The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,711 of 4,580
Yes.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,712 of 4,580
  Needle point tweezers to twist unlock the covers. No regrets. I now have deeper bass detail so just what I was looking for. If you can stick the stickers back on with tweezers then sure it is reversible but it's pretty tight.

Thanks for that. I'm going to order a set of tweezers and give this mod a try because I've always felt the bass was lacking (I'm no bass head, but still).

For the bass port mod do you have to take apart the whole cover like this link?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod

Awesome, will use this as reference.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,713 of 4,580
A couple people on that link did this mod with just removing the grill. I am going to try it tonight, someone suggested toothpicks to loosen up the glue on the sticker and then tweezers to pull it off - without unscrewing the second part. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,714 of 4,580
  Needle point tweezers to twist unlock the covers. No regrets. I now have deeper bass detail so just what I was looking for. If you can stick the stickers back on with tweezers then sure it is reversible but it's pretty tight.

I love the tight, textured bass of the k7xx. Does removing the sticker negatively affect the tight, textured bass?

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,715 of 4,580
  I love the tight, textured bass of the k7xx. Does removing the sticker negatively affect the tight, textured bass?

Through my amp and for my preference I have not noticed any negative, only positive. Only you can say if the mod benefits your preference!

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,716 of 4,580

I got my set from the last drop today. I am looking forward to checking them out a bit tonight.
One thing I have to note, and it will have little bearing on how much I like these...
For a set of headphones listed at $650 MSRP... the packaging is real cheap.

Can anyone comment on how it matches up with the other AKG phones in this class.

I know I am being a bit petty.. but I am curious.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,717 of 4,580

I got my set from the last drop today. I am looking forward to checking them out a bit tonight.
One thing I have to note, and it will have little bearing on how much I like these...
For a set of headphones listed at $650 MSRP... the packaging is real cheap.

Can anyone comment on how it matches up with the other AKG phones in this class.

I know I am being a bit petty.. but I am curious.

I feel that the packaging is cheap aswell, although my K7XX's went through 2 other head-fiers before i recieved it. they've been sent to AKG for repair currently but i sent them as a box in a box. used a HUGE newegg box to put the first box in lol. there going to recieve it and think "what the hell is in here"

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,718 of 4,580
I did the bass port mod. Easy as pie, no need to unscrew anything. Definitely an increase in subbass that is nice. Sounds good, reminds me of the he500.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,719 of 4,580
I did the bass port mod. Easy as pie, no need to unscrew anything. Definitely an increase in subbass that is nice. Sounds good, reminds me of the he500.

Care to comment some more on the process that you used?
Please.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #1,720 of 4,580
Sure. I pulled off grills by unscrewing a few millimetres counterclockwise. Then I had my son shine a flashlight in the holes while I picked away at the edges of the slicker with a toothpick. Once the edge of the slicker that is visible was loose, I used tweezers to pull the rest of the sticker off and out. Really easy.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,721 of 4,580
A slight comparison with the HE-400i that I posted in another thread...

Okay, after playing with the alcantaras for a short while I quickly went back to the Focus pads on the 400i so I can start comparing to the K7XX. Based on short impressions, the two are far more similar than different. The K7XX has slightly more bass, soundstage, and treble. The obvious difference, and yet still slightly, is the 400i having more forward mids, and man are they beautiful. So clear, so smooth, and yet gentle on the ears. I've been needing a headphone with forward mids that doesn't bore me, and I think I have found it. Though, I would consider the 400i to be more neutral than mid-centric when compared to something like the MA900 and such (mainly because of the more present treble on the 400i).

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,722 of 4,580
OMG i cant wait, im still waiting on mine due to weather T_T, Im going to be powering these with Lehmann Black Cube Linear and a Cayin C5 for portable use. Anyone have experience with these products or any input if you think it will be a good set up?

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,723 of 4,580
Sure. I pulled off grills by unscrewing a few millimetres counterclockwise. Then I had my son shine a flashlight in the holes while I picked away at the edges of the slicker with a toothpick. Once the edge of the slicker that is visible was loose, I used tweezers to pull the rest of the sticker off and out. Really easy.

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,725 of 4,580
Mine is gonna be powered by a NAD D 7050 soon, ordered today. The D 3020 is great but I've been eyeing the 7050 prices lately and the extra network streaming features and VFD rotating display are deal makers for me over the D 3020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back