1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by project86, Nov 22, 2014.
Tags:
First

Back
294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303
Next

Last
  1. Baycode
    DavidA and cardeli22 like this.
  2. CEE TEE
    Nice collection, @Baycode . @tdogzthmn sits next to me working on Audiophile at Drop and he brings those vintage AKG in but substitutes a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp for the Darkvoice. Those are really nice phones. Classic.

Baycode likes this.
  3. Baycode
    Thanks @CEE TEE

Recently K400 is getting more head-time. I really appreciate AKG engineers (both sound and parts) at that time. Approximately 30 years ago they set some serious standards (sonically) which still can be traced in K7XX.

PS: Have a nice work @tdogzthmn :beerchug:

MtnMan307 likes this.
  4. MtnMan307
    I’ve had a very good experience with the K7XX overall for over 3 years now. I think it is one of the best headphones on the market, all things considered. Hard to beat for $200 brand new.

Baycode likes this.
  5. Baycode
    Agreed.

6. Mouseman
    I really enjoyed mine, but then I got the Massdrop Sennheiser Jubilees, and they fit my preferred sound signature better. Then I got the Burson Playmate, which has tons of power, and tried the K7XXs when I was breaking it in, and WOW! They really responded to the extra power. They are now getting equal time whenever I use the Playmate, because it really makes them sing.

MtnMan307 likes this.
  7. Baycode
    I never got used to HD58X sound. I couldn't feel the emotion of the sound with them. I sold both pairs (used and NIB headphones). Still keeping K7XX though.

Anyone having any problems with K7XX letters on earcups? Mine faded away after 1 year of use (which can be seen on my Vintage AKG review page). Interesting but I never wipe clean or touch those letters and I always baby my AKG's. Very very dissapointing! :/ Is this situation covered by warranty?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  8. demevalos
    I created a teardown guide for the K7XX, which will allow you to get all the way down to the bare driver and fix whatever needs to be fixed, including the infamous creaking gimble issue so many of us have had. Other fixes include driver rattle caused from hair, broken wires, and general cleaning.

As far as I can tell, all AKG models with this same design can also follow this guide (K702 K712 K612 etc etc)

https://imgur.com/a/gs0cRAB

Maxx134 and DavidA like this.
  9. kid vic
    Sold my K340s a little over a month ago and picking up my K400s tomorrow. Still own the K240 sextetts and K7XX.... Great minds think a like.

Baycode likes this.
  10. jwong
    I picked up a set from Blinq for a song, and I've been enjoying them so far. But I just twisted off the pads and notice the small foam circles are just loose inside there. Is that the way they come when new?

I've been trying the Brainwavz big perforated pads too, but I'm not sure they change the tone in any good way.

11. kid vic
    Yes the foam rings are supposed to be like that.

12. drym
    And, do someone know, where i can buy this black regulation rope? Aliexpress?[​IMG]

cardeli22 likes this.
  13. robo24
    Just got a used pair of these. I like them more than the similarly priced HE-4XX and 6XX, particularly for the soundstage. I've not seen it mentioned in this thread, but for those who EQ Sonarworks Reference 4 seems to improve them more than any of my others except the HD 700. Didn't notice the graininess until toggling the adjustment on or off. This is out of a Hugo 2.

cardeli22 likes this.
  14. MtnMan307
    Listening to "Money" by Pink Floyd on the K7XX with the Lyr 3. Very nice.

cardeli22 likes this.
  15. Immersed
    The clear plastic parts on mine both broke as well. Seems to be indicative of the overall build quality of these K7** models. That said it doesn't seem to affect functionality at all.

The problem I'm having with mine is finding original replacement pads, they don't exist. So far I've tried two Dekoni pads, the 'Elite Valour' and 'Fenestration Sheepskin'. They feel okay but change the sound way too much and not for the better.

It's getting to the point where it'll be cheaper just to buy another K7XX from Drop.

Can anyone recommend some pads that sound the same or very close to the stock pads?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
First

Back
294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303
Next

Last