!

The K7XX and K712s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  However, if they don't feel good to you, you may simply never like over the ear headphones. But don't give up on being an audiophile!!!  Lot's of IEMs to try. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #3,794 of 4,580

Well, in some sense, it's all relative to what people are comparing them to. So insisting that they are not warm doesn't really follow if one is aware of that.

That being said, their measured frequency response frequency response does show them to be a bit more warm than cold, if one is using measurements to compare headphones.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,795 of 4,580

Well, in some sense, it's all relative to what people are comparing them to. So insisting that they are not warm doesn't really follow if one is aware of that.

That being said, their measured frequency response frequency response does show them to be a bit more warm than cold, if one is using measurements to compare headphones.

Yep, measurements, experience, and comparing these to other headphones confirm it: these are warm. Bass is elevated in relation to treble, and to me are extremely colored, as in tuned toward bass and low-mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back