The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 17, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #4,546 of 4,580
For anyone who is interested check this thread: Vintage AKG Comparisons! Including: K400, K340, K240 Sextett
I did not compare K7XX on that comparative review but may do if you comment me there... Used K7XX for visual comparison only...
Vintage_AKG_Comparisons_by_Baycode_24.jpg

May 18, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #4,547 of 4,580
Nice collection, @Baycode . @tdogzthmn sits next to me working on Audiophile at Drop and he brings those vintage AKG in but substitutes a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp for the Darkvoice. Those are really nice phones. Classic.

May 18, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,548 of 4,580
Nice collection, @Baycode . @tdogzthmn sits next to me working on Audiophile at Drop and he brings those vintage AKG in but substitutes a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp for the Darkvoice. Those are really nice phones. Classic.

Thanks @CEE TEE

Recently K400 is getting more head-time. I really appreciate AKG engineers (both sound and parts) at that time. Approximately 30 years ago they set some serious standards (sonically) which still can be traced in K7XX.

PS: Have a nice work @tdogzthmn :beerchug:

May 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #4,549 of 4,580
I’ve had a very good experience with the K7XX overall for over 3 years now. I think it is one of the best headphones on the market, all things considered. Hard to beat for $200 brand new.

May 20, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #4,550 of 4,580
I’ve had a very good experience with the K7XX overall for over 3 years now. I think it is one of the best headphones on the market, all things considered. Hard to beat for $200 brand new.

Agreed.

May 20, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4,551 of 4,580
I really enjoyed mine, but then I got the Massdrop Sennheiser Jubilees, and they fit my preferred sound signature better. Then I got the Burson Playmate, which has tons of power, and tried the K7XXs when I was breaking it in, and WOW! They really responded to the extra power. They are now getting equal time whenever I use the Playmate, because it really makes them sing.

May 20, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #4,552 of 4,580
I really enjoyed mine, but then I got the Massdrop Sennheiser Jubilees, and they fit my preferred sound signature better. Then I got the Burson Playmate, which has tons of power, and tried the K7XXs when I was breaking it in, and WOW! They really responded to the extra power. They are now getting equal time whenever I use the Playmate, because it really makes them sing.

I never got used to HD58X sound. I couldn't feel the emotion of the sound with them. I sold both pairs (used and NIB headphones). Still keeping K7XX though.

Anyone having any problems with K7XX letters on earcups? Mine faded away after 1 year of use (which can be seen on my Vintage AKG review page). Interesting but I never wipe clean or touch those letters and I always baby my AKG's. Very very dissapointing! :/ Is this situation covered by warranty?

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,553 of 4,580
I created a teardown guide for the K7XX, which will allow you to get all the way down to the bare driver and fix whatever needs to be fixed, including the infamous creaking gimble issue so many of us have had. Other fixes include driver rattle caused from hair, broken wires, and general cleaning.

As far as I can tell, all AKG models with this same design can also follow this guide (K702 K712 K612 etc etc)

https://imgur.com/a/gs0cRAB

May 30, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #4,554 of 4,580
May 30, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #4,555 of 4,580
I picked up a set from Blinq for a song, and I've been enjoying them so far. But I just twisted off the pads and notice the small foam circles are just loose inside there. Is that the way they come when new?

I've been trying the Brainwavz big perforated pads too, but I'm not sure they change the tone in any good way.

May 31, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,556 of 4,580
I picked up a set from Blinq for a song, and I've been enjoying them so far. But I just twisted off the pads and notice the small foam circles are just loose inside there. Is that the way they come when new?

I've been trying the Brainwavz big perforated pads too, but I'm not sure they change the tone in any good way.

Yes the foam rings are supposed to be like that.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #4,558 of 4,580
Just got a used pair of these. I like them more than the similarly priced HE-4XX and 6XX, particularly for the soundstage. I've not seen it mentioned in this thread, but for those who EQ Sonarworks Reference 4 seems to improve them more than any of my others except the HD 700. Didn't notice the graininess until toggling the adjustment on or off. This is out of a Hugo 2.

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #4,560 of 4,580
The clear plastic parts on mine both broke as well. Seems to be indicative of the overall build quality of these K7** models. That said it doesn't seem to affect functionality at all.

The problem I'm having with mine is finding original replacement pads, they don't exist. So far I've tried two Dekoni pads, the 'Elite Valour' and 'Fenestration Sheepskin'. They feel okay but change the sound way too much and not for the better.

It's getting to the point where it'll be cheaper just to buy another K7XX from Drop.

Can anyone recommend some pads that sound the same or very close to the stock pads?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back