The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #4,516 of 4,580
Take a peak at his profile, he has more than enough amp choices to drive the K7XX and I'd say most of them would be quite a bit better than the Vali2
I do also have a Jotunheim and it plays pretty well with K7XX, but listening with that headphone and Vali 2 right now. IMO it punches above its price, running an Amperex PQ tube and remembering why this setup in some ways outranks my LCD-2 out of the Jot.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #4,517 of 4,580
Not a new image, but when I first got them, I think they were quite similar. Turns out I need more proper amping.
16388105_1447201201998043_1371780332631198576_n.jpg

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #4,520 of 4,580
I have O2 amp. I want to change my amp. Which one do you prefrer Vali 2 or Alex Cavalli Masdrop Edition? I like extensible treble.
The Vali2 might be better, depending on how it plays with Siemen or Amperex tubes.

How would you describe them now?
The k7xx is still warmer, but the Q701 now leans more towards the K701's sound. The bass on the Q701 extends deeper but leaner than when it was amped with my Little Dot I+. The soundstage on the Q701 feels bigger but not as "unnatural" as on the K7xx, which has both a big soundstage and quite a lot of warmth.
Overally I think the K7xx is easier to drive as it doesn't improve much moving from the I+ to the Burson Play. The Q701 is another story, if previously they felt quite similar now I'd have to say you'd have to pay close attention to the mid-range to realize they're siblings.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #4,521 of 4,580
I received my AKG K7XX yesterday and I must say that it's a very enjoyable sounding headphone. I haven't made any direct comparisons yet with my HD650 (with Dekoni pads) or with my HD6XX (standard pads) but I love the relaxed, wide soundstage and the satisfying bass of the K7XX.

May 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #4,522 of 4,580
Which DAC/amp: Schiit stack (Magni 3 + Modi 2 uber) or iFi Nano iDSD BL?

Sound quality paired with K7XX is primary consideration.

Portability not a factor.

$200 budget but could stretch to Vali 2 in Schiit stack if really worth it.

Nano has MQA but Schiit has better power.

Thanks.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #4,523 of 4,580
Which DAC/amp: Schiit stack (Magni 3 + Modi 2 uber) or iFi Nano iDSD BL?

Sound quality paired with K7XX is...

Thanks.

I would go Vali 2 or Magni 3. Vali 2 is a great match with K7XX but you might like the Magni 3 about equally.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #4,524 of 4,580
Recently got a Massdrop AKG K7XX red edition. Enjoying it a lot! I am now playing it straight out of an AK A&Futura SE100. The DAP seems to drive the headphone just fine.

This is the first time I purchased a open back headphone. It is quite enjoyable, I can crank it pretty loud and don't worry about hurting my hearing. I also have a Campfire Atlas IEM, like it a lot as well, the IEM is more detailed and can go pretty loud in my ear and more suitable for office and on the move usable.

Would be interested to get an headphone amp next to see if that elevate the headphone to a new level.

With my current setup, I think Michael Jackson's Bad (from Tidal streaming) sounds the best in the playlist I just listened...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #4,526 of 4,580
AKG's K7XX or Q701 is picky about amp.

I agree. When I plug in both my AKG K7XX and Sennheiser HD650 into the Lake People G109S (with dual headphone outputs) both headphones are more or less the same volume. This amp has plenty of juice and has no problem cleanly driving the 300 ohm HD650's with a sensitivity of 103 db/V. Puzzling that the K7XX needs to be driven so hard when considering it is only 62 ohms with a sensitivity of 105 db/V.

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #4,527 of 4,580
Recently got a Massdrop AKG K7XX red edition. Enjoying it a lot! I am now playing it straight out of an AK A&Futura SE100. The DAP seems to drive the headphone just fine.

This is the first time I purchased a open back headphone. It is quite enjoyable, I can crank it pretty loud and don't worry about hurting my hearing. I also have a Campfire Atlas IEM, like it a lot as well, the IEM is more detailed and can go pretty loud in my ear and more suitable for office and on the move usable.

Would be interested to get an headphone amp next to see if that elevate the headphone to a new level.

With my current setup, I think Michael Jackson's Bad (from Tidal streaming) sounds the best in the playlist I just listened...

I've found that the K7XX is somewhat picky to get the sound that I like out of them but if just talking about playing loud then they are fairly easy to drive. I've tried my K7XX on quite a few different amps (Elise, HA501, Icon HP-8mk2, Lyr2, Asgard2, Magni3, DarkStar, V280, BH Crack, Gustard H10, and a few others and found that I seem to like them best with a hybrid amp like my Ember or a Vali2 that I borrowed from a friend, gives the bass a nice solid thump and keeps the highs nice and smooth.

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #4,528 of 4,580
I've found that the K7XX is somewhat picky to get the sound that I like out of them but if just talking about playing loud then they are fairly easy to drive. I've tried my K7XX on quite a few different amps (Elise, HA501, Icon HP-8mk2, Lyr2, Asgard2, Magni3, DarkStar, V280, BH Crack, Gustard H10, and a few others and found that I seem to like them best with a hybrid amp like my Ember or a Vali2 that I borrowed from a friend, gives the bass a nice solid thump and keeps the highs nice and smooth.

They like Natural but not neutral, anything to neutral (flatly uncolored or dry) will make them sound either to analytical or a bit shrill. I find thats actually ok for movies, TV and video games but not quite lovable for music. Rotel, Bryston, and NAD products are all hard no's imo.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #4,529 of 4,580
How do you feel them 2 (Ember and Vali) compare? My top favorite hybrid would be the I+, which sounds more colored and IME benefits more from tube rolling than the Vali 2, but I’ve never really compare them to the Ember.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #4,530 of 4,580

Yep, my resolution with the best amping on the 702 came when John (JDS Labs) built me a proprietary CMOY (dual 9 Volt) to dive mine and they are just a different beast now. My V2 even sounds better than my JDS C421 with them. IMO the 702/7XX's can be driven without amps but for me at least amping is like night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back